ATC Clearance Experiment

Kristoffer

Thanks for sharing the details of some of the wackiness encountered with IFR flight.

I got trained in Theoretical IFR flying.  Training for Physical IFR flying takes a little longer...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

There was a time when I gave up and just took to filing direct.  I figured if they were just going to give me something else anyways, why bother.  I don't fly as much IFR anymore and the planning software does a little better, but even then I never seem to get the full route.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Good video. I enjoy all of his yours.

Thank you for watching/subscribing & giving positive feedback! I try to make each one have a purpose besides just showing a flight. Which can be more difficult then you think. LOL

5 hours ago, takair said:

There was a time when I gave up and just took to filing direct.  I figured if they were just going to give me something else anyways, why bother.  I don't fly as much IFR anymore and the planning software does a little better, but even then I never seem to get the full route.

Sometimes no matter what the software says local knowledge knows better. Even still, sometimes I just don't understand. LOL

Same thing happens to me when flying from Washingtons North Olympic Peninsua to Southeast Washington. The clearance is always radar vectors (to north of PAE) PAE SEA V2 ELN.  The route is always vectors to Bandr (on V2 east if SEA). Whidby approach told me that Seattle approach has a required route for the handoff. 

17 hours ago, Kristoffer said:

Thank you for watching/subscribing & giving positive feedback! I try to make each one have a purpose besides just showing a flight. Which can be more difficult then you think. LOL

I have an idea. It's why I cut the very few in-flight videos I post down to 3 minutes, nothing more than a snapshot, what I think is a pretty picture, usually without ATC. I can't imagine sustaining what you do. 

• Like 1

No surprises there, it happens to me all the time. As the controller stated, they need to keep us west of Palm Beach. What I have learned to do if the weather is VFR is to file starting at PBI and get Flight Following to the north, requesting to fly over KPBI at 2,000, which works 100% of the time. Once I'm approaching PBI I tell the controller that I'd like to open my IFR flight plan. So far it has worked like a charm.

• Like 1

No surprises there, it happens to me all the time. As the controller stated, they need to keep us west of Palm Beach. What I have learned to do if the weather is VFR is to file starting at PBI and get Flight Following to the north, requesting to fly over KPBI at 2,000, which works 100% of the time. Once I'm approaching PBI I tell the controller that I'd like to open my IFR flight plan. So far it has worked like a charm.

2000? Why so low?

Of course now days you also have to deal with Trump TFRs.

VFR departure in VMC is nice.  Flight following gets the system to be aware of you. Once out of the crowded space, activating the IFR flight plan is very easy...

unless, it is IMC outside... :)

Thinking along with you guys...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

2000? Why so low?

Of course now days you also have to deal with Trump TFRs.

When going north this way, Palm Beach tells you to cross of the approach end of 10L at 2,000. It's not an altitude that I personally select..

On April 5, 2017 at 10:58 AM, flyboy0681 said:

I don't mind going west. In fact since the coast slants N-NW, I'm pretty sure I do not add any time to my flight. Plus by the time I would be crossing PBI @ 2K, I am already at cruise altitude.

I was simply questioning why they can not clear me to the fix they vector me over. I even filed for the very fix they RV me over but would not issue in my clearance. 

On 4/1/2017 at 7:11 AM, takair said:

That's what I do unless there is a very specific reason, say I want to go around a body of water instead of over it.  90% of the time, at least, I just file direct.  They are going to give me some kind of routing, they will have me shortcut most of the waypoints, and then part way through the routing they will give me direct destination.  Why fight it?