King KI256 Issue

Wait a minute...

The electric trim wasn't working?

There is probably a paragraph in the manual of what the indications of a trim fault are.  Some trim faults are as simple as forgetting to turn on the electric trim switch.  Mine stays on continuously.

Testing the AP will fault if the electric trim is off.

PP ideas only, not a mechanic or avionics guy.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

The electric trim worked fine. but I couldn't use altitude hold. I was in nav/heading mode only, so I was just using the up/down buttons to control pitch. It was not turning the trim wheel but pushing the yoke in and out to control pitch.

But I could not get it to lower the nose, i think this was because the computer thought it was already 10 degrees down?

Thinking out loud....

Altitude hold in the KAP and KFC systems is done by a reference line (air pressure tube) to the static system.  (Somebody mentioned this around here the other day...)

following an ILS without an FD, there are bright yellow lines that appear as the plane approaches the ILS course.  But these reference lines are a display.  The AP and the nav radio do the calculating and controlling.

I'm unsure of how the FD works.  

You can read up on how these things work.  BK includes the pilot manual on line...

Bank angle is communicated back to the AP from the attitude indicator.

Generally the BK HSI, attitude indicator, and AP are one integrated system... they are communicating continuously.

It would be hard to tell which part isn't working properly.  The AP in FD mode is supposed to follow the FD indicators.  If the FD indicators are working, the pilot is supposed to follow them by manually controlling the plane if the AP isn't working...  push the CWS button for this...  (control wheel steering)

partial thoughts of a PP only. Not an instrument technician... or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Mine went belly up at one point as well. I recommend Bob at Aerolab aviation for OH of the current KI256 unit. 913-680-4169. He did mine in less than a week turn around and I was in TX. Make sure you also send the flight computer with it so they can be properly mated. 

9 hours ago, Zwaustin said:

Mine went belly up at one point as well. I recommend Bob at Aerolab aviation for OH of the current KI256 unit. 913-680-4169. He did mine in less than a week turn around and I was in TX. Make sure you also send the flight computer with it so they can be properly mated. 

What did it cost for an OH and an A/p alignment?

Great time for that decision...

save The OH cost and apply it to the modern technology...

Or stay with the lower 2.5 Amu cost to OH and fly on.

Kind of a good problem to have.  If you really appreciate the amount of data the Aspen provides...

Or just a 2.5 amu pain in the butt if you have a great appreciation for staying with the Swiss Watch of an HSI...

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great time for that decision...

save The OH cost and apply it to the modern technology...

Or stay with the lower 2.5 Amu cost to OH and fly on.

Kind of a good problem to have.  If you really appreciate the amount of data the Aspen provides...

Or just a 2.5 amu pain in the butt if you have a great appreciation for staying with the Swiss Watch of an HSI...

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

And possibly eliminate the vacuum pump and associated costs/risks.

If/when mine goes, I will likely go that route. Too cheap to pull the trigger until then.

iain

People have been going all electric for a while.

Craig, our chief MSer, pioneered the all electric movement in his Aspen instrumented J, a few years ago...

A small secondary alternator (may be) used in place of the vac pump.

Plenty of details to be checked first...  

know what you have for battery back-up.  

Check its capacity status before needing it.

PP thoughts only.  

My belt and suspenders approach includes two batteries and two vac pumps...  picture descending engine out, in bumpy IMC, relying on a TC to keep the sunny side up.  The sensation will only last for a couple of minutes... never give up. :)

Best regards,

-a-