Grease Fitting size

FlyboyKC

I lost a grease fitting on my 68 M20g. I am trying to figure out what size/part number to order. Its from the landing gear and its a small grease fitting, smaller than 1/4" it seems. I tried a 6mm which seem to fit, but the treads seemed different because it didn't want to tighten. The IPC calls for a part number of MS15002-1 Spruce shows this as a 1/4-28 tapered. The IPC also shows a 3c18 51004-007 (which I can't seem to find.) and the diagram in the IPC is awful.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Neal

Expect that they are not threaded.  They are detailed in a thread around here somewhere.  They have a tendency to fall out every now and then.

Expect that they are pressed into their location.

PP knowledge only, when I could use some mechanic skill if I had it....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, FlyboyKC said:

I lost a grease fitting on my 68 M20g. I am trying to figure out what size/part number to order. Its from the landing gear and its a small grease fitting, smaller than 1/4" it seems. I tried a 6mm which seem to fit, but the treads seemed different because it didn't want to tighten. The IPC calls for a part number of MS15002-1 Spruce shows this as a 1/4-28 tapered. The IPC also shows a 3c18 51004-007 (which I can't seem to find.) and the diagram in the IPC is awful.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Neal

Neal,

Can you post a picture of where its supposed to go?  There are several different ones in use.

Clarence

Often they appear to be screw in...

Very often they are press in...

The parts manual probably shows exactly what they are...

The press in ones have a tendency to come out every now and then.  

What they got replaced with over the decades is probably hard to actually know.

PP thoughts only, Not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

The grease fitting in the aft gear trunnions bearing is normally a screw in type. As noted above the forward one is a press in style. All others are screw in style.

Clarence