anyone have pair of Cleveland 10-49 brake master cylinders I could buy?

craigsteffen

I need to replace the pilot's brake master cylinders in my 1967 F model.  Before I throw down for a set of 10-24D upgrades, does anyone have a set of Cleveland 10-49 master cylinders in good condition that I could buy off of you, or a good place to get them? 

It needs to be soon; I'll probably pull the trigger on buying the 10-24D's this afternoon. 

Thanks for any information.  Sincerely,

Craig Steffen

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've been rushing around a bit this week trying to get my feet under me.

My status as of last week was: diagnosis is definitely need to replace or rebuild the pilot's masters, and I knew that there were ones that couldn't be rebuilt, and ones that could. 

After opening up the cover panel on Monday, and doing some googling, my knowledge was: Existing cylinders are original type (now non-rebuildable) and at least one is probably original to the plane.  Direct replacement: Cleveland 10-49, legal swap in from later Mooney models: Cleveland 10-24D. 

After spending a hectic morning on the phone: Cleveland 10-49 exist in salvage.  However, LASAR last sold a rebuild kit for 10-49 and they are no longer available.  The only path forward for my plane is 10-24D, which I have a path for but I don't want to say anything specific until I have it in my hands.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Just curious why you are looking to replace the whole cylinder instead of replacing o-rings in your existing one?

I'm not *looking* to replace; I'd be happy (and less out-of-pocket) to rebuild.  However, the thing that's not working is the check valve, and the check valves for the original master cylinders (what's in my plane) have not be available for quite some time.  I just found out today that the rebuild kit for the 10-49 also doesn't exist any more.  So that leaves me with converting to 10-24D cylinders as the only way to improve anything.

7 hours ago, N601RX said:

Spruce sells rebuild kits for the 10-49. They were around 20 each. 

Thank you everyone for your help.  After some more digging around, I do see that the rebuild kits EXIST: 

https://www.aircraftsupply.com/199-516.html

HOWEVER.  Even that description contains the rather ominous statement: "This kit will only fit master cylinders that do not have a 095-02600 Stat O Seal."  In other words, there are 10-49 cylinders that this kit will NOT completely rebuild, but there's no way to know until you take it apart.

So at this point I have two ways forward.  There are salvage 10-49 cylinders available.  There are rebuild kits available for them.  However, corrosion and wear and age can create flaws in the hard metal parts that can be difficult to detect and will make them unsuitable.  Without spending money and time to get them and rebuild them, there's no way to find out if they're really viable. 

So since I would like to get this problem knocked out at my upcoming annual at the end of April, I think I'm going to spend money to save time, and also increase my chances of having a good solution going forward, and get and install 10-24D.  I will report back when I have my solution in hand, and also report back when I have them in the plane and I've tested them.

Thanks for everyone's help; sorry I didn't end up wanting what I asked for in the post title.

• 2 years later...