Tempest Vs Champion

This I can buy. http://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/spark-polarity

The direction the coil is wound and the polarity of the magnet.   What I don't believe is that the Kit to rebuild the magnetos is the same for both mags so this would say that they are both Negative or Positive.

Edited by Yetti

Mike Busch reminds me of Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers. Educated in math at Dartmouth and Princeton Mike chooses to get his hands dirty while challenging the sacred cows and OWTs. Ray and Tom Magliozzi were MIT grads (Tom had the PhD) who chose to be auto mechanics.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Yetti said:

I am still knid of not buy this theory.   Generally speaking in a DC system electrons flow from Negative to Positive.  Now we are saying the magnetos can create a negative spark and a Positive spark?

Mags are not a DC system. There is a magnet with a north and South Pole which rotates by a coil. This produces an AC waveform which is the interrupted by the points opening. The positive half of the AC waveform fires two of the plugs and the negative half fires the other two. It is not rectified. 

The mag input shaft makes 2 complete rotations to fire all the plugs so the firing would be pos, neg, pos, neg. these are the coupled to the distributor block with a 2:1 gear ratio. 

Edited by N601RX
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, N601RX said:

Mags are not a DC system. They there is a magnet with a north and South Pole which rotates by a coil. This produces an AC waveform which is the interrupted by the points opening. The positive half of the AC waveform fires two of the plugs and the negative half fires the other two. It is not rectified. 

The mag input shaft makes 2 complete rotations to fire all the plugs so the firing would be pos, neg, pos, neg. these are the coupled to the distributor block with a 2:1 gear ratio. 

Aha, this explains why it is recommended to swap the positions of the plugs, so they change from moving electron movement from "center to ground" to "ground to center".