King KI256 Issue

@Airways Here is the contact info for Bob> He did mine several years ago and it was amazing how quickly it spun up after I got it back.

You might also check for a used one available if you have your part number.

Robert Bramble
Aerolab Aviation Services
www.aerolabaviation.com

FAA CRS#40RR239Y
8191 N Tamiami Trail
Hanger B-2
Sarasota, FL 34243
Ph: (913) 680-4169 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Airways said:

Allright, time to ship this thing. Can I take the adi out by just unscrewing the 4 bolts or do I need to take off the glareshield ?

I was able to remove my Ki256 with oversight from my local A&P.

The glareshield will most likely need to be removed.  The input and output of the vacuum will need to be removed and the electrical vacuum switch will need to be removed.  Also, my Ki256 had a backing plate that will fall if you were able to disconnect everything and remove the insturment.

• Thanks 1

Although removing the KI256 is not to large a problem.  The reinstallation is a big problem and requires a King shop.  The KI256 needs to be run on the bench with the autopilot computer.  If not done there will be little chance the KI256 will run the autopilot satisfactorily.  You might talk to Bob Bramble about this.  I sent miner in for overhaul years ago I also sent the computer and he set them up (for a little extra money).

• 3 months later...

E733C44A-8475-4C58-B3D8-E1425E0B73FF.thumb.jpeg.14b9595117f815ed23ce132d5bf6ee5d.jpegHad the same failure today, 10 degree bank showed, plane flying straight hSI also showed 10 degrees of course, I suspect the hSI is hitting the dust, getting twin G5’s mid January, wasn’t much fun hard imc, got ForeFlight up and flew partial panel, my autopilot never disconnected but was finicky to keep heading I end up shooting ap off and flew by hand. Non event 1.5 hard imc w the 10degrees showing, I get into clear sky and dam thing gets back to normal. I wish I had extra 16k to swing the garmin autopilot all the same time. 

CD999726-D46C-45C0-80AD-59746F37DB9B.jpeg

Edited by Alejandro cantarini

3 minutes ago, Alejandro cantarini said:

E733C44A-8475-4C58-B3D8-E1425E0B73FF.thumb.jpeg.14b9595117f815ed23ce132d5bf6ee5d.jpegHad the same failure today, 10 degree bank showed, plane flying straight hSI also showed 10 degrees of course, I suspect the hSI is hitting the dust, getting twin G5’s mid January, wasn’t much fun hard imc, got ForeFlight up and flew partial panel, my autopilot never disconnected but was finicky to keep heading I end up shooting ap off and flew by hand. Non event 1.5 hard imc w the 10degrees showing, I get into clear sky and dam thing gets back to normal. I wish I had extra 16k to swing the garmin autopilot all the same time. 

CD999726-D46C-45C0-80AD-59746F37DB9B.jpeg

Just so you are aware, twin G5s won’t run your King 150 autopilot. The G5 can replace your King HSI but a G5 can’t replace your KI256.