Oshkosh 2017

When I flew in to what became Tornado n Fun, I had el cheapo dog tie down stakes from Harbor Freight, all of $4 or so each. I looked at the similar but much beefier ones for sale in the Registration booth, bought a set ($35?) and installed them. My left main tire rolled forward about 4", the right one didn't budge. The highwing plane on my right side ended up several feet forward, upside down and windshield-to-windshield with the Bonanza to his right, with the Bo's propeller sticking through his wing. Other planes in front and behind me were blown around and sitting sideways, backwards, in / on each other, tents flattened, coolers gone. It was a mess!

I'm a big believer in the EAA "screw in the ground" tie downs! I also saw many planes with either The Claw or something similar dangling from their wings as they were all over the fields--parking, camping, taxiways, displays . . . Some of the Claws held, some did not, and I cannot say if it was soil difference, installation error or simply proximity to the tornadoes themselves.

I think I remember seeing a report in Aviation Consumer a few years back about the various tie downs, where they measured the pulling force required to "fail" them. For anyone serious about this issue, it may well be worth the effort to dig it out.

If I can, I want to drop into KOSH later in the week.  Oshkosh is usually closed to incoming birds pretty early in the week.  I'm wondering if anyone has flown into Fond Du Lac or Appleton and what the traffic and tie down situation is like there.

Thanks,

James

If I can, I want to drop into KOSH later in the week.  Oshkosh is usually closed to incoming birds pretty early in the week.  I'm wondering if anyone has flown into Fond Du Lac or Appleton and what the traffic and tie down situation is like there.
Thanks,
James

We went into Appleton last year and ended up on the grass and needed to provide our own tie downs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 11:44 PM, cctsurf said:

Could you get in and out decently when you wanted to?  i.e. were there long lines to fly out or a big stack up to land?

Last two years flew the Ovation into Appleton, ample parking on grass, minimal taxi delay in/out.  Takes longer to get to/from FBO.  And yes, bring tie down kit with you. 

2 hours ago, alex said:

Is willmar still in business?

No, Brian lost his lease to the city of Willmar and AFAIK, defaulted in payments for Willmar Air Service to Bruce Jaeger. That said, Paul Beck and Eric Rudingen now have the Mooney Service center in Willmar, Mn. called Oasis. Great guys, great service. They started a new operation.

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

No, Brian lost his lease to the city of Willmar and AFAIK, defaulted in payments for Willmar Air Service to Bruce Jaeger. That said, Paul Beck and Eric Rudingen now have the Mooney Service center in Willmar, Mn. called Oasis. Great guys, great service. They started a new operation.

Oasis is what they go by. Did a ppi for us at a reasonable cost.

6 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Plane and Pilot blog had a nice photo of MooneyGirl on final into Oshkosh.  They had it listed in the "best of" Day 1.  Way to go :)

It was a great experience and a great photo from Jim Koepnick [Former Chief Photographer for EAA]

• Thanks 1

IMG_7341.thumb.jpg.f0b54ac893c2ce3253042e2d90ec4397.jpg

A different kind of Blue Angels will be taking off from OSH Runway 9 for a formation photo shoot tonight at 7:00 p.m. The two-Mooney flight features Pia Bergqvist and Jolie Lucas. Pia and Jolie’s airplanes were painted by ArtCraft Paint in Santa Maria, CA.IMG_7364.thumb.JPG.99de891b0dc1028b23d167ac166be2bf.JPGIMG_7371.thumb.JPG.329e90ac76ad03d28a4548a70fca218b.JPGIMG_7376.thumb.JPG.8a46009131074f616cbeb516f6feb99e.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mooneygirl said:

IMG_7341.thumb.jpg.f0b54ac893c2ce3253042e2d90ec4397.jpgA different kind of Blue Angles will be taking off from OSH Runway 9 for a formation photo shoot tonight at 7:00 p.m. The two-Mooney flight features Pia Bergqvist and Jolie Lucas. Pia and Jolie’s airplanes were painted by ArtCraft Paint in Santa Maria, CA.IMG_7364.thumb.JPG.99de891b0dc1028b23d167ac166be2bf.JPGIMG_7371.thumb.JPG.329e90ac76ad03d28a4548a70fca218b.JPGIMG_7376.thumb.JPG.8a46009131074f616cbeb516f6feb99e.JPG

Great photos! Looks like a fun day!

I never had any experience with an E but I can't help to notice how close your prop cover is to the cowl. Is that normal for an E for it to sit so low or is it just the camera angle?

I flew into Oshkosh for the first time myself (last time in 1998 I flew right seat). I decided to arrive in style and luckily the guys and girls from the Mooney Caravan allowed me (after a very thorough check out) to join them. It was not an easy task to change my habits to stay away from other planes... I had not to get closer and closer, without hitting the lead ship (Big NO NO...). I had a really hard time. But at the end, I was able to do it and I had great fun. 

Actually fun. In reality fun began after we landed and set up our temporary home. First debrief...then later in the evening a Mooneyspace Pizza night. Great opportunity to put a face to our virtual friends. 

Next day after Mooney sponsored breakfast, let's check out the place, in particular the Mooney stand, where they are showing a brand new Ovation Ultra... (lottery... you never know...). Very nice plane, and the Mooney folks were very welcoming. 

Of course I also went to check out the other guys (Cessnas, Cirrus, Piper, Diamond, you name it). It was great to see that things are moving.

Caravan barbecue was also great (It seems that I may be in charge next year, so I will have to try to at least get to the same level... Unfortunately, there is no Argentine meat around to make a real barbecue... so we will settle to get most likely shaved pork (btw delicious...)). 

More plane talk, more planes, B52, B-1, C47, B17, B25s, P51... you name it they were all there...

Time passes way too fast... suddenly it was Wednesday night and time to go...

Thank you to all the Mooney Caravan leaders, Sox, Sled, Slim, Goat, Joker, Meatloaf, Maria... thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I had the time of my life. See you in 2018.

Oscar (Breaker)

• Like 3

Well that was a blast.  Sunset flight over some beautiful countryside.  Here is a sampling of the photos. Haven't seen the video yet.  So fun to fly with Pia.  Life is good. Both planes were painted by ArtCraft Paint in Santa Maria, CAIMG_6897-Edit.thumb.jpg.b6f987824357cfe9aa5d2f116abafa56.jpg

IMG_6821-Edit.jpg

IMG_6953-Edit.jpg

IMG_6971-Edit.jpg

IMG_7051-Edit.jpg

IMG_7130-Edit.jpg

IMG_7224-Edit.jpg

IMG_7324-Edit.jpg

• Like 8

Here's our tie downs. I have a great friend who is a metal guy who helped me with this.. Heavy gauge aluminum and the recommended rope. We didn't like the hammer and so during a rainy winter we spent way too much time making a matching set. We even custom embroidered a bag.

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

• Like 3

Tommy,

You are seeing a cowl closure on Pia's plane...

An after-market device for improved air flow in and around the cowl.  Great for the short bodies.  Improves CHTs and speed.

@mooneygirl/Jolie,

Where would we go to get a fancy personalized paint design like the ones that you and Pia had @ArtCraft ArtCraft paint?

Best regards,

-a-