First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

On 9/24/2017 at 1:07 PM, Conrad said:

I love watching the pace pick up on these! This is one mod that I don't think will evaporate from lack of demand. When (if?) you get around to us 65'ers, you'll have a customer here.

Me too.

• Like 1

Just now, N6758N said:

Hey Bob,

Are you up next for the mod?

It's up to David. Last I heard he wanted to do mine and Chris' this year. (He'll be at Summit this weekend so we'll be discussing.)

Why are you asking? I'd like to get mine done before WI winter sets in but I am happy for David to learn as much as he can on other guinia pigs. :P 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

It's up to David. Last I heard he wanted to do mine and Chris' this year. (He'll be at Summit this weekend so we'll be discussing.)

Why are you asking? I'd like to get mine done before WI winter sets in but I am happy for David to learn as much as he can on other guinia pigs. :P 

Just curious. As much as I would love to do this mod, its not in the budget right now. I would love to see if David would work with me in the future and allow me to do the mod myself. I don't have nearly the sheetmetal experience he does, but I have done a lot of projects in the past. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Danb said:

Will Chris be at the summit also, Bob it looks like a go.

Hope he is but I have not heard anything lately re his plans.

BTW Dan, Buttercup needs someone for her Mooney Ambassadors tent at the AOPA Flyin next weekend. Are you planning on going to Groton? She had a Mooney lined up but the owner realized he had a conflict. 

Anyone else planning to go or could go? Your plane would need to be in position by midday Friday (10/6) through 3:00 Saturday. AOPA.org/GON

26 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Brand new spinner option for my modification shown at Mooney Summitt V.

New spinner is 1 pound  versus 3.4 for the original.

David

IMG_6652.JPG

Hi David. Is it a composite and does it only come in black? Sorry I won’t be able to make the Summit. I’m in between business trips and the honey. “Better get it done” list is pretty long. Really anxious to see Matt’s finished plane. 

36011100-6481-4DC1-BD18-3FAAF4B6E7C0.thumb.jpeg.990c2bc87c4a72289c4eecd32a7c059e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris, this spinner is carbon fiber. I'll have to check on colors but I suspect it could be painted. I'll need to touch base with you soon to see how your airplane is equipped and then get any missing parts gathered up.

Sorry you couldn't make it down!

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 1

I came by and looked at that spinner today. I'd buy one for my 252 today if it's available and could be approved. It is gorgeous. It would be worth coming up with a complementary paint scheme for the plane that would allow you to keep the raw carbon fiber look of the spinner. 

• Like 4

A big thank you to everybody who stopped by on Friday at the Mooney Summitt to check out my cowling mod. I received some great feedback and  great suggestions. It was a pleasure talking with everyone and putting faces to names! 

Thanks again,

David

• Like 3

David - really nice job with the spinner.  It takes a lot of precision to be able to get a spinning carbon fiber part balanced correctly (think carbon fiber wheels on high performance supercars in terms of RPM and need for balancing).  Often involves pre-weighing strips of CF and either adding additional or grinding grams at a time out the cured part.  So however you accomplished it- great job. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

David did a great show and tell at a table of great looking parts...

I asked about getting an O spinner.  The Hartzel one is too small in diameter and doesn't match the cowling perfectly like the old Mac did.

Best regards,

-a-

It was great to see Anthony, Dan B., Alan Fox, and others at Summit which was the biggest and best ever thanks to the Elliotts and the Dubins  and many more who helped make it so!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

David I missed seeing your cowling. Caught a glipse as it was secretly loaded onto the golf cart. Maybe next time

Hi Raptor,

My apologies for that. We were crunched for time to load the airplane or I would have certainly shown the parts and process to you. Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 

Thank you,

David