catalina airport

I was there as part of my first coast to coast flight in 2010.  Yes, I'm sure it can be much worse.  

It didn't seem remarkably terrible then, except for the hump in the middle and uphill landing, which I knew to expect.  That means it's either gotten worse or I just didn't think it was that bad . . . 7 years ago.

-Seth

10 hours ago, MHemperly said:

I was there a couple months ago, still rough. Make sure to dodge the pot holes. 

You would think with all that money over there they could repave it. Idk

I'm sure the people with money would rather that airport not exist at all.

• Like 1

That Island is part of Los Angeles County and then the EPA requirements are horrible.  The stories that I herd about the environmental impact reports, to get an asphalt plant over there were horrible.   They ended up moving a plant there just to repave the runway and then had to remove the plant back to the main land.   Hope they can do it again.

Ron

1 hour ago, peevee said:

I'm sure the people with money would rather that airport not exist at all.

Yea and those same people don't even realize the vital roll it plays in the goods that are shipped over there every day on planes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 5:52 PM, Jim Peace said:

That is everyones experience for the last 20+ years.......Could it possibly get any worse?

Answering my own question....was just there Sunday in a Cirrus SR20....

Yes it can get a lot worse.....the runway is in the worst shape I have ever seen it.....Do not go there if you like your propeller ...

Also it is now 36 dollars per person for the ride down to Avalon...still 25 for the landing fee......

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

Yes it can get a lot worse.....the runway is in the worst shape I have ever seen it.....Do not go there if you like your propeller ...

Also it is now 36 dollars per person for the ride down to Avalon...still 25 for the landing fee......

That's too bad, it had been a goal of mine to visit for awhile now. Guess it'll be awhile longer.

6 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

I bet the recent rains have torn it up pretty good. Unfortunate!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 7:31 PM, eman1200 said:

flew there on wednesday.  yeah, it was pretty rough, but the flight and experience was a blast. 

22.jpg

Yikes no kidding..lg pot hole with macadam debris scattered arround hole.Apparrent no attempt to sweep hole and at least due patch...not good

• 1 year later...

They are shutting it down on 12/9/18 and expect to reopen in April 2019.  I hope they do more than just patching with the $5M in four months :)

"But soon the 3,250-foot runway will get the facelift it so badly needs. A $5 million project is underway to repair the runway, according to a press release from the Catalina Conservancy."

15 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

They are shutting in down on 12/9/18 and expect to reopen in April 2019.  I hope they do more than just patching with the $5M in four months :)

"But soon the 3,250-foot runway will get the facelift it so badly needs. A $5 million project is underway to repair the runway, according to a press release from the Catalina Conservancy."

The article says they're completely removing the asphalt and replacing it with concrete

I got in trouble there once...I unloaded some Honda mini bikes out of the Baron and motered into town.I didn't have the required conservancy permits and the local police wanted to fine me.Asked how I had gotten them on the Island?I flew them in says I...just here for the day...Ok but don't bring them back!

• Like 1