430w VOR not locking in

AlexLev

The 430w problems seem to continue. Just a month ago, I sent the unit back for an overhaul because my right knob was bugging out. $1,000 later, that seemed to be fixed and Garmin also said they fixed an "unrelated mainboard issue," without specifying any details.

Well, today doing some instrument approaches, the localizer on ILS approaches worked fine, but when attempting to track a VOR, any VOR that was 15 miles or more away didn't seem to lock in. I could only lock in the closest one, but my King VOR (#2) could get other ones fine. I could not do some VOR approaches on the 430w because of the issue.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it another potential internal problem with the 430w? Will Garmin try to get another $900 out of me to fix it?

I'll call the avionics shop on Monday to see as I recently had the plane in there for a 330>ES update and I know some of the wiring had to be redone to get the units to talk to each other, so who knows, maybe something got setup incorrectly; just strange that the ILS seems to work fine and the VORs do track, but it seems like only if I'm within 15-20 miles of them. Any suggestions + experience, welcome. Happy to report back if/when I find a solution.

Edited by AlexLev

Sounds like an antenna challenge.  The kind where cleaning the connections or grounds could help.

is It sharing the antenna with the BK unit?  Start looking where the Garmin is connected, all the way back to where the antenna is known to be working properly.

PP ideas only, not an avionics guy.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Sounds like an antenna challenge.  The kind where cleaning the connections or grounds could help.

is It sharing the antenna with the BK unit?  Start looking where the Garmin is connected, all the way back to where the antenna is known to be working properly.

PP ideas only, not an avionics guy.

Best regards,

-a-

I'll look into it. Actually not sure if the antenna is shared with the #2 VOR, I'd imagine prob two different antennas. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Can you identify the station by Morse code? If you can't, that's a good indication their is a signal strength issue. 

Hm, not as strong as the other VOR. So would that likely be an antenna issue?

If you take it to an avionics shop, they have a radio test device that can send a test VOR signal of calibrated strength to check your reception.

On the other hand, when they did this because I was having similar problems to you, they ended up finding a piece of wax string in the antenna connector in my 530 tray.  The tech looked in after removing it and said "hmm", reached in with tweezers and pulled out a 1" piece of wax wire lace.  That fixed my problems 

The Garmin overhaul should carry a 180 day warranty. But like others said it sounds like an antenna issue. I'd guess a bad diplexer, splitter, or connection issue. I'd be surprised if you had two separate VOR antennas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It probably is just not seating in the cage correctly so the antenna connection is weak.  Doesn't sound like an radio issue would as suggested above use contact cleaner and make sure seated in cage correctly.  More than likely the fix is the cost of a can of cleaner. 

Edited by M20F
Swapped antenna for radio
  • Like 1

Just now, Bob - S50 said:

We recently had a problem with our KNS80, the DME portion.  Turned out the connector on the cable was broken, the cable had high resistance, and the antenna was bad.  Other than that everything was good.

Reminds me of this video: (1:07)

For those suggesting contact cleaner, do you mean simply removing the 430w and spraying the back of it as well as the tray? Any contact cleaner will work? I can just get something at Wal-Mart?

• Like 2

You likely have an antenna splitter to couple both receivers to the antenna on your tail. If the king is receiving ok then the antenna is fine. swap the two BNC connectors on the splitter and see if the problem stays with Garmin or moves to the King. If it stays with the Garmin I would suspect the transmission line from the splitter to the radio. Inspect the BNC connector and see if the center pin has pulled back.

• Like 1

Reminds me of this video: (1:07)

For those suggesting contact cleaner, do you mean simply removing the 430w and spraying the back of it as well as the tray? Any contact cleaner will work? I can just get something at Wal-Mart?

I was working at Kalitta when that happened. I believe it was a DC-8 that was having pressurization problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I have an appointment with the avionics shop in a few days to troubleshoot this. It is the same antenna for VOR #1 and #2, so I wonder if it's something internal with the Garmin unit. Hopefully will be covered under their refurb warranty. 

Simple fix: the splitter had a loose connection. Opened up the panel on the left side, reseated the connection, then safety wired the splitter to prevent it from bouncing around as much.

Thanks guys!

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 1