Under-seat fuel tank

Matt,

Got any info on an underseat fuel tank?

The Turtlepac is a known portable fuel tank that gets used for ferry purposes.

There isn't much space under the seats in a Mooney.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Your glider doesn't need extra fuel does it? :)

The more elegant solution for adding permanent volume to your fuel tanks comes from Piloto.   The Next bay in the wing gets sealed up to add additional fuel volume.   Also known as Extended range fuel tanks.  The STC has been used on all mooneys up to 130gallons available in the long bodied ones.  

This also works as one of the best speed mods.  It eliminates time of descent, fueling and climbing because you don't need a mid flight stop for fuel.... See if the ad is still in the MAPA magazine...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I have a M20A with the Aux tank under the rear bench.  I have 17.5 gallon aluminum fuel tanks in each wing and 14 gallons in the rear tank.  I think a more interesting question would be could you get rid of the wet wing in a M20C and replace it with a M20A fuel system.  It would probably make more sense to just get a M20A vs. a M20C but interesting if you could do it.  I've had zero problems with my aluminum tank fuel system.

I don't think that configuration could be certified today.  There is strong emphasis on crashworthy tanks and seat stroke.  Even though the A has it and the C and E seats are the same, I think it would be a hard sell.  Ferry tanks are in a different risk category, you don't have pax sitting on them.  

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Install some Kevlar skids on the belly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he's more worried about weight in the seats collapsing through the top of the tank. In a gear up landing, there is usually not much belly damage beyond antennas, strobes, steps and some scraping.

Like your new title, Anthony. It fits . . .

Also agree with your suggestion to keep fuel away from the cabin. There are enough post-accident fires without having incendiaries inside the cockpit. That's where Monroy comes in. Good for Matt, Jose is here @Piloto

• Like 1

With fuel in the wings there is no added wing bending moment stress like if the fuel were in the fuselage. It also does not take cabin space. Fuel leaks on a wing tank has no effect on the occupants while on a cabin tank the smell could be nauseatic. Can't imagine the fuel smell on a cabin tank after the plane sitting on the ramp for a few hours in the sun. Just don't light up that habano or you will join Fidel in hell.

José