Tempest Vs Champion

I was going to switch to tempest but I got this advice from my Mechanic. curious what others have heard?

"

When the Tempest/Unison plugs first came out we started to encourage the change over as they were cheaper. Over time we found that they did not last as long, got fouled quicker resulting in additional maintenance time. We have since changed back to Champion – A little extra money, however lest headache/maintenance – downtime?

"

In 2013 I had a factory remanned IO-360 A3B6 installed with Champion massives. For the longest time I had starting issues; even had a mag replaced under warranty. After installing Tempest fine wire plugs the starting is night and day. It also runs smoother at idle. I'm convinced I had a set of the problem plugs that Raptor is talking about. In any case I'll never go back to Champion. Tempest fine wires are far and away the best choice in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Pare said:

I was going to switch to tempest but I got this advice from my Mechanic. curious what others have heard?

"

When the Tempest/Unison plugs first came out we started to encourage the change over as they were cheaper. Over time we found that they did not last as long, got fouled quicker resulting in additional maintenance time. We have since changed back to Champion – A little extra money, however lest headache/maintenance – downtime?

"

Years ago, your mechanic was correct, Tempest bought the Unison line of spark plugs and they were definitely not up to the standards of the Champions. But that was 10 years ago, and since then, Tempest redesigned their plugs and the Champions went to crap.

BTW, I'm running Tempest fine wires as my bottom plugs and Tempest massives in the tops and am very happy.

• Like 1

Had Champions in a 0-300 (172 rental) would foul out in 75~100hrs and fail in 200~250hrs, switched to Tempest (massive) fouling all but went away. They did get cleaned and checked at the 100hr inspections, I replaced them at 800hrs when it was taken off lease. Tempest for me on both plugs and oil filters, for now I can't see spending the money for the fine wires 

Tempest generously donated a set (12) of fine wire spark plugs to the Mooney Summit and the Bob Gilliland foundation in October for the silent auction. (Full disclosure, I am a board member.) This alone would make us choose Tempest. We have Tempest plugs and oil filter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kevin Pare said:

"When the Tempest/Unison plugs first came out we started to encourage the change over as they were cheaper. Over time we found that they did not last as long, got fouled quicker resulting in additional maintenance time. We have since changed back to Champion – A little extra money, however lest headache/maintenance – downtime?

Nonsense. That comment alone would cause me to consider changing mechanics. He needs to stick with Curtis Jennys.

• Like 3

Champion has their reason.

Tempest has one too...

If you need a plug for a desk decoration.  Champion is your go to source.

If you need a spark plug for an aircraft engine, go Tempest.

There are two products that get mentioned around here all the time.

Champion spark plugs and Gill batteries...

The data is irrefutable(?) (big word of the day) :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Nonsense. That comment alone would cause me to consider changing mechanics. He needs to stick with Curtis Jennys.

Bob has a very good point here.

Consensus is without a doubt for Tempest Fine Wires. However, in all fairness to Champion, word is that they recently redesigned their plugs. Mike Bush had a few choice words about why it took them so long. I'm not going to be their test pilot though, running Tempest Fine Wires and plan on keeping it that way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Champion has their reason.

Tempest has one too...

If you need a plug for a desk decoration.  Champion is your go to source.

If you need a spark plug for an aircraft engine, go Tempest.

There are two products that get mentioned around here all the time.

Champion spark plugs and Gill batteries...

The data is irrefutable(?) (big word of the day) :)

Best regards,

-a-

I inherited Champion plugs when I bought this plane. They performed and tested terribly and I switched to Tempest fine wires asap. I had to buy a Gill battery in an emergency. Performance was marginal and I got rid of it 7 months later in favor of a Concorde RG 35 AXC.

• Like 4

I had to buy a Gill battery in an emergency. Performance was marginal and I got rid of it 7 months later in favor of a Concorde RG 35 AXC.

How did you measure performance? Gills requires maintenance, Concords don't, how often did you check it? Sometimes the problem isn't the arrow, it's the Indian.

The crude voltage regulators we use tend to be harder on wet cells, they need to be topped off with distilled water on occasion.

I've got 3 years on current gill, previous lasted 7. But will go with a Concorde next time just to save me some hassle of removing battery box cover.

Just now, teejayevans said:

How did you measure performance? Gills requires maintenance, Concords don't, how often did you check it? Sometimes the problem isn't the arrow, it's the Indian.
The crude voltage regulators we use tend to be harder on wet cells, they need to be topped off with distilled water on occasion.

The Gill was crap. This Indian shoots straight. I measure performance in cranking power. The Gill was marginal. The Concorde is much better.

The VR was new with a new Plane Power 70a alternator just 19 months prior to the new Gill being installed. The JPI 930 indicates the voltage steady @ 13.8-13.9 V. Since replacing the Gill with the Concorde the VR continues to operate flawlessly. The Concorde has significant reserve power. The avionics shop thought they had the plane on external power while working on updates and wiring the AOA through the AP. The Concorde started the plane after being drained for 4-5 hours.

The Gill was installed 7/10/2014 and replaced 2/26/2015. The plane flew 58 hours in the 7.5 months. 

(I use the Gill around the shop now and then. If I need full power I need to have charged it recently. I use 2 very old Concordes to power my 24V tug. I seldom have to put them on the charger, maybe after 6 months.)

Don't get me started.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deb said:

Tempest generously donated a set (12) of fine wire spark plugs to the Mooney Summit and the Bob Gilliland foundation in October for the silent auction. (Full disclosure, I am a board member.) This alone would make us choose Tempest. We have Tempest plugs and oil filter.

Absolutely.  The best ignition system available for the IO550 platform (on the Ovation anyway) consists of Bendix mags, gold seal harness, and Tempest iridium fine wires.

Concord batteries are not really "maintenance free". They still require removal, cleaning, capacity testing, recharging and re installation.  The battery box drains and vents still require cleaning which means removing the battery.

Just because the battery will crank the engine doesn't mean it has it's rated capacity, especially important for IFR operations.

Clarence