First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

Did another fitting today.  We are finding, on the injected models, the oil cooler is simply in the way.  Dave thinks he could work around it, but it is uber tight. The command decision is to relocate the cooler  to clear up space and also make room for a second landing light.   This will delay things a bit.  

The plan is to move the oil cooler and plug the with a plate allowing us to test the ram-air.  If the ram-air is ineffective, we remove it totally, making even more space and a cleaner installation. If we do remove the ram-air, I will have a nearly-new servo boot for sale.

Also for sale will be the LASAR cowl closure. 

Matt - thanks for the write-up on the situation. I will be interested in the results of the oil cooler relocation. Personally, I’m hoping the ram air is now less effective and we can lose them.

Keep us posted!

Terry - looks like I am going to be looking at the oil cooler relocation again. Hope you have time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

On 10/26/2017 at 9:19 PM, Marauder said:

Matt - thanks for the write-up on the situation. I will be interested in the results of the oil cooler relocation. Personally, I’m hoping the ram air is now less effective and we can lose them.

Keep us posted!

Terry - looks like I am going to be looking at the oil cooler relocation again. Hope you have time!

That would be nice. With a more effective air intake and IMO better aerodynamics, hopefully the ram air will be made unnecessary. 

Ok, I have the Oil Cooler relo to accomplish as well as new Oil Cooler Unit, mine is shot. So I would and WILL add a second landing light. I also bought the Lasar cowling mod but before I do that I want to know: How much, How long? I also have an F...

A4A70120-10C6-4E81-B3BA-E72A16A4754C.jpeg

Edited by Captnmack

Ok, I have the Oil Cooler relo to accomplish as well as new Oil Cooler Unit, mine is shot. So I would and WILL add a second landing light. I also bought the Lasar cowling mod but before I do that I want to know: How much, How long? I also have an F...

A4A70120-10C6-4E81-B3BA-E72A16A4754C.thumb.jpeg.cfe3d520dcbbfaee97a4e31b9d3ad1c1.jpeg

I think David and Matt have been working on Matt’s plane since sometime in September. There were other issues involved (ex. replacing the engine mounts) and some in project experimentation (reinstalled the ram air, etc.) going on. Probably won’t be able to say what it will take to do an F that is ready for the mod (cooler relocated) until he is ready for my plane.

Same for costs since he is introducing new variables like the carbon fiber spinner.

An idea to possibly consider... along the way...?

Keep an eye open for the more modern J air intakes that allowed for the deletion of the ram air.  Each year the improvements came, the ram air showed less value.  See if that would fit...

Sooner or later the normal intake came with enough breathing improvements to just delete the ram air altogether. Water and ice ingestion challenges also improved.

Hopefully giving something positive to look for in the bone yards... what year did the J get the last update for the air intake?

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/26/2017 at 3:01 PM, Guitarmaster said:

Did another fitting today.  We are finding, on the injected models, the oil cooler is simply in the way.  Dave thinks he could work around it, but it is uber tight. The command decision is to relocate the cooler  to clear up space and also make room for a second landing light.  
This will delay things a bit.  
The plan is to move the oil cooler and plug the with a plate allowing us to test the ram-air.  If the ram-air is ineffective, we remove it totally, making even more space and a cleaner installation. If we do remove the ram-air, I will have a nearly-new servo boot for sale.
Also for sale will be the LASAR cowl closure. 

Will the LASAR cowl closure off this plane fit a '64 C?

If so, how much?

Edited by ShuRugal

3 hours ago, bradp said:

What are the alternate induction air setups like on these classic models?

The mouth under the ram air is the intake. One of the reasons is the ram air has a bigger impact on the E/F models is that the original design has a 90 degree turn in the intake and the ram is a direct shot to the intake body. David's design is set up similar to the one on your J. It is in the round hole. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Any updates?

Final fitting of parts is done. Working on the oil cooler relocation and final assembly. FAA paperwork is the delay right now. They have a back log and the standard answer is that the safety items take priority. Unfortunately, my cowling is not a safety item. 

• Like 2

Final fitting of parts is done. Working on the oil cooler relocation and final assembly. FAA paperwork is the delay right now. They have a back log and the standard answer is that the safety items take priority. Unfortunately, my cowling is not a safety item. 

David - thanks for the update. Please give me an idea on the time to do the oil cooler relocation. If this makes it easier for the retrofit, I’ll have mine moved before coming out. Really curious on Matt’s new numbers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

David, I am looking at a window to have the plane painted before next summer flying season which means getting the plane to the paint shop no later than March. And of course the cowl work will need to be finished before paint. 

Whatcha think?

Stop stepping ahead in line! :)

I think based on his earlier post, the issue will be getting the approval done. Since you are doing the work in NC, does this mean it needs to be approved by the NC FSDO? Or is the recent change in this process (centralized) going to have an effect on the approval process.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I think based on his earlier post, the issue will be getting the approval done. Since you are doing the work in NC, does this mean it needs to be approved by the NC FSDO? Or is the recent change in this process (centralized) going to have an effect on the approval process.

That sounds like a good question that David will know the answer to. And I'll run it by Lynn today.

Since David's delay is bureaucratic, it probably will not matter whether you're next or next to next.

3 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

That sounds like a good question that David will know the answer to. And I'll run it by Lynn today.

Since David's delay is bureaucratic, it probably will not matter whether you're next or next to next.

David sent me a message for my plane's information to pre-file the paperwork. Did he ask the same for you? I am not sure of how the paperwork flows work today. All I do know is from personal experience, is that what flies with one FSDO, doesn't always with another. I think this is why they were centralizing the process. It could explain the delays if they are sending these to a central location for approval. I suspect the local FSDO may still be in the paperwork path to manage the requests.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

He will be doing the approval with his FSDO in Wisconsin, fortunately for you Chris.  No way would the Philadelphia FSDO approve this. They are still stuck in the stone age.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

David sent me a message for my plane's information to pre-file the paperwork. Did he ask the same for you? I am not sure of how the paperwork flows work today. All I do know is from personal experience, is that what flies with one FSDO, doesn't always with another. I think this is why they were centralizing the process. It could explain the delays if they are sending these to a central location for approval. I suspect the local FSDO may still be in the paperwork path to manage the requests.

Hi Chris, I talked with the FAA today on your project and will send the 337 in tomorrow. They are helpful but quite busy.

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

No, David has not asked me for that info yet.

Bob, I’ll need some info from you next week as I’ll submit your 337 later next week. Right now, I think our original plan on yours will still work.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2