First and Second customer Mooney in for cowling mod.

I've had my first customers airplane now for a couple weeks for the cowling modification. I'm waiting on FAA field approval before I physically start the mod on the aircraft. I have all the parts in house and just have a little more to finish on the baffling then I'm ready to go. My backup plan is using DER's if for some reason the FAA turns down the field approval. Once I get started, I'll post the before, in progress and finished photos in this thread. 

Thanks, 

David

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I've had my first customers airplane now for a couple weeks for the cowling modification. I'm waiting on FAA field approval before I physically start the mod on the aircraft. I have all the parts in house and just have a little more to finish on the baffling then I'm ready to go. My backup plan is using DER's if for some reason the FAA turns down the field approval. Once I get started, I'll post the before, in progress and finished photos in this thread. 

Thanks, 

David

Cool, great news! It is a great looking cowling mod you have designed. 

I look forward to hearing the details and seeing the pictures.

Edited by Mooney_Mike

38 minutes ago, Marauder said:

As you know David, a few of us F guys are waiting in the wings...

I'm going to work to get the early interest people done before the STC process. Slowly acquiring parts for yours! 

• Like 2

Following closely - The front end of that G model is nearly the spitting image of my C - same prop, spinner, and cowl closure.  But I'm guessing its cowl flaps are adjustable unlike mine?   If so I'll be very curious to know how much climb and cruise cooling are improved with the cowl flaps cracked open to match mine.  

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Following closely - The front end of that G model is nearly the spitting image of my C - same prop, spinner, and cowl closure.  But I'm guessing its cowl flaps are adjustable unlike mine?   If so I'll be very curious to know how much climb and cruise cooling are improved with the cowl flaps cracked open to match mine.  

I have a G model and the cowl flaps are fixed and not adjustable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

As much as I played with my cowl flaps in the past 100 hours of flight time, I haven't noticed a lick of difference in speed or CHTs (albeit I only have the factory probe on the #3 for the Garwin cluster)

I was going to post the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

As much as I played with my cowl flaps in the past 100 hours of flight time, I haven't noticed a lick of difference in speed or CHTs (albeit I only have the factory probe on the #3 for the Garwin cluster)

Somebody at the factory had the same observation.

So they set the flaps about an inch open and left them that way through the following years...

Airflow will get better with David's cowl with either flap situation.  It will be interesting if the fully open cowl flap shows increased benefit compared to the set cowl flap...

Send a spare JPI to the guy with adjustable cowl flaps for testing...:)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

That's discouraging.  Was planning on widening up the fixed flaps on my '68 G at next annual.  I've been on a two-year mission to get my CHTs under control.  Like you, I have the factory single-probe sensor with no idea how correct it is...

Does anyone know why the plug covers on the doghouse are different? The right side is two pieces that must be put together before screwing on, while the left side is one piece. Until just now, I wondered if that was just an old repair on mine . . .

C'mon, David, we are waiting to replace ours, too. Just wish it wouldn't cost me a new spinner, too, and a painted one at that . . .

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 0:14 PM, Hank said:

Does anyone know why the plug covers on the doghouse are different? The right side is two pieces that must be put together before screwing on, while the left side is one piece. Until just now, I wondered if that was just an old repair on mine . . .

C'mon, David, we are waiting to replace ours, too. Just wish it wouldn't cost me a new spinner, too, and a painted one at that . . .

Hi Hank,

I believe the answer to your question is because the right side cylinders are more forward on the engine and closer to the cowl which slopes down more in the front. 

Just my .02 though.

David

7 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Time to say goodbye to the doghouse baffling. Still waiting on the pre approval from the FAA to start the mod to the cowlings. 

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

That be some expensive sheet metal . . . 

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Still waiting on the pre approval from the FAA to start the mod to the cowlings. 

Go ahead and start putting it together in the meantime - we won't tell anyone, so they'll never know :lol: