New biscuits, very bouncy nose

XXX

Just now, Hyett6420 said:

No i have Tyres.  Not sure what those tire things are you guys have.  Are they worn out from the moment you put them on that's why they are tire"d". Boom boom

Andrew

And I just have to ask "Y"?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 2:49 PM, Lance Keve said:

And I believe 6-ply mains would be 42psi, up from 30.  Mine are 6-ply all around and I run 42 mains, 49, nose.

In My F it was the same as the J, 30 mains, 49 in the nose, and even in the Missile, with more weight on the nose, it's still 49.

-Seth

On 3/27/2017 at 9:42 AM, Chupacabra said:

Bob, I just read in an older post that when Mooney started using a 6 ply tire on the nose, they upped the PSI to 49 from 30. Do you know if you have a 6 ply or a 4 ply n the nose? Mine is a 6.

On 3/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, Bob_Belville said:

4 ply. But I suppose the heavier tire was to handle heavier loads. Our mains are 6 ply and inflated to 30 psi.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:49 PM, Lance Keve said:

And I believe 6-ply mains would be 42psi, up from 30.  Mine are 6-ply all around and I run 42 mains, 49, nose.

On 3/27/2017 at 3:43 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Lance, do you have documentation for that? My manual calls for 30 psi all around. '66E. (I can bounce pretty high with soft tires...)

23 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Hi Bob - I'll have to do some digging.  As I recall, I'd seen it on MS from earlier discussions (few years back).  I checked with Air-Mods (MSC) and they said that was correct.  The reason I began thinking about it was my tires looked quite flat at 30.  Turned out they were 6-ply and required the newer, higher, psi pressure.  It doesn't bother me if it is a few lbs. less but down at 30 and they are really soft and noticeably don't roll as well.

23 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Rang the MSC but A/P was offsite and in the middle of something.  Will check in with me tomorrow.  If I'm high on the mains, I'll concede.  Don't want any misleading info out there.  

Hi Folks - Just to clear it out, apologies for misleading info, there is no documentation saying the mains should be other than 30 on the short bodies, however, the MSC got back to me and confirmed they run there's at 40 on the mains and 49 on the nose.  When I inquired as to why then, if the POH says 30 mains, 30 nose for short bodies, and 30 mains, 49 nose for F, J...etc., the highly technical answer was:  "30 is to squishy".  Above I mentioned they had told me 42 for mains, which they might have, just spitting it out one day.  I'm not OCD about it and generally if they are in the mid-upper 30's I'm not adding and feel that is a good compromise for helping the roll without being too firm to jostle fillings. 

8 minutes ago, Lance Keve said:

Hi Folks - Just to clear it out, apologies for misleading info, there is no documentation saying the mains should be other than 30 on the short bodies, however, the MSC got back to me and confirmed they run there's at 40 on the mains and 49 on the nose.  When I inquired as to why then, if the POH says 30 mains, 30 nose for short bodies, and 30 mains, 49 nose for F, J...etc., the highly technical answer was:  "30 is to squishy".  Above I mentioned they had told me 42 for mains, which they might have, just spitting it out one day.  I'm not OCD about it and generally if they are in the mid-upper 30's I'm not adding and feel that is a good compromise for helping the roll without being too firm to jostle fillings. 

Lance, clearly the tires on the mains will be happy @ pressure higher than the 30 spec'd for C,D,E,F... but 1) 30 psi should absorb some of the shock of a hard landing, and 2) we touch down on the mains, at least I hope we all do that, and higher tire pressure will result in higher bounces when they occur, not that any MSer ever bounces. (In my infamous SNF arrival I only bounced twice @ 13:17 & 13:22.)

FWIW, my Condor 6.00-6 x 6 ply mains do not look "squishy", at least not to my eye.

37 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Lance, clearly the tires on the mains will be happy @ pressure higher than the 30 spec'd for C,D,E,F... but 1) 30 psi should absorb some of the shock of a hard landing, and 2) we touch down on the mains, at least I hope we all do that, and higher tire pressure will result in higher bounces when they occur, not that any MSer ever bounces. (In my infamous SNF arrival I only bounced twice @ 13:17 & 13:22.)

FWIW, my Condor 6.00-6 x 6 ply mains do not look "squishy", at least not to my eye.

Thanks Bob.  I was going to say "who's bouncing on their landings? ;) "  I'll probably give it a try dialing it back to the lower pressure and enjoy the extra cushion.

Hey, at least you got "Mooney, excellent job" from the controller. :)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

which numbers molded into the biscuits indicate the year they were made?  I just see a bunch of seemingly random numbers.. 

Mine said "06-69" when removed in Dec 2012. They were upside down, i had misread them as "09-96". Much better ride with new ones!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 10:15 AM, Hyett6420 said:

No it shouldn't sound clunky at all. There are no "loose" joints in there so it should not clunk at all

Andrew

Actually the nose gear can clunk when it bounces. The overcenter link is preloaded against the overcenter stop. This makes the link a few degrees beyond straight. If the nose gear bounces off the ground the inertia of it recoiling will put tension on the link and pull it straight. When it comes back down the link will go back overcenter and slam against the stop. That's the clunk. 

This is not a problem, that's just the way it works. 

• Like 1