Headwinds

co2bruce

On 3/22/2017 at 9:57 PM, Godfather said:

On long trips pushing a 40 knot headwind I'm just thankful to be flying a Mooney. Nothing worse than flying a 172 with great downward visibility and watching the car traffic pass you by. 

I flew a 152 to Tallahassee once. 80 miles.

By car, takes about 1hr, 15 mins (cruise set 80-85mph on I-10). The fastest I've ever made the trip is 52 minutes at about 1am doing 90mph the whole way for a family emergency.

That one day, we had a ~20kt headwind, our groundspeed was ~55kts, WOT 2400rpm. Including the vectoring around KTLH approach, it took us about two hours from startup to shutdown. What a pain in the rear.

8 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

767-300 someplace over the North Pacific.....

I remember having over 700 knots GS at times in my travels....could not tell you when or where....also have a picture of minus 75 degrees at altitude....surprisingly it was over the equator.  The coldest temps I have ever seen aloft have been over the equator and the warmest have been northern latitudes.  But the experts who write the books about polar ops keep telling me that fuel freezing on polar routes is a problem....they should get out more......

I just flew ATL-FRA and back. The outbound flight detoured a little further north to avoid the nor'easter burying New England. As we were going over the southern tip of Greenland, the reported OAT was -80°F, with a 176 mph tailwind.

Headwinds were how I ended up with a Mooney. Flying home from Camarillo in the 150 my wife fell asleep with Napa just ahead she woke up a good bit later and Napa was just barely behind and said we need a faster plane. Music to any pilots ears. There were times the traffic below was faster but still total time was less because you still fly a straight coarse. With the Mooney I don't think I've ever seen ground speed below 130mph

45 minutes ago, SpeedyJoe said:

70kts headwinds flying up the San Joaquin Valley after Thanksgiving last year. With my Ovation I still got home, with the club's C172 I wouldn't have launched.

IMG_3292.JPG

My first solo cross country once upon a time as a student pilot was to kbtv in an alarus ch2t if I remember that correctly but anyway it could fly 95 in cruise all out or 90 more co sefvatively.  I remember it taking over 2 hours to fly back in strong winds - it takes 25 min in my current airplane.

Edited by aviatoreb