First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

3 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

C3 or C2. Much more powerful!

Of course if you went to a 2 ship formation and one flew the first and the other flew the fifth then you would have a power chord formation!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dominant and tonic

• Like 1

Hi Marauder,
Your cooler will hit the engine mount if you install the STC doubler as it comes in the kit. I installed my doubler on Matt’s airplane last night and we have about 3/4 inch clearance now. I’m thinking of doing my own STC for the cooler relocation now as it should be fairly simple and to correct the problem with the currently available STC. 
46EEB94B-5455-472D-B734-1882DCCD4279.thumb.jpeg.141b91293502fe8ff40755108b585580.jpeg
13010275-BCDA-487F-9D72-4B4E7B93D7AB.thumb.jpeg.d7efb7566e5fbad6bbc90bfea95091ba.jpeg

Hi David,

What’s the best way to proceed with the oil cooler relocation kit? Should I order it and have you install it? Or should I order it and have you provide me the modified doubler? Terry is willing to install the modified doubler but would speed things up if we had the correct doubler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Hi David,

What’s the best way to proceed with the oil cooler relocation kit? Should I order it and have you install it? Or should I order it and have you provide me the modified doubler? Terry is willing to install the modified doubler but would speed things up if we had the correct doubler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Marauder,

I’d suggest ordering the kit and I’ll provide you with a new 2 piece doubler. It would be better for me if the relocation was done before I do the cowling mod. 

Thank you,

David

• Like 1

Hmmmm...  an C, E, and G all flying in close formation...

Cchord.jpg.94fbf685dfb04f225654513ab5636f2a.jpg
If there was no E available, you could find an F, but it be much tighter with the G and the C would be in loose formation. Or, if you like, a "sus4" formation....

I think I need to go to bed....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Went up this afternoon or some testing in the C.

There is no discernible difference in TAS with the cowl flaps trailing open by 1"  Granted, weather conditions were different from the last time; the temp and hence, DA being the biggest factor.  
What is noticeable is the CHT.  Power is about 23.5/2400.  

Old Cowl flap setting

IMG_20171123_064426670.thumb.jpg.a74d2d004b9c1bbe46ad909191f71b5b.jpg

New Cowl flap setting:

IMG_20171130_031327231.thumb.jpg.78b82149bcf2f2517daae25ec1911209.jpg

It definitely looks like Dave's cowl mod helps with cooling.  Granted, it appears that the MP is about 1.5" higher in the first pic, but I have a hard time believing that alone is producing 30 degree hotter temps.

I'm excited to see what happens to my "F"!

Edited by Guitarmaster
  • Like 1

Just now, MyNameIsNobody said:

390ish Cylinders down to 360ish?  Is this the temps that C’s commonly see?  I do not ever see those temps in cruise in my E model.  Is this the cowl or is this what “C’s” do for cylinder temps?

I wish Scott! I routinely get over 400 in the climb and in cruise I'm lucky to get under 380-390....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

390ish Cylinders down to 360ish?  Is this the temps that C’s commonly see?  I do not ever see those temps in cruise in my E model.  Is this the cowl or is this what “C’s” do for cylinder temps?

Hi Scott,

I’m not sure what part of the mod has helped my temps the most, new baffling, cowling, or cowl flap modification. I still have some more work that we’re experimenting with on the cowl flap exit air. We’ll see how we do on Matt’s. I expect some issue to cause me to scratch my head and then struggle to fix. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 4

It’s raining 337’s here today! I received Matt’s and Marauders 337’s today. The FAA actually beat me to getting the paperwork done before the job. Time to get Matt’s flying for data reports!
David

That is great news David. Let me know when you think you can get the doubler to me and I will order the oil cooler relocation kit.

Really curious to see Matt’s numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

That is great news David. Let me know when you think you can get the doubler to me and I will order the oil cooler relocation kit.

Really curious to see Matt’s numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will do. I think I can work on the doubler next week. Need to check my stock of aluminum.

Thanks

1 minute ago, bradp said:

You guys still running 50 ROP >75%?  

Negative. My Owners Manual says that greater than 75% power requires Full Rich. I'm only there for takeoff and climb.

My engine also performs better if I back off from WOT until the MP needle wiggles, which can be a lot at >8000 msl,  something to do with air flow through the carburetor as well as the WOT fuel enrichment circuit. You injected guys don't seem to have this issue . . . .