First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

Its been a month !!! - where are the numbers - I would expect pitchforks and tar and feathering at this point:)

Just joking, but with this much focus on this project and its potential benefits I am sure everybody wants to know

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aidanf said:

Its been a month !!! - where are the numbers - I would expect pitchforks and tar and feathering at this point:)

Just joking, but with this much focus on this project and its potential benefits I am sure everybody wants to know

Hi Aidanf,

On this G model we experienced an increase of CHT's versus the reduction on my C. I've since learned that the baffling I'm using is too tight to the # 2 & 3 cylinders. We put some spacers in between the baffling of these cylinders and the temps have decreased. I'm working on a kit to install that will give more clearance and hopefully get the temps lower. They aren't crazy high but a little higher than what it was prior to the mod. 

Performance flights haven't been done that I'm aware of to gauge any increase in speed. 

Thanks,

• Like 2

David and Cindi will be at the Mooney Summit V with their fantastic cowl mod. Airport day, open to all, will be Friday Sept 29th where David will have the mod and will speak about it. David, bring your order book, I think you will need a big one.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Aidanf,

On this G model we experienced an increase of CHT's versus the reduction on my C. I've since learned that the baffling I'm using is too tight to the # 2 & 3 cylinders. We put some spacers in between the baffling of these cylinders and the temps have decreased. I'm working on a kit to install that will give more clearance and hopefully get the temps lower. They aren't crazy high but a little higher than what it was prior to the mod. 

Performance flights haven't been done that I'm aware of to gauge any increase in speed. 

Thanks,

You know engineering is hard, and good engineering is even harder, thanks for the update and best of luck

49 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

David and Cindi will be at the Mooney Summit V with their fantastic cowl mod. Airport day, open to all, will be Friday Sept 29th where David will have the mod and will speak about it. David, bring your order book, I think you will need a big one.

Hi Mike,

I don't think I'll have my airplane at the Summit, but hope to have the G model I just completed there if the owner is able to bring it down. Will keep you updated.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Mike,

I don't think I'll have my airplane at the Summit, but hope to have the G model I just completed there if the owner is able to bring it down. Will keep you updated.

Thanks,

David

David,

My F will be there if you want to demonstrate the install process...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Get in line there pal! Waiting for Matt's F and I think I'm the next F in line. emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For guys who proudly boast of being CBs there sure are a lot of sharp elbows in the throw money at David line. 

• Like 4

Just now, orionflt said:

remember, you still have to work on the older C cowl!

Since you mention that, working on the new upper cowl and associated mold right now. Trying to figure out a good compromise for looks, performance and cost. 

Curious ... Doesn't  the 'C' and 'G' models share the same firewall forward engine and cowl setup ?  :(  I would have never guess an increase in CHT hum interesting.  From what I heard for several source the air exit  outlet area is suppose to larger than the  air inlet area at least as  I understand it.  Just when I think I understand something.... :angry:

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Get in line there pal! Waiting for Matt's F and I think I'm the next F in line. emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I know,  but it was worth a try.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sabremech said:

The line right now as I know it, Matt, Marauder, and Bob. 

Matt being within close distance to me will make Marauder and Bob's go much easier! 

Thanks guys!

David, Bob is ready to take 3RW down after Summit. Or perhaps after KOSH if down time can be kept to 4 weeks or so. The former would be safer I would suppose.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think David is still working on the 337 for my airplane. We have kind of tentatively planned to get it in the end of August but the speed at which the FAA moves is not, shall we say, expeditious.
In the meantime I have done some premodification flights and have come up with a solid 147 Knots true airspeed at 6500 feet running wide open throttle with ram air open at 100ROP. I recorded all the conditions so I can replicate them after we get the mod installed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On 9/4/2017 at 1:21 AM, Guitarmaster said:

I think David is still working on the 337 for my airplane. We have kind of tentatively planned to get it in the end of August but the speed at which the FAA moves is not, shall we say, expeditious.
In the meantime I have done some premodification flights and have come up with a solid 147 Knots true airspeed at 6500 feet running wide open throttle with ram air open at 100ROP. I recorded all the conditions so I can replicate them after we get the mod installed.

I'd be surprised if you don't gain at least 5 knots.  I'm sure everyone is anxious to see the new numbers.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2017 at 1:21 AM, Guitarmaster said:

My former 1967 F was a fast F 148 Knots true at 7000 WOT and high RPM on cold days.  Used a four way cardinal run and averaged the speeds with GPS ground track.  With the ram air it was 152 knots true but I did t used the ran air unless in VMC conditions and the only about 1/4 of the time.  I had the laser closure and the calipers reversed.  A few fairings may have also been on there and flap and aileron gap seals.

Original two place windscreeen - retractable step.

If I had not sold my F and upgraded to my Missile I would have gotten in line for this mod.

-Seth

Edited by Seth