First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

7 minutes ago, 1967 427 said:

Looking good.  How is the learning curve going with the AMU's?  How many hours in? And what is the percentage complete? Or how many hours to go?

Big block guy goes for the 327 of Mooney engines. I like a guy that can go fast in multiple ways. :)

And by "guy" I mean in an all excepting pronoun way...

nice rides.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:21 PM, 1967 427 said:

Looking good.  How is the learning curve going with the AMU's?  How many hours in? And what is the percentage complete? Or how many hours to go?

I still have a lot of hours in this one as I used this one to make all the templates for the baffling. I'm working on refining my processes to reduce the amount of time it takes to assemble and install. 

15 minutes ago, LeeBurk said:

Just found this thread and I'm glad I did. I've been talking to Lopresti about their Super Cowl. Where can I get more information about this one? I may have overlooked something in the thread that says that. 

Hi Lee, right now I'm working on 1966 and up C, E, F, & G models for my mod. It quite possibly will go to an STC but I'm working with my FSDO and ACO to keep doing these until the STC is complete some day. 

I know many have asked about the cost of the mod and I've been hesitant to put a number out in public. I'll go ahead and give a range now ( $4000-$6000) as there are variables from one aircraft to another and the new spinner is expensive if I need to buy them new. Each airplane will be priced individually based on what it's equipped with and whether a full baffle set is needed and a new spinner or not. Hope this helps. I'm happy to e-mail pictures of the mod process if anyone wants more detail than I post online.

sabremech at gmail.com.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

The cowling is complete and now a little body work before priming and painting. 

IMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

I just had a beer - otherwise I'd fly to Wisconsin right now to park outside your hanger and get in line.

• Like 9

I am looking forward to seeing it completed.  Also looking forward to hearing about speed gains and temperature with baffling system redo.  Cosmetically it is a Home Run (especially on C with elimination of chin).  If it runs cool and faster that really makes it a nice improvement.  Wish we had not had to replace a perfectly functional transponder for ADSB upgrade.  That was a big bank hit.  Nice work Sabre.

• Like 2

Installed the finished cowling today. Propeller balance tomorrow with final work on Friday to have it ready for a test flight and customer pickup on Saturday. 

I have to say that I like it. Here's a couple of before and after photos.

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

• Like 19

Just now, Sabremech said:

Installed the finished cowling today. Propeller balance tomorrow with final work on Friday to have it ready for a test flight and customer pickup on Saturday. 

I have to say that I like it. Here's a couple of before and after photos.

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

Looks beautiful. Great job!

• Like 8

Just an absolute awesome result!  I love/love/love IT!  Well done David.  She looks fast just sitting there.  The spinner being so tight on the cowl is stunning visually.  You should be very proud of your accomplishment.  The owner is getting a massive upgrade that will be admired by all that see it on the ramp.

• Like 1

On May 11, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Sabremech said:

Hi Lee, right now I'm working on 1966 and up C, E, F, & G models for my mod. It quite possibly will go to an STC but I'm working with my FSDO and ACO to keep doing these until the STC is complete some day. 

I thought 1965 was when the cowls changed. What keeps it from going on a 65' E?

David, do you suppose that by AirVenture you'll be able to schedule some installs? Am I understanding that w/o the STC you're not going to be able to mod our cowls while we're installing your baffles and send the cowl back to us to complete installation? (My A&P is a MSC with a lot of fabrication experience.)

Is there an E ahead of mine on your backlog? That would be fine either way, I'd love to hear some before/after CHTs, CAS/TAS, & maybe OilT comparisons. 

52 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

David, do you suppose that by AirVenture you'll be able to schedule some installs? Am I understanding that w/o the STC you're not going to be able to mod our cowls while we're installing your baffles and send the cowl back to us to complete installation? (My A&P is a MSC with a lot of fabrication experience.)

Is there an E ahead of mine on your backlog? That would be fine either way, I'd love to hear some before/after CHTs, CAS/TAS, & maybe OilT comparisons. 

Hi Bob,

I'm going to mod an F model next as I haven't done one yet and there's more to learn. I still plan on my process to send the baffling out as that's mostly bolt on parts that can be installed easily and then have the cowlings in my shop to mod them. 

I need to build up parts stock before I'll start to schedule more airplanes. Oshkosh is a stretch to commit to a schedule. My own Mooney is still awaiting the speed brakes install that I purchased at Osh last year. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Bob,

I'm going to mod an F model next as I haven't done one yet and there's more to learn. I still plan on my process to send the baffling out as that's mostly bolt on parts that can be installed easily and then have the cowlings in my shop to mod them. 

I need to build up parts stock before I'll start to schedule more airplanes. Oshkosh is a stretch to commit to a schedule. My own Mooney is still awaiting the speed brakes install that I purchased at Osh last year. 

Thanks,

David

Thanks David, I am perfectly happy to wait while you work out any bugs that come up. My CHTs are fine and speed is okay so I'm looking mostly for pretty - my ARI cowl mod is 20 years old and the FG is ratty.

• Like 2

Thanks David, I am perfectly happy to wait while you work out any bugs that come up. My CHTs are fine and speed is okay so I'm looking mostly for pretty - my ARI cowl mod is 20 years old and the FG is ratty.

Hey! Stop cutting in line! I'm after Matt! You have a cowl, I have a gaping hole!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

Just now, Marauder said:

Hey! Stop cutting in line! I'm after Matt! You have a cowl, I have a gaping hole!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Marauder, my bad, you're right. That draggy F needs help more than my poor old E and you have my blessing to be the next guinea pig. 

(BTW, in the future I will communicate with David via PM so that you won't worry about what deals we are making.)

• Like 1