Oshkosh 2017

On 3/27/2017 at 2:19 PM, Brandontwalker said:

I have my tie downs made and am ready for Oshkosh 2017. It would be great to camp with the Mooney crew, but I cannot find time in my schedule for the required formation clinic. It will be fun nonetheless.

Anyone else going?42688a1a6e1af86f3eedac455392808f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok Brandon, how did you get your cool N number on your tiedowns? Looks like youve got something protecting your spikes from disappearing as well. Did you make or buy a stencil? have a paint store do it or? And for you regulars, do tie downs tend to grow legs at Oshkosh if you don't secure/ mark them?

Edited by JohnB

8 hours ago, JohnB said:

Ok Brandon, how did you get your cool N number on your tiedowns? Looks like youve got something protecting your spikes from disappearing as well. Did you make or buy a stencil? have a paint store do it or? And for you regulars, do tie downs tend to grow legs at Oshkosh if you don't secure/ mark them?

I powder coated these.  The N number was applied by cutting a stencil with a plotter and applying prior to powder coating.  The spikes are 9" tent stakes I bought off Amazon.  My goal was saving weight with this kit.  All up, the kit is just over 3.5 pounds (including the aluminum hammer).  Everything is aluminum except for the U-Bolt.  The base is from a 3/8" aluminum bar with the stake holes drilled at 30 degrees to guide the stakes in the crossing pattern.

Edited by Brandontwalker
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Nothing walks off at OSH...you'll see unattended cell phones charging, supplies in tents, etc. They draw the best people to the show!

And thousands of unlocked airplanes left unattended as well! But they still have their numbers on them just in case!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, peevee said:

Can't get the time off and honestly have no interest

This year will be our 19th year in a row.  We've been renting the same house all those years.  I feel like I have a timeshare on that house.  When I asked my flight instructor about 5 years before that how he could go year after year, I didn't get a good explanation.  After attending the 1st year it was clear why he went.  The people who go are amazing (I, too, usually don't like large crowds, but this is different), the organization of the event is better than any event I have ever attended in my lifetime,  the grounds are kept immaculately clean, the seminars are presented by some of the best in the business, anybody who is anybody in the aviation world exhibits there, rebates on products are the best of the year (I saved nearly 10% of the cost of my panel upgrade as a result of Osklosh attendance) there are more airplanes of different types than you will see anywhere else, the daily airshows are the best in the country, the City is like those of my childhood years, AMERICA all the way), and so much more.  If you love aviation, go once, and you will be forever seduced by it....

• Like 12

19 hours ago, peevee said:

Nope. Too hot, too many people for me.

Hot, that depends on the year. I had to go to Walmart one year and buy a sweatshirt as it dropped into the 40's a few nights at the end of July. 

Too many people, not really when you consider they're spread out over hundreds of acres and over a mile long runway. 

David

So many great memories.  First with my dad, now passed and now with my son.  Always wanted to see a Luftwaffe fighter and finally an FW190 (Flugwerks) was at Oshkosh and R.A. Bob Hoover was sitting in front of the tire in a lawn chair with his straw hat talking about the time he stole one and escaped...My son was like "Who is this guy"?  I regaled him with many stories of the now departed legend that IS Bob Hoover.  My dad has a display of Gabreski's awards in front of a scale custom model of his P-47 in the Eagle's Hanger.

GO if you have never been.  So much for anyone that love's aviation.  You will NOT be disappointed.  You can fly into nearby Appleton if you are shy about the thundering heard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hot, that depends on the year. I had to go to Walmart one year and buy a sweatshirt as it dropped into the 40's a few nights at the end of July. 

Too many people, not really when you consider they're spread out over hundreds of acres and over a mile long runway. 

David

Nancy and I bought Mooney jackets last year because it was cold!

• Like 2

All great to hear, as I look forward to my first Oshkosh experience this year! Got my place to rent, got tickets and good to go. I don't know about you guys, but just planning the routes, then changing them once I hear of some other place I want to visit which I'm doing now,  and airports to stop in, and cool places to tour on the way there and back is great fun, and I look forward to seeing the Nation in Mooney Style! And as a bonus.. I get to go to the famous Oshkosh!

• Like 2

All great to hear, as I look forward to my first Oshkosh experience this year! Got my place to rent, got tickets and good to go. I don't know about you guys, but just planning the routes, then changing them once I hear of some other place I want to visit which I'm doing now,  and airports to stop in, and cool places to tour on the way there and back is great fun, and I look forward to seeing the Nation in Mooney Style! And as a bonus.. I get to go to the famous Oshkosh!

You will have a great time. As the date of departure gets near pay attention to the forecast for Oshkosh. You may need to prepare for both hot and cold. Last year I needed a blanket for a couple of days and a small battery fan for another couple of days. As you taxi on the grass pull that yoke back as far as it will go to lighten the nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, donkaye said:

This year will be our 19th year in a row.  We've been renting the same house all those years.  I feel like I have a timeshare on that house.  When I asked my flight instructor about 5 years before that how he could go year after year, I didn't get a good explanation.  After attending the 1st year it was clear why he went.  The people who go are amazing (I, too, usually don't like large crowds, but this is different), the organization of the event is better than any event I have ever attended in my lifetime,  the grounds are kept immaculately clean, the seminars are presented by some of the best in the business, anybody who is anybody in the aviation world exhibits there, rebates on products are the best of the year (I saved nearly 10% of the cost of my panel upgrade as a result of Osklosh attendance) there are more airplanes of different types than you will see anywhere else, the daily airshows are the best in the country, the City is like those of my childhood years, AMERICA all the way), and so much more.  If you love aviation, go once, and you will be forever seduced by it....

That is a great summary Don, thanks! I think I might already be hooked, and I haven't even been to one yet! Hope to see you there! You doing the formation in this year?

23 minutes ago, Hector said:

You will have a great time. As the date of departure gets near pay attention to the forecast for Oshkosh. You may need to prepare for both hot and cold. Last year I needed a blanket for a couple of days and a small battery fan for another couple of days. As you taxi on the grass pull that yoke back as far as it will go to lighten the nose.

Good tips Thanks!

Edited by JohnB