Johnson Bar Stuck!

12 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Not sure about you electrical engineering majors.

That E=IR Ohms law formula sort of flummoxed me.

I think the Brits say Gobsmaked??

Ohms law is easy. All you have to know is the Eagle, Indian and Rabbit. It is all about perspective.

The eagle sees the Indian and rabbit at the same level; E=IR

The Indian sees the eagle over the rabbit; I=E/R

The rabbit sees eagle over the Indian; R=E/I

Some people just try to make things too difficult. 

• Like 5

But these things apply to any airplane. In any airplane, it's important to stay ahead of the airplane, be an active participant, fly the plane, don't just ride along, etc, etc, etc. Mooney's certainly require more attention than a C172 or a Cherokee, but no more so than say a Bonanza, Cirrus, or Columbia. I've taken off in my Mooney completely out of trim, I've landed at 90kts, I've gone around with full up trim, gear out, flaps down, it's a non-event. Granted, I have no Long body experience, but in my short body C and the mid-body K, it was the same. 
Pay attention and fly the airplane... works in the Mooney just like every other piston single I've flown.

Your comment about "Mooney's certainly require more attention than..." was my point. I'm 6'4" and a former college athlete. Doing a go around in a Mooney with the trim near full nose up is a heck of lot different than doing the same thing in a 172. I was glad I did a few more sets back in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

Your comment about "Mooney's certainly require more attention than..." was my point. I'm 6'4" and a former college athlete. Doing a go around in a Mooney with the trim near full nose up is a heck of lot different than doing the same thing in a 172. I was glad I did a few more sets back in the day. emoji12.png

Very true!  But only a pilot masquerading as a passenger would be surprised by such an event. If you're a pilot, act like one and fly the airplane :huh:

• Like 2

Very true!  But only a pilot masquerading as a passenger would be surprised by such an event. If you're a pilot, act like one and fly the airplane :huh:

I think this is the transition thing "pilots" are talking about when you move up to a different airframe. Despite being what I think is a thorough pilot, it was those first hundred hours where I did most of my "stupid Mooney tricks". I was fortunate that I didn't bend metal or worse. I think I have learned over the years what not to do, but I am maintaining the vigilance and avoiding becoming complacent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

All this staying ahead of the plane stuff. 

I get in the plane and look at all the stuff and wonder what it is for?

Then my hands start flying around doing stuff and I wonder what is going on?

Next thing I know the plane is flying and I wonder how I got here? Some strange voice keeps coming out of my mouth talking in codes. Huh? 

Oh well, the view is pretty good from up here.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

If you think organic was bad, try biochemistry.

Don't get me started...my son is wrapping up a doctorate in molecular biology and considers engineering janitorial.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HRM said:

Don't get me started...my son is wrapping up a doctorate in molecular biology and considers engineering janitorial.

It's all good but some of the smartest people don't know the first thing about how to fix a toilet or cook a decent roast 

back to the OP take a look at the lock block if it looks old or worn just order the new block from LASAR they are not that expensive then when you have it on jacks and say oh I need a new block you already have it and even if it's not real bad the new one will be perfect 

• Like 2

Don't know a thing about lock blocks. But I did rebuild a Emergency Extension Disconnect.  So there is that. The only way it applies to the Business computer degree is the cost benefit ratio analysis of having someone that does not know what they are doing do it.  I don't know what all those letters are in your Ohms law A=W/V is what I had to learn.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:05 AM, MBDiagMan said:

If there is even a remote need for a new block or anything else I will replace it.

Let's see, your C is a '63. Ohms law says that the plane is over 50 years old. I'd say replace the thing.

Mine was sort of loose and worn and so I just told my IA to replace it at annual. Easy-peasy and not that expensive. Now it is as tight and smooth as a <insert cockpit humor here>.

Good for another 50+ years. 

(OK, I am assuming that you checked your logs and it has never been replaced.)

Edited by HRM
Add disclaimer.

14 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:
  • Has anyone tried twisting the handle while pushing the button?  Would this help?

It should not. The keeper pin fits in the slot below the "mushroom" shaped tip of the sleeve which can spin on the tube. Pushing it forward  and perhaps lifting slightly should minimize the friction on the pin. Again, it is helpful to get the plane on jacks and play with it. Check clearances behind and below the bar.

Okay, my Mooney mechanic who used to fly a Johnson Bar Mooney quite a lot himself, told me to twist the handle when pressing the button.  I had an important trip to Grand Prairie, underneath the DFW Bravo.  I really needed to go because of my 93 year old Moms needs so did not want to wait for the mechanic to jack it up.  I took off at 7AM this morning.  Just off the runway after seeing positive rate of climb, I pushed the button and twisted the handle.  Worked like a charm.  Did it again when coming home.

A benefit of the trip was being cleared into Bravo both ways and getting comfortable with doing that in the Mooney.  I am getting more comfortable with the plane and with the 430 also.

thanks for all your responses.  My manual gear confidence is now extremely high.  I LOVE my Mooney!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

A benefit of the trip was being cleared into Bravo both ways and getting comfortable with doing that in the Mooney.  I am getting more comfortable with the plane and with the 430 also.

thanks for all your responses.  My manual gear confidence is now extremely high.  I LOVE my Mooney!

And you were so worried just a couple of months ago that it would be too much plane for you . . . Congratulations!

You're right Hank!  I have always had a confidence problem and it showed up here.  I still have some habits to develop and some things to get used to, but I am at a level of confidence, as well as adequate solo hours for insurance to allow passengers, that I will be giving my girlfriend a ride soon.  Possibly tomorrow.   She is as excited about it as I am.

Thanks for following all this and for giving me encouragement and advice along the way.  Many of you have helped greatly!

• Like 2

I am leaving for a three week European vacation week after next.  My Mooney mechanic is going to put it on jacks and inspect everything while I am gone.  I really am not worried about it coming unlatched though.  If it were sloppy fitting I don't think it would be difficult to get the bar out of the block.  Also while the gear was up and I was flying today, I reached up in the block with my finger and did not feel any worn ridges or anything.

Pchem was my favorite class.

The professor handed back the first tests in grade order.  

First test he handed out came with a line like "if you keep this up you'll never pass my class"

I worked extra hard for that A. Chemical engineering is challenging.  That class is the hardest.

You knew where you fit in when you were done.  Grades always got fit to a curve. A dozen kids in the class, two or three were going to get an A.

The most important and most useable aspect of Pchem was how to handle related rates mathematically.

we could use math to prove that the Mooney is the better traveler.  Or we could use impirical data to do the same...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Turns out the leather (?) sleve/sock (just below the floor at the junction of the j bar and the actuating rods) was binding when the j bar was up (gear down position) VERY hard to disengage to get the gear up.

Worth a look. HTH.

My first thought would be to lube the lock, pin and handle slide with 100% silicone spray. Go the easiest route first. 

O chem? P chem? microbio? No way! Just give me a good ol' CATIII into ATL in a 727-200  I was in heaven then! (Yes, CAT III in a 727). 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 11:34 PM, carusoam said:

Pchem was my favorite class.

After Analytical it was my favorite chemistry class. I broke one of the last seven custom made isoteniscopes in existence and the professor cried. He still gave me an A for the course. Four years later my kid brother told me there were still six left. He also said the prof watched him like a hawk the entire lab period :lol:

• Like 1