Semi Real Simulations

Yetti

So I know my PPL only did a cursory what to do if VFR into IMC.  The two tricks I was taught was turn around and how to spot IMC conditions at night.  and then the required hood time.  Some hours were in the sim.

Reading the Norfolk incident got me to thinking. (I had 12 hours traveling back home from San Fran)   I learned on my own about PAR.  I have a plan if I were to get stuck in IMC.   I have read the IFR study book several times.

Why would we not practice this as Primary students?  If IMC is like the number one killer of pilots, seems that primary training should address these items.  We have the pitch hitter course. Why not the save your bacon from IMC course.

scenario Low fuel and airports socked in.   Me VFR pilot.  Don't have much time on them, but I am OK switching to instruments and keeping the plane aloft.

So now need to get down. What I don't know is can the tower do something like a PAR to get me down?

The plan is to find a nice VFR day (give the tower a phone call prior to set up the scenario ) and let them vector me and see how we do.   

Then possibly run the sim with a safety pilot and me under the hood.

I'm not really sure I guess on one hand you could have some yahoos who will go out and think they can fly IFR all the time.

I suggest to VFR pilots to get the approach procedures learn to read them and go play with the approaches at non towered airport in VMC.  Then get a safety pilot or instructor and fly them under the hood.  Having these skills and knowledge just might save your bacon one day.

The other thing is the procedures have a lot of good information about the airport in a convenient format.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

We have the pitch hitter course. Why not the save your bacon from IMC course.

The course you're looking for is available.  To sign up for it, you go out to your local airport and say, "I'd like 10 hours of Instrument instruction to keep me from killing myself if I accidentally find myself in IMC."  (As a bonus, you'll probably get a free Flight Review, too!)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

Why not just get your instrument rating? Because this type of procedure is exactly what it trains you to do. 

I think the approach to put the fear of God into pilots to avoid IMC is the right one. It's too easy to have too much confidence in your abilities. 

IMHO , VFR pilots should stay in VFR condition period . A course to invite VFR pilots to push into marginal VFR or possibly into light IFR is ( pretending it could be a life saver ) is a non-sense . Get an IFR rating or keep it VFR . VFR and IFR are two completely different worlds . Even getting an IFR rating in VFR condition under the hood would not prepare a pilot to real IFR . 

Keep yourself in VMC. Get the rating. It will save your bacon over and over. Until then...Get a home desktop simulator (x-plane etc). Get your plane. Learn to scan instruments. Learn to execute approaches to mins in turbulence and bad weather. This will help you during your real world training. Then integrate with instructions from ATC on vatsim or pilotedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning on doing the IFR last year. 

Let refocus this.  I have no intention of going into IMC along the same lines as I have no plans about having an engine out, or electrical failure.  But I still had to practice for an engine failure and carry a handheld radio in case of radio failure.

I would say this would be one more emergency procedure that is in my bag of tricks.

Not sure about y'alls weather, but in Texas the saying is "if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes"  which also confounds weather forecasters.

• Like 1

+1 for getting the basic training on flying an ILS to a local airport.  Hood time, turns to a heading, speed control, get on the ILS, get to the ground...

If you are VFR, in IMC, you are having an emergency.  

Ask for and get the help you want.  Keep the bank angle shallow.  

PP experience only.  I have Plenty of VFR days cut short by cloud coverage...

Getting the full IR is a great idea if you have the AMU to do it.

Best regards,

-a-