Oshkosh 2017

I have never been to OSH. If camping is open Saturday, I will get there then. I plan to head home early Wednesday morning. With my luck, I will get stuck with a bunch of experimental guys who feel the need to tell me how much money they saved on parts, avionics, etc. this year. The upside is, with the AMUs they saved, there should be plenty of beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

It may not be perfect, BUT, if you want the camp spot in front of my Mooney which will be parked with the Caravan, it is available.  I stay at a house across the street.  Just let me know and we can coordinate.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, Brandontwalker said:

I have my tie downs made and am ready for Oshkosh 2017. It would be great to camp with the Mooney crew, but I cannot find time in my schedule for the required formation clinic. It will be fun nonetheless.

Anyone else going?42688a1a6e1af86f3eedac455392808f.jpg

How about details (materials, dimensions, etc., for the CBs trying to copy your design.) And how you pull the stakes up afterwards.

How about details (materials, dimensions, etc., for the CBs trying to copy your design.) And how you pull the stakes up afterwards.

All materials were purchased on amazon. The base started as a 3/8" thick aluminum bar. I was able to cut 4 tie down bases from one bar. A metal cutting band saw makes short work of it. The loops are just u bolts. I over drilled the bottom of the tie downs to allow the nuts to recess a bit and ground off as much as possible. The stakes are 12" aluminum tent stakes. The completed bases were powder coated for aesthetics and durability. Ropes are a high strength paracord and have a carabiner with self arrest for rope tightening on the airplane end.

I was fortunate that the aluminum bar had enough material for 4 bases. If you are a perfectionist and drill precise holes for the stakes, they all meet in the center and will not drive in to the ground. They have to be slightly offset.

The kit was designed to save weight. Bag, tie downs, ropes/carabiners, stakes and aluminum hammer weigh in at 2.3 lbs.

I believe I recall reading that those are not allowed. Maybe not recommended. Or maybe I'm just making crap up. I can't remember.

I believe they are allowed just thought of as not being very effective. They have posted articles in the past on what to use. The 3 leg version you showed is very similar to the design they said works well. They are recommending 18" spikes. That is a lot of hammering and a lot of pulling to remove. Want one of these systems called "The Claw"?

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/06-02-2016-proper-tiedowns-ensure-your-aircraft-doesnt-wander-off-at-oshkosh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The Aviation Consumer came by the Diamond booth after the tornado to marvel at our tiedowns and their performance.  We used (and continue to use) 3/4" steel rod with a "T" welded to the top of the 24" shaft.  They are heavy and a pain to put in, but they won't budge.

There's an article in AvCon from right after that fiasco describing the various solutions:  Click here if you're a subscriber.

"Claw" type tiedown performance is variable in their tests, and it deteriorates with very wet or very dry ground.  We use the 24" rod because it penetrates well below the wet (or dry) level.

At home, I use swingset anchors, available at any Farm&Fleet shop.  The one near me carries lengths up to 18", and they are made of thick steel rod with an auger blade at the bottom.  The only thing that will bend straight under load is the top, which is formed into a loop but not welded. They look something like this:

ground-anchor%20-%20large.jpg

Well I knew the weather was going to be a factor getting to Osh so I decided to try to beat it by flying in today. Normally I would head north east from PA, but I had to drop my wife off in Columbus oh. So I came up from the south. Got just north of Chicago when a couple of heavy cells started giving me a little gut show. OSH was still clear but the only path behind the storm was between the two cells. I chose to land in Burlington wi. 

Then the fun began, the town was under water last week so femas gear cleaning up and there is a country music festival going on all week  guess what! No rooms  lol. In all mt travels this is my first night in a FBO lounge  

Brian

IMG_1027.PNG

• Like 1

Well I knew the weather was going to be a factor getting to Osh so I decided to try to beat it by flying in today. Normally I would head north east from PA, but I had to drop my wife off in Columbus oh. So I came up from the south. Got just north of Chicago when a couple of heavy cells started giving me a little gut show. OSH was still clear but the only path behind the storm was between the two cells. I chose to land in Burlington wi. 
Then the fun began, the town was under water last week so femas gear cleaning up and there is a country music festival going on all week  guess what! No rooms  lol. In all mt travels this is my first night in a FBO lounge  

Brian
IMG_1027.thumb.PNG.4c8e4ce5dd0ca40511170574ca465680.PNG

You should ask Jack about the night he ended sleeping in his plane because the FBO was closed. Wish I had a picture of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Temporary tie downs and hurricane proof, probably don't fit on the same page...

The three nail type tie downs at least are semi-functional... you can install them, they don't look fake, you don't get hassled if you use them...

The most effective devices can be impossible to install in hard ground.

In soft ground, everything pulls out long before the rope breaks.

Be sure to have good insurance coverage. If the tornado decides it wants your plane, it is going to throw it at a more expensive plane... check your insurance coverage...

The EAA has some plans for the Do-it yourselfers...  My EAA buddy built some three nail tie-downs for the O.

Getting them back out of the ground was a hassle.  Two engineers discussing torque and leverage interspersed with some four letter words...

The best part lately, is the weather data that is available on every cell phone...

Have a great time,

-a-