Ultras Certified!

KSMooniac

4 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

I stumbled upon some of Piloto's postings about this in an old thread last night. I'm planning a 6.5hr cross-country and just realized that I'll probably need to pee more than once. So I ordered an 18-pack of Travel John bags that have the gel in them. I was shocked to read about these "relief tubes" as I thought those were Old Pilots Tales; my grandfather, a WW2 pilot, told me about them many years ago but I didn't believe him until now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never fear, you too can knock a hole in your floor and piss everywhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I stumbled upon some of Piloto's postings about this in an old thread last night. I'm planning a 6.5hr cross-country and just realized that I'll probably need to pee more than once. So I ordered an 18-pack of Travel John bags that have the gel in them. I was shocked to read about these "relief tubes" as I thought those were Old Pilots Tales; my grandfather, a WW2 pilot, told me about them many years ago but I didn't believe him until now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piloto's aircraft relief tube is real. I have seen it in person.

Yves

5 hours ago, Alain B said:

Salut Yves , pour le moment je vais le garder a CYHU mais je vais garder l enregistrement au USA , car il va appartenir a un trust americain . On verra pour la suite . Tu y vois un probleme ? 

Part 2 of french course .

Alain 

Je continue en privé.

Yves

39 minutes ago, Alain B said:

How many knots does it cost ?

I have not seen any speed decrease due to the pilot relief venturi. However I saw a speed increase of about 3 kts when I cleaned the wing leading edge with Rain X for plastic. I applied Rain X to overcome icing. My son in Pittsburgh use it on his cars for deicing the windshield.

https://www.rainx.com/

1 minute ago, Piloto said:

I have not seen any speed decrease due to the pilot relief venturi. However I saw a speed increase of about 3 kts when I cleaned the wing leading edge with Rain X for plastic. I applied Rain X to overcome icing. My son in Pittsburgh use it on his cars for deicing the windshield.

https://www.rainx.com/

And how exactly does that work? So supercooled water hits your leading edge, doesn't freeze due some magical Rain X properties and then does what?

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

That about sums it up. 

And that's why Mooney will be lucky to sell 10 of these machines. Because they are looking for hobbyist/pilots. Cirrus builds aircraft for people whom have a purpose for their $800K traveling machines whom also happen to be pilots. That's why you see a ton of 8 year Acclaims for sale with 400 hours on then while almost every 3 year Cirrus for sale has close to 1000 hours. They actually get flown for a purpose, on schedule and are purchased with pre-tax dollars. "Real" pilots choose Mooney or Bonanza, people looking for safe, reliable transportation choose Cirrus, leave the GFC700 on and don't notice "handling", whatever that is.

Edited by AndyFromCB
  • Like 1

Just now, AndyFromCB said:

And how exactly does that work? So supercooled water hits your leading edge, doesn't freeze due some magical Rain X properties and then does what?

I am not an expert on the subject. All what Rain X does it keeps water from sticking to the surface thus ice can not form. What surprised me about Rain X is how long it last and the speed increase. I have not been in moderate icing to make an assessment but from my son experience in PIT it works pretty well in freezing rain.

José

1 hour ago, goncaloareia said:

Here's the relief tube exit from a friend's 252 here in Europe (N228RM).

2015-07-23 11.49.02.jpg

Thanks for posting.  When do Mooney go to Cherry Max rivets on the wing root fairings?  The fairings on my 1967 F are held in place with sheet metal screws and tinnerman nuts. 

14 minutes ago, AndyFromCB said:

"Real" pilots choose Mooney or Bonanza, people looking for safe, reliable transportation choose Cirrus, leave the GFC700 on and don't notice "handling", whatever that is.

People looking for safe, reliable transportation choose charter/commercial flights...I'm not sure what you're smoking but I want some. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AndyFromCB said:

And that's why Mooney will be lucky to sell 10 of these machines. Because they are looking for hobbyist/pilots. Cirrus builds aircraft for people whom have a purpose for their $800K traveling machines whom also happen to be pilots. That's why you see a ton of 8 year Acclaims for sale with 400 hours on then while almost every 3 year Cirrus for sale has close to 1000 hours. They actually get flown for a purpose, on schedule and are purchased with pre-tax dollars. "Real" pilots choose Mooney or Bonanza, people looking for safe, reliable transportation choose Cirrus, leave the GFC700 on and don't notice "handling", whatever that is.

Is those the same Cirrus who fly 200 knots on 16 gph ? 

38 minutes ago, Alain B said:

Is those the same Cirrus who fly 200 knots on 16 gph ? 

Here you go, sorry only 198 on 15.6 at 17. Nate's old SR22 on the way to Lincoln, NE. Pretty positive climbing another 1000ft would have given it even 200.

https://picoolio.net/images/2017/03/29/CirrusSR22f003a.jpg

So how do you like them apples? Only about 10knots slower than a TKSed Acclaim on same fuel flow (LOP) without frozen, cramped feet. Of course, not unexpected considering 30ft less wing area. Also, not sure what you were referring to about SR22 being the worst aircraft to fly in the bumps. With 25lb/sq ft it rides considerably better than anything other than maybe the TTX. Plus I don't ever recall slamming my head against the ceiling in the SR22, while it happen on almost every summer flight in my old Bravo. More headroom and real restraint system go a long way. Never had an issues handling any wind in a SR22 I would not tackle in a Bravo. Actually, when I think about, the new G5 handles crosswind better than almost anything out there with its real draggy flaps. The wing just quits flying upon touchdown with a ton of rudder still left to spare. Not something I've ever been able to say about M20M rudder. There was never enough. And zero need to do heroic, much faster no flap landings like some here recommend. 

Sorry, Mooney will be lucky to sell 10 of these things before going Tango Uniform again.

Edited by AndyFromCB

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Thanks for posting.  When do Mooney go to Cherry Max rivets on the wing root fairings?  The fairings on my 1967 F are held in place with sheet metal screws and tinnerman nuts. 

Those are just regular old pop rivets.  Might have gotten switched out before paint.  Not sure how the new ones come out of the factory?

40 minutes ago, AndyFromCB said:

Here you go, sorry only 198 on 15.6 at 17. Nate's old SR22 on the way to Lincoln, NE. Pretty positive climbing another 1000ft would have given it even 200.

https://picoolio.net/images/2017/03/29/CirrusSR22f003a.jpg

So how do you like them apples? Only about 10knots slower than a TKSed Acclaim on same fuel flow (LOP) without frozen, cramped feet. Of course, not unexpected considering 30ft less wing area. Also, not sure what you were referring to about SR22 being the worst aircraft to fly in the bumps. With 25lb/sq ft it rides considerably better than anything other than maybe the TTX. Plus I don't ever recall slamming my head against the ceiling in the SR22, while it happen on almost every summer flight in my old Bravo. More headroom and real restraint system go a long way. Never had an issues handling any wind in a SR22 I would not tackle in a Bravo. Actually, when I think about, the new G5 handles crosswind better than almost anything out there with its real draggy flaps. The wing just quits flying upon touchdown with a ton of rudder still left to spare. Not something I've ever been able to say about M20M rudder. There was never enough. And zero need to do heroic, much faster no flap landings like some here recommend. 

Sorry, Mooney will be lucky to sell 10 of these things before going Tango Uniform again.

That's your opinion , i will still get an Acclaim . By the way you are at 17000 and ISA probably +20 .