Typical Vertical Descent Rate Poll

201er

Vertical Descent  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What vertical descent rate do you use?

• 200fpm or less
    • 300fpm
    • 400fpm
    • 500fpm
    • 600fpm
    • 700fpm
    • 800fpm
    • 900-1000fpm
    • 1000-1500fpm
    • 1500-2000fpm
    • 2000fm or more

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Where would I find that in the WingX menus?

WingX is becoming my goto device for what my portable GPS used to do...

Best regards,

-a-

I'll look tomorrow but I don't remember having to turn it on, it's at the top in the banner with ete, distance etc

I don't have my iPad with me but I'll answer tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, carusoam said:

What is the reason for your 1000'fpm descent avInfo?

-------------------------------------------

(Joke)    That's because I still can't get used to the speed buildup on descent, and I wait too long to start.  Then as I get closer to the airport, I realize my mistake and start pushing forward on the yoke, like a dork.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peevee said:

So.... Wingx pro provides a countdown of how fast I need to descend to make my destination. I'm lazy and just tick it up to about 800 fpm and pitch for 1k fpm down.no math required 

Droid EFB does that as well, but it gives me the required descent rate based off arriving at airport elevation, not pattern altitude so unless I'm on a straight in it is saying I need to descend a little faster than necessary. However, it is fairly close. 

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Droid EFB does that as well, but it gives me the required descent rate based off arriving at airport elevation, not pattern altitude so unless I'm on a straight in it is saying I need to descend a little faster than necessary. However, it is fairly close. 

A number of apps, both iOS and Android, do it this way for simplicity. No pilot set up of parameters. It's just there as a general guide.

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Thank you, sir.

Best regards,

-a-

I can't find any setting to toggle it on and off, the only thing I can think of is check settings (gear at the bottom) and turn on the setting to show distance and time to next waypoint and destination. I think it's just on by default. I'll mess with it next time I fly, since it won't show me anything on the ground anyway.

6 minutes ago, peevee said:

I can't find any setting to toggle it on and off, the only thing I can think of is check settings (gear at the bottom) and turn on the setting to show distance and time to next waypoint and destination. I think it's just on by default. I'll mess with it next time I fly, since it won't show me anything on the ground anyway.

It appears automatically on the left hand side of the top strip along with other GPS based information when in flight with a destination. Shows the same info as DroidEFB, ForeFlight, FlyQ and a number of others - basic vertical speed required from your present point to the destination. I don't know if any do anything more sophisticated than that or have settable parameters.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

That is, indeed, one of the features of WingX that I miss the most. I also miss WingX's split screen for displaying mapping and SV  at the same time and also the little window in the lower left corner that told you your location referenced to the nearest VOR. It was handy for locating oneself to ATC.

After five years with WingX I have been using Garmin Pilot for the past year and a half.  No fancy smanzy automated descent planning aids onboard anymore for me. 

Wingx also displays the traffic patterns barbs on the vfr chart, which is really handy. Foreflight will plan an entry and runway based on winds but I prefer the wingx way

Droid EFB does the same thing with the traffic pattern barbs, handy to have the little visual reminder. It also marks the extended center-line green or red (depending on current speed, if less than 30 knots it shows the departure green, if over 30 knots it shows the arrival) along with has marks every mile on the centerline out to 10 miles.Helpful if on straight in and tower asks you to report xx miles out, my visual distance measuring in the air always seems to be off by about a mile...

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Yeah, I liked those traffic pattern barbs on WingX, too. Garmin Pilot doesn't have them, either, but if ADS-B in equipped it does recommend a runway based on the current winds and provide both the headwind and crosswind components, which is pretty handy. 

I have no real experience with Foreflight. They all seem to have their little pros and cons but for the most part give you what you need to get the job done. 

Jim

I used to pay for wingx, now that I get it for free I still use it but I would pay for it over the others I've tried. I think I can get the Garmin app for free too but I haven't bothered. I like wingx. Foreflight is immediately off-putting to me for some reason. I tried to like it and couldn't.

I just count thousands of feet from pattern to where I am, using my fingers. Each finger is two minutes, anything ,either over is one more minute. I start down ~2 minutes farther out.

2200, 3200, 4200, 5200, 6200, 7200, 8200, 9200--8 fingers = 16 minutes + 1 (since I'm at 9500). So I started down at 19 minutes ETE. It's not really that hard, and the only "math" involved is "times two" and "plus one," as simple as it gets. If you can't double in your head, count the same fingers again . . . .

This gives a nice, easy 500 FPM descent, which I do power on.

Yeah, I liked those traffic pattern barbs on WingX, too. Garmin Pilot doesn't have them, either, but if ADS-B in equipped it does recommend a runway based on the current winds and provide both the headwind and crosswind components, which is pretty handy. 

I have no real experience with Foreflight. They all seem to have their little pros and cons but for the most part give you what you need to get the job done. 

Jim

Aren't these the traffic pattern lead in you like in GP?

723b0734357a4db78e67b256bccc7f5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, peevee said:

I used to pay for wingx, now that I get it for free I still use it but I would pay for it over the others I've tried. I think I can get the Garmin app for free too but I haven't bothered. I like wingx. Foreflight is immediately off-putting to me for some reason. I tried to like it and couldn't.

I have not heard of any Garmin freebies or even discounts. What's your connection?

6 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Foreflight seemed counterintuitive to me, too, for some reason.  I know that many others really like it. I liked WingX enough to use it for five years, but after trying two different ADS-B "in" hardware solutions with it I could never find a solution that entirely satisfied me.  I absolutely love Garmin Pilot in concert with my GDL39-3D, however, minus the WingX features I mentioned above, and a few others, of course. 

What we use and what we like is all very personal. I'm passingly familiar with almost all of the ones available for both iOS and Android and have a half dozen  loaded, particularly if they offer freebies or deep discounts for CFIs.

For a VFR flight, I might pick one at random. But for IFR, I go to the one I've been using and paying for for 6 years. Is it the best? Don't know and it doesn't matter. What does matter is, it is so familiar to me at this point that it does the job for me when it matters most. (In fact, if I went VFR only, I'd probably use something else.)

43 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Hi, Paul. Are you saying that runway 27 at KSEE has right traffic, as indicated by the 27R on the runway centerline extension?  If so, sweet!  Thanks for the GP tip.  I was unaware.  Most appreciated!

Jim

Jim, 27R indicates runway 27R. The non standard traffic pattern is indicated on the chart by the RP* notation. That's telling you there is non standard pattern and to check the AFD for details. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Yes, Doc, that is what I thought, unfortunately. I am familiar with the sectional markings. I was reaching to understand Paul's post as applied to peevee and my discussion above regarding WingX's graphical traffic pattern depictions.  Thank you. 

Jim

He was talking about this. Most EFB apps have something similar.

IMG_0508.PNG

Once you select your runway this is how Droib EFB shows the traffic pattern. As midlifeflyer said, it comes down to personal preference and what you are familiar with. The latest and greatest gadget/app is a negative if it's distracting the pilot who is trying to figure it all out.

Screenshot_20170326-084014.thumb.png.9aadaf5bd8c4dd646f873be62130dc30.png

ATC can drop a wrench into the most carefully meshed gears.

Yesterday Potomac Approach held me at 3000' until ~ 4 miles final to the ~ sea level runway, then said "cleared for the visual" so I dropped the Dunlops and dove.  

The G500's "blue banana" raced frantically forward and backward along the magenta line -- but it all worked out  

So much for descent planning. 

I see two calculations being used...

1) Normal descent rate calcs to arrive at the airport at altitude, on speed.  Optimized for efficiency, and safety in the event of an engine out...

2) The slam dunk approach involves the added "can I get down and slow down" equation to the solution... terribly inefficient, but dropping the dunlops with the added deployment of speed brakes will bleed so much energy...

Descending @ 2k' per minute(?) while covering 2nm per minute roughly equates to 1k' for each mile.

3) having a blue banana would be a nice way of automating that calculation and display it visually.  Thus minimizing the wasted energy or the mistake of waiting too long to deploy the speed brakes....  :)

+1 for Jerry and the blue banana.

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Exactly. Garmin Pilot does not, strangely. 

I don't see it as a big deal. It's extra and unnecessary clutter on the screen and may be the reason Garmin does not show it.

It's standard unless noted otherwise.