Rocket Engineering

Ben E.

3 hours ago, M016576 said:

Not sure the tail could take that kind of speed.... just looking at Vne.... 

In a turboprop conversion the redline is moved down to the top of the green.  No yellow arc.  In a M20V the top of the green is 174 KIAS.  AT FL280 that’s still a respectable 280 KTAS.  And flutter is a function of TAS.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M016576 said:

Not sure the tail could take that kind of speed.... just looking at Vne.... 

Word on the street is that when rocket engineering did the liquid rocket conversion to the M20L airframe, with 350hp tsioL550, they did some air frame beef-up including gussets welded in certain places to stiffen the wings.  Does anyone know if this is true for sure?  Did that move the indicated marked air speeds?

In any case, I would presume such a thing could be done to a mooney air frame and it would fly nicely with 450hp (notice I bumped it up a bit more since we are dreaming and not in the world of reality). (In engineering terms I am confident it could be done.  In regulatory terms - not likely.  In economic terms of todays market, no way).  (If I had the cash to think of converting a M20 to turbo prop and the cost in today's market - I would scoop up one of the older TBM700s instead - that's your turbo prop Mooney M30).

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

In a turboprop conversion the redline is moved down to the top of the green.  No yellow arc.  In a M20V the top of the green is 174 KIAS.  AT FL280 that’s still a respectable 280 KTAS.  And flutter is a function of TAS.  

280 is probably good enough!

But see what I mentioned about how the air frame was strengthened for the liquid rocket - maybe that would allow the actual marked green arc to increase a bit.

• Like 1

Shades of excess...   When discussing power...

Especially as the throttle is first pressed in... Or during the climb...

• a bit of excess is good.
  • a touch of excess is better.
  • way in excess is best...

Glad I could sum that up a tad clearer... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 12:42 AM, carusoam said:

While doing the comparisons...

Keep your eye on this thing... Lots of goodies... Fiki, WAAS, G1000, 310hp..

But priced to match...

It’s what the Missile grew into...

Can you see the future?  :)

I started with a C, looked at a J, some MSer was selling their Missile, by the time 2008 happened/finished, I was buying the O...

Best regards,

-a-

That's my friend's airplane, it is beautiful and it has been maintained by the Doc so you know it's in tip top shape.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ohdub said:

That's my friend's airplane, it is beautiful and it had been maintained by the Doc so you know it's in tip top shape.

I was going to ask...

I was thinking the words MSC maintained would have been in bold letters...   :)

Maintenance overseen by M20Doc would be meaningful to any MSer...

Not knowing the answer.... I was afraid to bring up something in somebody else’s for sale ad... :D

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1