First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

I am following this thread with interest over past 6 months!

I would really like this cowl mod for my ‘67F; it’s keeping side cheek panels but it gives a modern look and perhaps better cooling.

A couple of questions for @Sabremech:

Would it be possible in a future to buy parts and STC from you and complete installation myself with help of my IA?

Is new spinner necessary or the original one can be retained? Carbon one is great but increases the cost.

I would be interested to see pre and post install temperature data for IO-360 installation (F or E).

Great job!

Igor

1 hour ago, Igor_U said:

I am following this thread with interest over past 6 months!

I would really like this cowl mod for my ‘67F; it’s keeping side cheek panels but it gives a modern look and perhaps better cooling.

A couple of questions for @Sabremech:

Would it be possible in a future to buy parts and STC from you and complete installation myself with help of my IA?

Is new spinner necessary or the original one can be retained? Carbon one is great but increases the cost.

I would be interested to see pre and post install temperature data for IO-360 installation (F or E).

Great job!

Igor

Hi Igor, 

Here's some answers to your questions. Yes you will be able to buy some of the parts and you and your IA can install them. I'm going to keep the actual cowling parts installation in my shop. That's the only way I can control fit and finish of those parts. A 201 style spinner is necessary in order to get the room in front of the #2 cylinder that allows me to mount the air filter in the pressurized area of the cowling. The carbon fiber spinner saves quite a bit of money to the cost of my kit over the Hartzell spinners. 

We'll have good data soon when we finish Matt's F model that we're doing now. I hope for all good results, but we'll see with test flight data.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Put me down for one of those spinners. 1987 M20K 252 TSE. :D

Hi Paul,

Do you know what part number spinner you have?

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

23 hours ago, daver328 said:

When do you want our 1965C????

As soon as I can get you in, will strive to make it happen. I have to have my meeting with my FAA inspectors to see if they'll continue the field approvals when I'm done colliecting data. Maybe I'll just need a little more data! 

10 hours ago, TTaylor said:

Love the new spinner, will there be an option for those of us with three blades?

There will be as long as I have one available to make a mold from.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

I know the official numbers are not out yet.  However, does anyone that has had it done (I know just a couple at this point) have a rough (just a rough feeling) of numbers.  What kind of speed increase and what kind of temps (I know one actually had a slight temp increase). 

7 hours ago, wcb said:

I know the official numbers are not out yet.  However, does anyone that has had it done (I know just a couple at this point) have a rough (just a rough feeling) of numbers.  What kind of speed increase and what kind of temps (I know one actually had a slight temp increase). 

Hi wcb,

There's only two out there that I've completed so far, my C and a G model. My temps went down a bit and the G's up a bit. Nothing drastic but working on some changes in my baffling.

Speed went up on my C and no flight test data for the G. 

Working in an F model right now and Matt took great data before the mod and we'll do the same after. 

Thanks,

David

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hi wcb,

There's only two out there that I've completed so far, my C and a G model. My temps went down a bit and the G's up a bit. Nothing drastic but working on some changes in my baffling.

Speed went up on my C and no flight test data for the G. 

Working in an F model right now and Matt took great data before the mod and we'll do the same after. 

Thanks,

David

sorry if I missed it, but what kind of speed bump did you see in your C?

Thought I would chime in with the owners point-of-view.

First, David has been outstanding to work with!  I've had a great time thus far.  :)  Very detail oriented. 

I got into this about 1.5 years ago when Dave came out to measure for the injected models.  At the end of the day, I think I said something like, "if you need someone to do some testing for the injected models...."  and so here we are. :)

The process is taking a little longer than first anticipated, but not unexpected.   There is alot to measure, fit and prototype.  Even though she has been grounded for the better part of a month (due to both our jobs and unexpected issues), I have enjoyed seeing it come together.  Using the time to install a new Skytec starter since the front end was torn apart, I am now at 1007# useful. :):)  I also replaced the alternator belt, but I'm not sure I got it on right...  

IMG_20171007_103856334.thumb.jpg.7e7a8a070c8570b7efb67ecf17c8b6f2.jpg

Now the nitty/gritty.  

1. Presently, my TAS at 6500FT is 147KTAS as recorded in a four heading test, running WOT, RamAir open and 100 ROP.  All engine parameters are recorded as well.  This pretty closely lines up with the book.  The only mods were/are the LASAR closure and brake rotation. 
2. I opted to install new engine mounts so that I knew the cowling fit was as close to a stock airplane as possible.
3. I am leaving the oil cooler in the stock location to reduce time and cost a bit.
4. The third cowl flap is going away initially to see what effect (if any) it has on temps.  The idea is to experiment and see how to get the best cooling.
5. The ram-air is staying for now.  He wanted to see if there is any need for it with the mod.  My personal feeling is the ram-air will be useless since Dave's intake is in a high-pressure area.  I am not expecting any MP gain with the ram-air open.  We shall see.  It would be nice to remove if if I can.

Dave thinks the third week of October is looking good as a completion date.  I hope so!  I'm getting excited to take her out on the test flight  :)

Edited by Guitarmaster
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1