M20C Panel Mod

When I purchased my 1968 Mooney M20C, it came with an aluminum six pack panel blank, one that I've seen installed in other panels. So I talked to local avionics guy and plan to have this installed in a few weeks. It seems pretty straight forward to me. I want to do the left side first and then down the road install a new JPI to reconfigure the right side and then further down the road upgrade the center stack. Any advice going into this? How should I paint it. I was thinking a 3M di noc carbon fiber wrap?

Before:
9d06a99aa9b85ae959f5157ea54e4d48.jpg

After:
32a9aaf73ae5a413486c0b56f6aeb0d7.jpg
62ab9859f16aba50b5b4fcd753856a80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The only change I would make is to put the switch on the bottom. My C has different keys for the baggage door, people door and ignition, plus the hangar key. Why have all of that hanging down in front of anything? By 1970 when my plane was built, that's where Mooney put it, too.

As for the ipad, do what you want. Just realize that Apple, Samsung, Motorola, etc., release new versions every 12-18 months, and the size changes slightly each time. Just sayin . . . . I have yet to get two consecutive phones that will fit in the same holster, much less tablets in the same cover.

Check in with @Chocks.  He has some talent in decorating panels...

See if this is something that would work for both you and him...

+1 on the changing size of consumer electronics advice.  The older they get, the less chance of being updated they are...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I have no idea. It was in existing panel when I purchased it. It will be removed likely when I redo the right side. Save some weight!

If the plane was ever based in Europe, I believe they have a requirement for a second altimeter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boy that 8-hole panel is a beauty. I would love to get something like that. Anyone know what it runs to get one cut like that?

I was quoted $1700 plus the actual panel cost $300-500. I'm definitely doing this in a month and it puts me on the path to Aspen. I'll need a full size turn coordinator though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I was quoted $1700 plus the actual panel cost $300-500. I'm definitely doing this in a month and it puts me on the path to Aspen. I'll need a full size turn coordinator though.

Redid the left side of my M20E 2 years ago, and bought pre-cut panel from LASAR for for $250 + $85 for hardware. Had the whole thing installed by my trusty AME (A&P or IA in the USA), total price, parts and labor (rearranging + paint) was $1600CA.

I did put the key switch between alternate static and master.

Pnl.15.jpg

• Like 1

Redid the left side of my M20E 2 years ago, and bought pre-cut panel from LASAR for for $250 + $85 for hardware. Had the whole thing installed by my trusty AME (A&P or IA in the USA), total price, parts and labor (rearranging + paint) was $1600CA.
 I did put the key switch between alternate static and master.
Pnl.15.jpg

Are your instruments backlit? Looks like the same panel I am installing.

Nice spot for the alt static too!

+1 for the alternator warning light too!

The modern ones are a bit hidden at the bottom, off the panel.  In a stressfull moment it can be hard to scan a panel and remember where else to look for important butt saving devices...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

15 hours ago, Hoeschen said:

Are your instruments backlit? Looks like the same panel I am installing.

No backlit on the instruments, I use a LED strip for night flying.

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

How come some of the panels have a wide vertical gap between the attitude indicator and altimeter?

I believe there is some structure behind the panel where the yoke shaft goes through.  The bottom instruments need to be offset a little either vertically or horizontally.  You will notice that the panels without the vertical gap have the bottom row of instruments placed a little higher.