High FBO fees.

Mooneymite

55 minutes ago, peevee said:

Ok3 has airnav comments turned off

As a rule, I don't stop at FBO's who have their Airnav comments turned off. Sometimes, when I'm feeling a bit snarky, I'll call to ask about fees, and then while on the phone tell them, "oh, nevermind, I see you don't allow comments on Airnav. I won't be stopping then at your place."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

As a rule, I don't stop at FBO's who have their Airnav comments turned off. Sometimes, when I'm feeling a bit snarky, I'll call to ask about fees, and then while on the phone tell them, "oh, nevermind, I see you don't allow comments on Airnav. I won't be stopping then at your place."

Yeah, I agree. I didn't check the rates because I had been there the summer before and they weren't bad. Next time I'll just go to Spanish fork or south valley.

1 hour ago, jrwilson said:

Yep, south valley 

Busy little field. I stopped in there to get a dog on the way home for pilots n paws and accidentally timed it with the outdoor expo show (that is in Denver now, suck it Utah) and there wasn't a car to be found and the only hotel a Travelodge for 300 bucks so we hopped to heber before the hotels there filled up. Turned out we liked heber so much we've gone back. You gotta swim in the crater, it's too weird not to.

Been into South Valley a few times now. The old FBO closed but it is open again and run by the City/County? They waive the tie down fee if you buy fuel. Found out last time I was there that full service is the same price as self service, after getting the self service to save some money... (I think it was $5/gal) They treat you well, tie the plane down for you, give you the gate code if you need to leave before they open, have cold water bottles if you leave while they are open. 

I can't comment on rental cars. I have family that lives 15 minutes away and they either pick us work I grab an Uber to their place if everyone's too busy to get over to pick us up. 

I flew into Spanish Fork earlier in July because South Valley had the runway closed for resurfacing. They are great there too. Friendly, provided tie down straps, waive the overnight parking if you buy fuel which was reasonably priced for the area. 

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Here's my experience with AIRNAV comments. A few months ago I needed to fly into an airport just to pick up a friend on our way to a $500 hamburger. I wrote to the FBO and inquired whether there would be a fee and the reply was yes, $30. I was outraged enough to write an AIRNAV comment, which caught the attention of the manager of the FBO. He sent me a message explaining that the person who replied to me about the $30 ramp fee wasn't fully aware of their policy and he assured me that for a simple pickup and drop off that there wouldn't be a fee. He invited me to stop by, and as promised, there was no fee and they were very accommodating.

After that trip I followed up on my original posting and wrote that it was a misunderstanding and that I rescind my original posting. Not only was my original posting removed from the comments area, but my new posting was embellished and didn't mention my previous post at all.

10 minutes ago, bradp said:

Wait - so airnav is rewriting your comments? 

Most definitely. While the overall gist of what now appears on the site was based upon my follow up post, it is not exactly as I had written it and some things that I had mentioned were removed.

4 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Most definitely. While the overall gist of what now appears on the site was based upon my follow up post, it is not exactly as I had written it and some things that I had mentioned were removed.

That's very surprising. Deleting is one thing.  Modifying is another. 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 12:13 PM, Mooneymite said:

Jose' I can agree that "avoidance" is a great survival technique, but what is going on is wrong.  We are being denied access to airports that our dollars go to support by monopolies supported by greedy airport commissions.  The Signature at ATL pays its people the same as at other locations, it pays for electricity just like every other location, and it passes through the ATL charges via landing fees, but it charges $9 for avgas.  And you better like it and buy it because you have no other choice at the tax funded ATL airport.

While we may be able to avoid this FBO, AOPA needs to call attention to this abuse, or every FBO will follow suit and there will be no "work around" no matter where you go.

These FBOs prefer on their ramp the big corporate jet coming for 500 gallons than the little piston Mooney coming for 25 gallons. They also have a higher airport rent to pay. For maintenance they do not want a Mooney taking the hangar space of a Lear 55 paying $1,200 for an oil change. When I taxi to these FBOs I never get the red carpet but parked on the back at the pistons ghetto.

José

Edited by Piloto

46 minutes ago, Piloto said:

These FBOs prefer on their ramp the big corporate jet coming for 500 gallons than the little piston Mooney coming for 25 gallons.

I see the jet side and I see the prop side. Yes, I understand the service level required by the jet customers, but wht can't there be two levels of service?  90% of the time all we need is a tiny parking space and a gate to get off the airport. How hard is that?

I can bring my own chocks. When I need more, I'll gladly pay for more. 

8 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Chocks and ropes live in my plane. Bless the hatrack! Never know when I'll need them. Just used a chock at a slanted self serve fuel pump last week.

14 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I see the jet side and I see the prop side. Yes, I understand the service level required by the jet customers, but wht can't there be two levels of service?  90% of the time all we need is a tiny parking space and a gate to get off the airport. How hard is that?

With only one option for fuel and service at many locations, I would argue that a paying customer should be treated the same across the board. There may be perks for the corporate jets since they spend more, but I shouldn't be treated worse or differently because I'm coming in to buy 25 gallons instead of 500. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LevelWing said:

With only one option for fuel and service at many locations, I would argue that a paying customer should be treated the same across the board. There may be perks for the corporate jets since they spend more, but I shouldn't be treated worse or differently because I'm coming in to buy 25 gallons instead of 500. 

Hmmmm.  I tend to disagree.  I think the "one size fits all" is the reason we end up with jet fees.  Jets are very needy.  Jet operators have to have certain things available even if they don't need them all the time.  Maintaining power carts, jet start carts, lav carts, air conditioning carts is very expensive.  Why should we have to support that equipment?

Give me very little (relatively)...charge me appropriately.

AGC is a good example.  

FBO is great. Has reasonable fees.  There are two on the field. Gas was among the cheapest I’ve seen for a city FBO (KBAF is another example of it “working” without gouging).   And there’s a public parking and a gate at the base of the tower.   Parking there is $4/night vs $20/night and the FBO is happy to come out to fuel you in the public spots. The base of the tower is public during normal hours and has restrooms and vending.  

It does get a bit dicey in winter though - the public spots are thenlast to be cleared so there might not be parking available.

In contrast to the Airport authority who really don’t want small GA, the FBOs have the right atttude. 

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Hmmmm.  I tend to disagree.  I think the "one size fits all" is the reason we end up with jet fees.  Jets are very needy.  Jet operators have to have certain things available even if they don't need them all the time.  Maintaining power carts, jet start carts, lav carts, air conditioning carts is very expensive.  Why should we have to support that equipment?

Give me very little (relatively)...charge me appropriately.

I was referring to the customer service aspect (how customers are treated), not paying for services which we don't need nor want. I agree with you that we shouldn't be paying to maintain equipment that jets need and use.

I’m curious what fees are exorbitant.

Here’s one datum point: I utilize Air Bound Aviation at KCDW a couple times a month. It is a full service red carpet FBO. Being the only FBO at the airport and in the NY Class B and very often in the POTUS TFR,  one would think the charges would be prohibitive for us. But it’s not so! Officially their parking fee is 25$ and waived with a 20 gal fuel purchase. However, they do waive it with “some” fuel purchase. I say “some” because there have been times when I couln’t take all 20 gal and they still didn’t charge me extra. I think they are very fair. 

• 3 weeks later...

We travelled to St. Simons (SSI) and were given the option of paying $20 ramp fee (1 night), or buy 15 gallons of avgas.  My home drome is selling avgas $1.55 cheaper than SSI, so it was cheaper/faster to just pay the ramp fee.

SSI recently built a new FBO building which obviously caters to the jets.  The FBO provides all the services jets need, but prices their ramp fees as if we needed all that stuff too.

I took the time to discuss the pricing (which used to be much more reasonable) with "Larry".  Larry seemed like he'd had the discussion many times before, but I was amused that his "reasonableness test" for the $20 fee-for-nothing was that the last time he was in Atlanta, he was charged $35 to park his car.

I guess I should just be happy the hotel in St. Simons provided free parking for our rental car!!!

Anyway, next time you visit SSI, say, "Hi" to $35-to-park-my-car-in-Atlanta Larry.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

We travelled to St. Simons (SSI) and were given the option of paying $20 ramp fee (1 night), or buy 15 gallons of avgas.  My home drome is selling avgas $1.55 cheaper than SSI, so it was cheaper/faster to just pay the ramp fee.

SSI recently built a new FBO building which obviously caters to the jets.  The FBO provides all the services jets need, but prices their ramp fees as if we needed all that stuff too.

I took the time to discuss the pricing (which used to be much more reasonable) with "Larry".  Larry seemed like he'd had the discussion many times before, but I was amused that his "reasonableness test" for the $20 fee-for-nothing was that the last time he was in Atlanta, he was charged $35 to park his car.

I guess I should just be happy the hotel in St. Simons provided free parking for our rental car!!!

Anyway, next time you visit SSI, say, "Hi" to $35-to-park-my-car-in-Atlanta Larry.  :lol:

$20 sounds pretty damn reasonable if it included a nights parking as well.

On SSI, I've stopped there several times to run across the street for some BBQ this past summer.  I've never been charged a fee despite not getting their expensive fuel.  In fact, earlier this year I arrived late on a Sunday after a great day of golf nearby.  They called Southern Soul BBQ for me while taxi-ing in to see if they were open.  It was close to closing time (they were not open).  The FBO felt bad and offered to drive me to Barbara Jean's.  Again, no charge.  Maybe it's just my rugged good looks.  Ha!

BTW, to park even for a few hours down the street from me in midtown ATL yesterday it was a flat $45.  Larry got a deal in ATL.

William

• 7 months later...
AINalerts
May 21, 2018

Dallas Set To Implement GA Landing Fee at Love Field

The city of Dallas plans to implement a new landing fee for general aviation operations at Dallas Love Field (DAL) this summer under a recently adopted ordinance. Approved by the Dallas city council on April 25, the ordinance takes effect July 1, specifying that the director of aviation should determine the fee based on a formula that factors aircraft weight and airport maintenance costs.

Under the formula, 80 percent of the fee will be based on airport upkeep costs that are attributable to general aviation landings and 20 percent will be calculated using an aircraft's landing weight. The fee will vary annually based on operations and maintenance needs.

According to city documents, the fee could be as much as $5.80 per 1,000 pounds in the first year. Commercial carriers currently pay $2.20 per 1,000 pounds. The city cited increasing costs for keeping up with traffic and maintenance needs in its decision to approve the fee. But airport officials also stress that they want to ensure that general aviation pays its “fair share."

The National Air Transportation Association is working with the business aviation community to monitor the implementation of the fees. Airport officials met with business aviation interests last week on the issue and are expected to continue that dialog in another meeting tomorrowevening.

Read Expanded Version

Well after 20 mins of catching up on this page, I realized I've been spoiled with my "flashy" matte Blackhawk and it's associated Jet-A thirst, I've never been charged landing fees and always get a discount on fuel, 'Merica?. I've only diverted once due to fuel prices, on my Pilot-in-Command check ride no less, KJZI even with their "Military discount" was ~ $3.00 more per gal than the Army's contracted rate. I try to be a good steward of funds when able. I guess I have to get use to paying up in the Mooney now, maybe I'll get a matte OD green paint scheme, think they'll notice the difference?  

I can't remember the BBQ place 10ish mins from KJZI, but it was a good spot if the cost of landing their wasn't so bad.