Mooney interior repairs.

capthaak

You  need some kind of fiberglass cloth to back up the repair on this stuff. Plastic is flexible and epoxy  is not.  Hardware store epoxy is flexible but doesn't adhere. The adhesive on tape lets go after parking in the sun a Few days.  After a short time the crack opens up again. Try some aircraft epoxy and some 7781 fiberglass cloth.  Heat the area and reform it with small pieces of paint stir stick and a spring clamp. Then 80 Grit sandpaper the back of the panel, epoxy and 3 layers of cloth. I've done these repairs to my J model going on 4 years ago and it is still true to shape and not cracked.  I've rebuilt the cowling,the dorsal fin the plastic interior  panels.  Even fabricated new lower gear doors from carbon fiber.  

At one time this screw was pulled completely through. I also fabricated the plenum pieces the vents sit in 

IMG_4857.JPG

Edited by jetdriven

I had really good luck fixing my panels up with Legos and glass cloth.  Legos are straight abs plastic so I cut them up and mixed them with acetone in a small glass jar .  Let it sit until the legos are completely dissolved.  It it is too watery just let the container sit uncovered for a bit.  The acetone flashes off quickly.  If it is too thick add acetone.  I fixed cracks and large voids by using this slurry and the glass cloth on the back side of the panel.  I applied the slurry with modelers paint brushes and often would paint on and build up layers on the visible side of the panel. Once fully cured I would paint the part.  Sometimes sanding was required and often I would softly bead-blast the repaired area to blend the textures together.  When I was careful the repair would be completely hidden.  

I liked using this method because I was essentially welding the repair to the original panel.  The acetone would "melt" the surrounding panel into the repair.  

Acetone is some nasty stuff, so be sure to use in a very well ventilated area.       

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

http://www.jaegeraviation.com/sinteriors
Jaeger who also does the entire interior also sells repair kits with instructions.  I have not tried it myself, however he was as this past Mooney Summit with samples of repairs using his kit, they turn out very nice.

It's these instructions I was going by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/01-00545-45.php?recfer=1801

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/01-00542-45.php

This right here is the s#$% for repairing your panels! Mine were total basket cases and they look good as new. Stuff is amazing, you can even recreate broken off tabs and fabricate small missing areas as well. It does take a little effort and a dremel type tool to widen cracked areas to prep for the repair. Then I painted them with gray stone textured spray paint from Michael's, they look great and it didn't cost much $.

Look up plastifix on youtube, you will see them repair motorcycle fairings with it.

Edited by Mooney_Mike

One of my A&P's friends (fellow M20c owner) thought me recently the perfect method to repair cracks and fill in missing pieces. Cut a piece of fiberglass about 1" wider than the repair and apply superglue by spreading it with your finger moving very quickly. I found that protecting your finger with a piece of plastic works better than wearing gloves. Key is to move "Mooneyfast".  Uncle's Don Hobby Store in Palm Desert sells superglue with different viscosity and an activator curing the glue in less than 1 minute. This method makes it easy to line up the cracks and hold them in place until the glue has set. I will post some pictures next weekend.