If Garmin was smart...

Supposedly Garmin is having a big announcement on the 31st just before sun and fun. I'm predicting a new G500 and hopefully some other stuff to help me spend money. 

However, I really feel Garmin would be wise to make a new 635 or 650 that would be plug and play into the old 430 rack. IMO if they could put the new price (without rack etc) in the $6500 range it would completely change the gps/com market. Used 430 units would become very affordable to cheaper planes etc.  Market share gains would be huge.

If Garmin was very smart, they would release an autopilot with an AML as large as the rest of their AMLs. The problem with current avionics upgrades is that your are stuck with your old autopilot or worse yet, a STec 55x. After flying behind the GFC700, I don't I could ever go back to anything less.

Not really giving it away at $6.5 k in my opinion as they sell the 625 for $5.5 k to the experimental crowd. However, they are giving it away for every one of the 100,000 slots filled with another manufacturers equipment.  That slot will not open again for another 15-20 years. 

Most of the high end panel upgrades are going with one or two 750's.  Garmin could use the 635 to start a price war and fill a lot of the 100k slots...again IMO. 

On 3/22/2017 at 10:57 AM, Godfather said:

I really feel Garmin would be wise to make a new 635 or 650 that would be plug and play into the old 430 rack. IMO if they could put the new price (without rack etc) in the $6500 range it would completely change the gps/com market. Used 430 units would become very affordable to cheaper planes etc.  Market share gains would be huge.

That's called an Avidyne 440 :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Let's not be too hard on them.
We now have a GTX-345 that will talkie in-out and even
talkie weather and traffic to Foreflight.
"

But is there any reason for the GTX345 to not be tray and at least plug compatible with the 330 for the legacy parts of the I/O?

Avionics shops must love stuff from Garmin ... keeps the hours up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Tomorrow is the webinar to talk about the new products that debuted yesterday... New G5 HSI and Bluetooth audio panels.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Is that all?! How disappointing!

4 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

That's what I understand after reading comments from a dealer. The HSI is a great development, but not in the crippled version for certified planes. Hopefully that is fixed soon.

I agree. Hopefully they'll fix that. But then again maybe the G5 HSI was just an appetizer. Maybe they will announce something big tomorrow...

http://newsroom.garmin.com/news-releases/all/all/Aviation

And from Trek, Garmin's support guy:
Yesterday, 08:02

Hello everyone,
there is a number of announcements that are being released to the public today on our newsfeed and we will be speaking to them on Friday during the public webinar. if you're interested in listening in on the webinar please register here.

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/intheair/seminars

Let me know if there are any questions,

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, KLRDMD said:

That's called an Avidyne 440 :rolleyes:

As Lloyd Bentsen deflated Dan Quayle in their VP debate by telling him "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy"

In a similar tone "Avidyne x40, you're no GTN"

I'm a huge fan of the 750 but not really a fan of the 650 surprisingly enough. Wished I had gone with twin 750's or stayed with the 430w.  To me the big let down is over the past three years the big announcement has been the G5 experimental...the other two are just software crippled units re-released two more times.  However, as crazy as it sounds I'm considering buying both and mounting them with a SV Aspen. The HSI would replace the gi106 and connect directly to the 650. So I would have 3AI's (one internal on the HSI), two HSI's, and three AHRS systems with battery backups. With that setup I'm planning on not displaying the tapes in the Aspen but using the steam gauges for altitude and airspeed. Crazy overall setup I know...

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, PTK said:

Tomorrow is the day!!

What was the big announcement that kept you so wet for the last couple of days, Peter? Do they have a replacement for the KI256 that can be used with an AP perhaps?

• Like 2