adjusting KAP-150 bank angle

peevee

We have a KAP150, I don't suppose there's a simple and easy fix for this, like it's a known issue is there?

It's pretty odd. It's fed from an aspen 1500 system, though it might still be getting attitude from the BK AI, I'm really not certain. We run in HDG mode 99.9% of the time because the aspen is driving GPSS.

I just had a Pro 1000 installed and when I left the shop it would barely do half rate. I have a KAP150 and it only took the avionics shop about 10 minutes to adjust it. Works fine now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, PR474 said:

I just had a Pro 1000 installed and when I left the shop it would barely do half rate. I have a KAP150 and it only took the avionics shop about 10 minutes to adjust it. Works fine now.

Huh, any idea what they adjusted? The 1k or the autopilot?

They adjusted the autopilot. Mine was also tracking well left of the magenta line and they adjusted that out as well, again thru the screw hole in the face of the autopilot.

Paul

increased the gain from 1.0 to 1.5, elsewhere on the web I see that aspen recommends that now anyway, we'll try and adjust as needed.

I have seen reference to an adjustment on the face of the autopilot itself as mentioned above, but I can't locate a service manual online. Does the front screw only adjust wings level and tracking?

pulled the AP out of the tray to peek around. BTW, around here it has been said the KAP-150 doesn't have a static connection, that is incorrect. Anyway, there are only 4 adjustments on the entire thing. The one on the front labeled RN for I assume roll neutral. There are stampings on the faceplate that say RC and PC, I assume that means roll control and pitch control or something similar, but there are no adjustment pots near them

On the side of the box there are 3 pots, PDN, PDG, and RDG. I'm guessing it's pitch something neutral and pitch something gain, and roll something gain. But I can find nothing on the internet. I might bump RDG up a little. Very gently. I might also just send the stupid thing to oklahoma.

IMG_20170328_095531.jpg

There was a discussion on whether the KAP got it's static signal from the static system or if it was sensed internally.  Somebody was trying to figure out how/why the alt static port didn't seem to affect their alt hold function...

Good to know how that works.

Best regards,

-a-

The KAP and KFC work identically the same with the exception that the KFC has the very desirable Flight Director. But both hold altitude by holding pressure altitude references to the static system. In truth its only capable of holding a pressure altitude.  This why you have to update the altitude hold after every altimeter change. In contrast the next generation of digital AP like the KFC225 allows maintaining the desired flight level using an automatic Baro correction capability that allows it to hold the same altitude after any altimeter setting change. 

• Like 1