Garmin to Avidyne:)

I switched a 530W for an IFD540 and love it.

It will be a great tool as I start my ifr training. It looks really intuitive and plug and play. I'm thinking about another 440 or moving somethings to get a 540 in the stack when the bk170b bites the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So let the rest of us know what in hindsight the biggest improvements are. I'm thinking about it!

For sure, I've been doing nothing but reading the manuals. It was hard to pass up with the trade in.

1. Flight planning - virtually no entering of any letters or numbers. Once you get started, it anticipates where the route will go and about as fast as you can click enter, it's building the route including Victor airways.
  2. Software radios - first off it anticipates the next frequency you'll need based on where you are. Second, you can save commonly used freq's. Third, create two or three standby spots and monitor them.
  3. The IFD100 - free and while it's brand new, I expect it to largely displace ForeFlight/GarminPilot/WingX as the most useful inflight iPad app.
  4. Procedure preview - it knows the procedures you're likely to need and provides the list, and as you scroll through them, they are previewed on the map screen making it easy to choose.
  5. Roughly 75% fewer clicks to get a given task done as on my 530.
  • Like 5

Just updated the software to 10.2, and downloaded the IFD 100 app. The data input capabilities and the synthetic vision are amazing. Can't wait to get the plane out of annual to experience it all. :D

• Like 1

Just updated the software to 10.2, and downloaded the IFD 100 app. The data input capabilities and the synthetic vision are amazing. Can't wait to get the plane out of annual to experience it all. 

Did you do the install yourself?

I don't like the USB port on the front isn't enough to charge my iPad mini while using foreflight. But other than that so far so good. I like that it tells you what the frequency is if you have it put in right or not. Another good check.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I don't like the USB port on the front isn't enough to charge my iPad mini while using foreflight. But other than that so far so good. I like that it tells you what the frequency is if you have it put in right or not. Another good check.

Interesting. I have an IFD540 in my plane, and if I start a 3-4 hour flight at full charge in my iPad Mini, I end up at my destination at about 100%, using Wing X Pro. I wonder if the 540 has a greater charging capacity or if Foreflight consumes more resources on the iPAd. Having begun at less than 100% charge, though, I can tell you I won't end up at a higher percentage of charge than I started.

• Like 1

Interesting. I have an IFD540 in my plane, and if I start a 3-4 hour flight at full charge in my iPad Mini, I end up at my destination at about 100%, using Wing X Pro. I wonder if the 540 has a greater charging capacity or if Foreflight consumes more resources on the iPAd. Having begun at less than 100% charge, though, I can tell you I won't end up at a higher percentage of charge than I started.

I flew safety pilot over the last couple of days for an owner who recently had a GTX-345 installed. I was able to Bluetooth connect to it. Amazing how much traffic was found.

I did note though that it ate through my iPad battery running Garmin Pilot faster than a fat man at a pie eating contest. Both flights were 1.5 hours. Fully charged iPad yesterday was down to 35% and this afternoon it was down to 18%. Gobble gobble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I put in one of these....

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/trueblueusb11-12159.php

I bought a dual charge 2.4 amp USB adapter that I plugged into my cigarette lighter... ahem... "accessory port."  It charges my iPad and runs my stratux.  Cost 15 bucks.

• Like 1

Many of the O1s have 24V going to the panel socket.  Newer Os got a transformer mounted in the back to step the plug down to a convenient 12V.

Many of the USB plugs that go in that socket are 24V.  They conveniently have the specs labeled on them.

There are many trucks with 24V systems, making getting what you need not so much of a challenge.

Best regards,

-a-

I bought this after recommended by another MSer.  No static on radios and looks almost like a flush mounted manufactured USB charger when plugged into cigar lighter.

61nOtaWSZoL._SX522_.jpg

I have the same unit (12 Volt system) but it doesn't fit in my 12 Volt "accessory socket", as it has a smaller barrel diameter, but it does fit a 90 degree adapter perfectly. Strange, but I have run into this with German automotive cigarette lighter sockets. Actually the adapter keeps the cable out of the way.

Many of the O1s have 24V going to the panel socket.  Newer Os got a transformer mounted in the back to step the plug down to a convenient 12V.
Many of the USB plugs that go in that socket are 24V.  They conveniently have the specs labeled on them.
There are many trucks with 24V systems, making getting what you need not so much of a challenge.
Best regards,
-a-

Interesting I didn't know they put transformers on later ones, learn something new every day!

Just now, gsengle said:

Interesting I didn't know they put transformers on later ones, learn something new every day!

Funny- I had only seen the O2 GX... it has 14V at the outlet, so I assumed all O's were the same!  My bad....