First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

4 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

@Sabremech, David, a plenum sounds like a dog house to me. I wonder why Kerrville went to and continues to use baffles/seals while playing with the exits = cowl flaps which are now large, fixed and closed on the side. I suppose there might be some suction/venturi(?) effect from the airstream. 

Hi Bob,

Quite similar, but plan to have it removable with camlocs like the cowling. I think too much air is lost through the seals and it makes the cowling more difficult to install. The plenum will not let much air leak out. I need to have something standard on all the airplanes as I can't chase one that has higher CHT's and others that don't. The plenum will be attached to the inlet air rings for a controlled airflow. 

I suspect Mooney continues to use baffles with seals because thats what their TCDS says they must use. 

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Here goes: Testing is going good finally. Like Marauder said, we made progress on the CHT’s. Right now, 4 airplanes have been modded. Nothing specific yet on the oil cooler relocation. Baffling will be changing to a plenum instead of baffle seals. Matt’s and mine will get a plenum in the next month or so. If it works like I think it will, I’ll mod the other 2 airplanes baffling. We’re thinking of closing the sides of the cowl flaps like on the later Mooney’s. I have a good number of customers who would like it done but are also waiting for the final solution so there’s not any more modifications needed later. 

We plan to install cheek vents similar to Ray-Jay and LoPresti cowlings on Matt's next to increase the air exit flow. 

Pricing is in the $5-6 k range including installation and spinner if necessary.

Thanks,

David

Thanks for the update David.  I am sure you will get the temp issue licked and the standardized “package” will all have consistently cool temps and similar plenum config.  Sounds like a good solution.  Hope it goes smooth.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, Bob_Belville said:

My contribution to this fabulous project might be a promotional pic after Hawk Aircraft Painting finishes his thing.  

IMG_20180315_125733788.jpg

And I won’t let out the scheme or color combinations...honest,  but it’s NICE!!

• Haha 1