First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

Marauder, my bad, you're right. That draggy F needs help more than my poor old E and you have my blessing to be the next guinea pig. 
(BTW, in the future I will communicate with David via PM so that you won't worry about what deals we are making.)

You forgot what my day job is. I just need to make a phone call and you'll have all kinds of new friends.
  • Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

You forgot what my day job is. I just need to make a phone call and you'll have all kinds of new friends. 

Geez, what's your beef now? I conceded my place in the line...

BTW, N943RW already has Sabremech's signature in her log book. Just saying, not name-dropping.

• Like 1

Geez, what's your beef now? I conceded my place in the line...
BTW, N943RW already has Sabremech's signature in her log book. Just saying, not name-dropping.

Flat tires (tyres for Andrew) don't count.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Hi - I hope you took cruise speed and engine ops (temps etc) data before the change and that you will take it again after.  We are all very interested.

In a separate note - if you were to make a comparable setup for the next generation of Mooneys that would fit my airplane - I would be interested.  A rocket version?  (It would need bigger breathing holes) but wow that would make quite the acclaim look.  Of course it would be a pain to actually do it since the cowl is only 2 piece instead of 3.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

The data from my airplane which has my mod on it, showed a 6kt gain in speed and 20 degrees f cooler cylinder temps. I've tightened a few areas of the baffling on mine and the current project and hope to see a little better change in CHT's. I don't expect the O-360 to run as cool as the IO-360 does but at least get it a little cooler.

David

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

The data from my airplane which has my mod on it, showed a 6kt gain in speed and 20 degrees f cooler cylinder temps. I've tightened a few areas of the baffling on mine and the current project and hope to see a little better change in CHT's. I don't expect the O-360 to run as cool as the IO-360 does but at least get it a little cooler.

David

Nice.

So what's next? Will you make a cowling cover for your other Mooney fans?

Plan to work a mod for the 65 and earlier Mooney's. I've been asked to make a new cowling for the J's with round inlets and less cost than the  LoPresti cowl. 

Still much to do on the older ones with less options to modernize than the later models.

David

• Like 1

Somebody really intelligent working at Mooney put those side panels in place with easy to remove hardware.

He should of got a production or maintenance award for that!

From a PP point of view, they were easy to remove about monthly, to  inspect all the oil returns and seals from all the cylinder heads... and retrieve any loose hardware that collected in the bottom...

of course, that was a time when engine blocks were regularly lubricated externally... :)

The next production award probably went to the brilliant guy who removed all of the external oil leaks...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Somebody really intelligent working at Mooney put those side panels in place with easy to remove hardware.

He should of got a production or maintenance award for that!

From a PP point of view, they were easy to remove about monthly, to  inspect all the oil returns and seals from all the cylinder heads... and retrieve any loose hardware that collected in the bottom...

of course, that was a time when engine blocks were regularly lubricated externally... :)

The next production award probably went to the brilliant guy who removed all of the external oil leaks...

Best regards,

-a-

I like my '66 E's cowl design better than the 2 piece J cowl. The cheeks panels come off after every trip of any length. I look around with the mind set that there's something amiss and I need to inspect until I find it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

d0bb2808028cbd1ac7e3ade35171d58f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure why it does this loading sideways thing, but when you click on the picture it would display correctly. 

Thanks Marauder! 

• Like 3

On May 19, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Browncbr1 said:

Hi David,

Is the price range you mentioned earlier based on dropping off a plane and picking it up looking like the one above?  Painted and ready to go?

-craig

Hi Craig,

The price range is for completely assembled baffling, carb airbox if needed, spinner and backplate, hardware and cowling modified at my shop. I painted this one more for future promotional photos. I will deliver the cowlings in primer and it's up to the owner to have it painted to match. It's the time it takes to paint as well as trying to color match sometimes 15 year old faded paint. That's going to lead to problems I don't want to have. 

I don't have the hangar facilities to have airplanes dropped off for me to do. My current plan is to ship the baffling, spinner etc to the customer and have them send me the cowling. While they have the baffling etc changed out, I'll mod the cowling and ship it back to install.

I haven't done this yet, but it's my current plan.

Thanks,

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 1

Hi - I hope you took cruise speed and engine ops (temps etc) data before the change and that you will take it again after.  We are all very interested.
In a separate note - if you were to make a comparable setup for the next generation of Mooneys that would fit my airplane - I would be interested.  A rocket version?  (It would need bigger breathing holes) but wow that would make quite the acclaim look.  Of course it would be a pain to actually do it since the cowl is only 2 piece instead of 3.

I'm going to go out and do some actual flying and some hardcore data collection before my airplane goes in. I have a 75F and have a pretty good handle on temperatures and speeds but I want to be able to replicate the conditions when the new mod goes on..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1