Ipad charging

Just learned something interesting today.  If you plug your Ipad into a charger, the cord must first be plugged into the charger first then into the Ipad or it will not charge. Whether in the house car or in the plane.  I had the problem the other day where my Ipad would not charge in the plane and I thought that it was a bad plug, I switched out to another plug and it worked, but I had also unplugged from the Ipad.  Long story short, another pilot comes into the office today while we are having a Bravo Sierra session, and said that he had this same problem and was about to get a new Ipad when his IT guy said that there is a switch in the Ipad that will only allow the charger to be plugged in one way.

For what its worth.

Pritch

• Like 1

Well crap, Pritch. It looks like I have a defective iPad Mini 2. I just tried the following: a.) Plugged the charging cord into the iPad, then into the USB hub, then plugged the hub into the duplex outlet. It charged. b.) Plugged the hub into the duplex outlet, plugged the cord into the hub, plugged the cord into the iPad. Charged. c.) Plugged the cord into the iPad, then plugged the hub into the duplex outlet, then plugged the cord into the hub. Charged. Reckon Apple will give me a replacement or a credit toward an iPad 4?

• Like 1

I can't seem to duplicate the problem... using an iPad Air...

I recall something about the newer iPads adding an additional layer of safety...  this may be the change for newer i devices...

I have had a wire seem to be problematic and behaved in a similar way... working for one I device but not another.

Tossed the old wire and bought a new colored one to keep from having another issue...

The old wires have a rubber coating that oxidizes and breaks down and gets crumbly.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I've had aftermarket charging wires (lightning) that only worked one way (label up or down).  Took me a while to figure it out, but now I routinely plug and unplug a charger if it doesn't work, and it will usually come around...