M20J exterior placard kit

helitim

Getting ready for paint soon and I was looking for an exterior placard set for my J.  Several places offer kits and the prices vary a bit.  My question is more about quality than price.  Who sells the "best" and most complete kit for a J?

Tim

Moody Aero Graphics makes placard kits which have a clear transfer film, it only leaves the individual letters behind.  Ive seen the screaming eagle aero graphics kits, they are cheap and have  clear decal thats part of it. get the individual letter kind.

• Like 2

Placarding has to be done with any paint job.  We make most of our N numbers, spray masks, and placards in house for all our paint jobs on a vinyl graphic cutting machine.  Check with your shop to see what they do.  Your POH has all the required placards listed. 

Edited by Rmag

Rmag,

Are you saying the No Step lettering on my wings can be painted in place?

I had the vinyl looking individual letters, once.  Some of the letters departed in IMC....

The next shop used a nice label, but not really nice....

Best regards,

-a-

What we did on mine is apply the vinyl which are individual letters and than clearcoat over it.  The entire aircraft is clearcoated.  So on mine, the clearcoat over the vinyl is invisible.

If we did it on a non-clearcoated aircraft, we would have to mask around it and you would see the clearcoat if you looked close.  Or we make a vinyl reverse mask and spray on the placards.  It just depends...

I looked through my photos but I couldn't find anything except this pic.  The "205 SE" silver is actually a silver vinyl that was clearcoated.  Everything else is paint. 

I can shoot a pic tomorrow of the no step or the fuel placard, etc.

IMG_7300.JPG

Edited by Rmag
  • Like 2

On March 26, 2017 at 4:16 PM, carusoam said:

Are you saying the No Step lettering on my wings can be painted in place?

I have been an indirect customer of theirs for years and am always impressed by what they can do. No step lettering would be easy for them. 

Here are some photos taken today:

You can see the pearlescent paint in the "NO STEP" pic.  It is actually a Matterhorn white base; it does not look that silver in real life.

fuel.jpg

no step.JPG

Edited by Rmag
  • Like 2