Who is the oldest?

13 hours ago, M20FanJesse said:

hahaha this is true. I imagine I'll be carded for a few more years. 24 now :rolleyes:

I was carded regularly into my 30s . . . A gas station I frequented coming home from work decided to card me one Saturday afternoon in my yard working clothes--I was 37 . . . But it beats the alternatives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

I was carded regularly into my 30s . . . A gas station I frequented coming home from work decided to card me one Saturday afternoon in my yard working clothes--I was 37 . . . But it beats the alternatives.

I was once with my Grandma at a restaurant, and she looked every bit her early 90's, and she got carded.

14 hours ago, Bennett said:

82 this month, but still a kid at heart. Started flying (Army De Havilland Beavers on wheels) in 1956 - Long story, I was not an Army pilot. Civilian flying started around 40 years ago, and I bought my first Mooney shortly thereafter. Pretty much continuous flying since then in a variety of owned aircraft for business and pleasure. I know there are older Mooney pilots, but I don't know if they are MS members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Bennett takes the lead

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

57, what I use to do all day now takes me all day to do....

What's the old country song lyric?  I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"?  Will be 66 in a month.

• Like 2

Although my friend Harry Moyer is not on MS, I will say Harry is 96 and regularly flies his M20E.

Harry is planning another trip to Mexico soon.  I'm impressed!

Me, I can't believe 68 is my age.   It all happens so fast!  Seems like turning into a senior citizen at 55, was just a few short years ago!  Enjoy each moment I say, as no one gets out alive :P.

Wishing you all many, many more happy Mooney flights :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Although my friend Harry Moyer is not on MS, I will say Harry is 96 and regularly flies his M20E.

Harry is planning another trip to Mexico soon.  I'm impressed!

Me, I can't believe 68 is my age.   It all happens so fast!  Seems like turning into a senior citizen at 55, was just a few short years ago!  Enjoy each moment I say, as no one gets out alive :P.

Wishing you all many, many more happy Mooney flights :)

That is wonderful, good for Harry.:)

I hope to be there someday well maybe not 96 but to keep flying for a long time.  I'm 51 so that would be 45 more years of flying.:blink:

I guess his plan is it to be flying when he passes on then he is already half way to heaven. Maybe some angels will come down at that time and support the wings of the Mooney and the Mooney will make it to heaven as well.:)

• Like 1

Speaking of turning 55, or what I humorously call "geezerville", I have to thank AARP for forewarning me as I approached that age.   Seems like a year or more before that magical turning point, I would receive mail from AARP, subtlety reminding me of the impending threshold.  How fun was that [ha, thanks a bunch AARP].  

Now, at this point, seems they've given up on me, although I do occasionally receive a final plea from them! B)

68 and counting.....

This thread is of interest to me because I'm still employed as a pilot flying biz jets under part 91, 91K and 135.  Under those FAR's one can fly for pay as long as one passes a physical (first class, in my case) and passes the proficiency check.  We currently have a pilot in his late 70's, several in their mid-70's.

I like my job, but I have to face the fact that there is a point where I need to quit because I'm not sharp enough anymore.  That "point" is hotly debated in various forums.  According to the younger guys, there should be a firm line in the sand at 60, 65, 67....or something else depending on their age and seniority so they can move up the list.

On the other hand, I will never carry a passenger for hire more precious to me than my wife regardless of what the FAR's say.  Does it make sense to say, "I'm too old to fly commercially, but I can safely carry my wife flying?"

So.....where is that "point" and how does one know?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

What about @Oldguy? He hasn't chimed in yet.

I'm just an "oldguy" as it relates to my field. Been in DP/MIS/IT/whatever for 43 years. Looking for my 62 birthday this year, so according to some of you, I'm a spring chicken!

1 minute ago, Oldguy said:

I'm just an "oldguy" as it relates to my field. Been in DP/MIS/IT/whatever for 43 years. Looking for my 62 birthday this year, so according to some of you, I'm a spring chicken!

I've been working with computers since fortran days. Input was via paper punch tape, pre punch cards. 1961. Old Guy... yeah I guess so. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

I've been working with computers since fortran days. Input was via paper punch tape, pre punch cards. 1961. Old Guy... yeah I guess so. 

Yep, WATFOR, 360 ASM, and all of those forgotten languages we used to write enormous 4K programs. Back when a "forklift upgrade" actually required a forklift!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Does it make sense to say, "I'm too old to fly commercially, but I can safely carry my wife flying?"

So.....where is that "point" and how does one know?

Seems we had a thread about exactly that recently. It was inconclusive. 

Edited by Hank