Just take my wallet!!

par

I like the LS6 series of engines, it's the gearbox that has always been the weight / strength challenge.

Running full out is not the design spec for the LS engine either. 5000rpm for a 1/4 mile yes, continuous jet like performance...?

Tell me what you think...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Prices start at $89,950 (FOB manufacturer) and can be purchased as a complete kit, or as sub-kit deliveries. Retractable landing gear, engine gear box, fan assemblies and engine mount are included in the cost of the kit. Build time is advertised at 2000-2500 hours, and a total flying cost is projected to be as low as $125,000 USD.

Think corvette engine at full throttle... 5000rpm geared up to 6000rpm at the fans.

Somewhere around 400hp 500ft-Lbs of torque (based on old memory)

The engine builder said the gear box is 1.4:1 ratio.  Doing the math, 6/5, Siri got 1.2:1

The radiators must be gigantic.

They brought it from Russia to show at SnF.  But, it isn't near complete yet...  the retract landing gear is still fixed down.  'They ran out of time'

200 mph top speed

59 mph stall, flaps down

45 hours of flying done in Russia.

No idea what happened to the cruise speed, it got garbled by the video.

available by the end of the year.

they're going to need to polish a few things... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

41 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Think corvette engine at full throttle... 5000rpm geared up to 6000rpm at the fans.

Somewhere around 400hp 500ft-Lbs of torque (based on old memory)

The engine builder said the gear box is 1.4:1 ratio.  Doing the math, 6/5, Siri got 1.2:1

The radiators must be gigantic.

They brought it from Russia to show at SnF.  But, it isn't near complete yet...  the retract landing gear is still fixed down.  'They ran out of time'

200 mph top speed

59 mph stall, flaps down

45 hours of flying done in Russia.

No idea what happened to the cruise speed, it got garbled by the video.

available by the end of the year.

they're going to need to polish a few things... :)

Best regards,

-a-

So if I understand you correctly, I have to wait a little longer to give up all my money?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I can get you the LS6 at or below cost, benefits of working as Parts Director (soon to be Controller) for three GM Dealerships... I'd be happy to do that in exchange for a ride in it after you've built and tested it. :D

Don't tempt me with a good time! I've always to build a fast experimental using an LS motor. Of course, it would be one hell of a project to undertake and the results could be less than ideal. I don't know if I would ever build something like this using a piston engine but I may take you up on that offer for a Lancair someday.

Richard,

See if you can liberate an LS7 at cost for your friends.  Complete with all the sensors and controllers....:)

505 hp and gobs of torque, for the bird (almost aviation related) firebird that is...

A 15AMU device...

Par,

The 2:1 gearbox for an ordinary prop turning 2700 rpm has been the deathknell of using the Corvette engine for aviation applications.

from my industrial experience that gear box is quite heavy.  To do it in aviation weights, it needs to be extremely strong.  Aluminum hasn't been the right stuff...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, par said:

Don't tempt me with a good time! I've always to build a fast experimental using an LS motor. Of course, it would be one hell of a project to undertake and the results could be less than ideal. I don't know if I would ever build something like this using a piston engine but I may take you up on that offer for a Lancair someday.

You building a Lancair or planning to build one?   Which model?   I would stick with an aviation engine when you get to that point.  Way too many have gone down the automotive engine path with pretty poor results, the best being a financial disaster and the worst being fatal.  

I had that same desire, being a muscle car owner and drag racer, but was convinced over time that's a match that just doesn't work.

Tom 

• Like 1

That plan seems kinda slow given how pointy-fast it looks.

it looks like a fighter jet but powered like a bonanza.

although it is aerobatic capable.

it reminds me of one of those kit car conversions where you can make a Volkswagen bug look like say a Ferrari / so it looks great but won't perform like a Ferrari - but maybe looks good is good enough- as riccardo montelban character on snl years ago said, "it's not how you feel - it's how you look... and look marvelous!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

You building a Lancair or planning to build one?   Which model?   I would stick with an aviation engine when you get to that point.  Way too many have gone down the automotive engine path with pretty poor results, the best being a financial disaster and the worst being fatal.  

I had that same desire, being a muscle car owner and drag racer, but was convinced over time that's a match that just doesn't work.

Tom 

At this point, it's just a dream. I haven't through about exactly which model I will go with but I know it will be a lancair. I also agree with you re the engine choice. I have read a lot of negative stuff about car to plane transitions and I def don't want to pick from the two choices you listed. I'm hopeful that we will have a good turbine solution by that point as that would make for the ultimate fast plane.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Richard,

See if you can liberate an LS7 at cost for your friends.  Complete with all the sensors and controllers....:)

505 hp and gobs of torque, for the bird (almost aviation related) firebird that is...

A 15AMU device...

Par,

The 2:1 gearbox for an ordinary prop turning 2700 rpm has been the deathknell of using the Corvette engine for aviation applications.

from my industrial experience that gear box is quite heavy.  To do it in aviation weights, it needs to be extremely strong.  Aluminum hasn't been the right stuff...

Best regards,

-a-

What do you think about titanium gears? Is there a reason why this doesn't already exist?

Cmon guys....$125,000 for a kit??

You can buy a real plane, MIG 21 on Warbird News for $150,000 negotiable down to that price.

Has Mach 2 speed complete with parachutes.

Did I forget something??

Oh yeah, operational cost of (conservative) $4,500 per hour. These figures go out the window when afterburner is deployed.

Hard to remember everything.

Gears are important, but the box itself has to withstand all the forces.  The box is large. Especially compared to an aviation gearbox.  We have a constant speed prop for adjusting rpm.

Titanium has some quirks. Expensive. Hard to machine, and not as rigid as steal or aluminum.(?) have to look up some of these details...

Some of the Migs weren't so high tech.  Lots of steal used in place of titanium. So I have read...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

15 hours ago, Hank said:

He gave  ax speed of 200 mph, stall speed like a 182, but skipped right over cruise speed.  No me tonight of fuel burn, either. Hmmm . . . . .

The data sheet in the video shows 187mph cruise. Then again a 201 is supposed to go 201mph... :wacko:

Just found their spec sheet on their website: http://dreameravia.com/sky-world

SPECIFICATION

Fuselage Length 8,435 m(27’8”)
Maximum Height 3,015 m(9’9”)
Wing Span 8,025 m(26’4”)
Wing Area 10 sq. m(106,17 sq. ft.)
Wing Loading 130 kg/sq. m(27 lb/sq.ft.)
Wing Airfoil LS(1) - 0413
Structural limit loads +4,4/-2,2 Gs
Maximum gross weight 1380 kg(3,036 lbs)
Empty weight 986 kg(2,169 lbs)
Fuel Capacity 280 liters(74 gals)
Fuel Consumption 57 lph(15 gph)

POWER PLANT

Engine GM LS6 V8 388 hp@5000rpm

PERFORMANCE

Top Speed at S/L 350 km/h(218 mph)
Cruise Speed 300 km/h(187 mph)
Stall Speed (no flaps) 120 km/h(75 mph)
Stall Speed(full flaps) 90 km/h(56 mph)
Rate of Climb at S/L 14 m/s(2500 fpm)
Range 1200 km(750 mi)

Just now, Alain B said:

I will stick to a Continental , or a Lycoming , or Jacobs , or P&W .......... . Leave the car engine where they belong : on the ground . 

I don't know about the short vs long term issues with these engines, but for the price of it, you could put in a factory new LS engine every 500 hours for less than the cost of the upkeep/overhaul of a proper aviation engine. Just a thought.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 201er said:

I don't know about the short vs long term issues with these engines, but for the price of it, you could put in a factory new LS engine every 500 hours for less than the cost of the upkeep/overhaul of a proper aviation engine. Just a thought.

A car engine running at high rpm constantly will not make 500 hours without a breakage of some sort . Look at a Nascar engine , they are extensively modified , in many cases cost more then an aircraft engine ( due to the expensive parts and modifications inside ) , have special oiling system , are maintained by top mechanics , and in some case cannot even go 500 miles without blowing up , much less 500 hours . 

23 minutes ago, 201er said:

Just found their spec sheet on their website: http://dreameravia.com/sky-world

SPECIFICATION

Fuselage Length 8,435 m(27’8”)
Maximum Height 3,015 m(9’9”)
Wing Span 8,025 m(26’4”)
Wing Area 10 sq. m(106,17 sq. ft.)
Wing Loading 130 kg/sq. m(27 lb/sq.ft.)
Wing Airfoil LS(1) - 0413
Structural limit loads +4,4/-2,2 Gs
Maximum gross weight 1380 kg(3,036 lbs)
Empty weight 986 kg(2,169 lbs)
Fuel Capacity 280 liters(74 gals)
Fuel Consumption 57 lph(15 gph)

POWER PLANT

Engine GM LS6 V8 388 hp@5000rpm

PERFORMANCE

Top Speed at S/L 350 km/h(218 mph)
Cruise Speed 300 km/h(187 mph)
Stall Speed (no flaps) 120 km/h(75 mph)
Stall Speed(full flaps) 90 km/h(56 mph)
Rate of Climb at S/L 14 m/s(2500 fpm)
Range 1200 km(750 mi)

Ironically, I bet that car engine will make that corvette car go about as fast as that airplane.