any of you guys had back surgery?

3 hours ago, Danb said:

I like Drake most likely had no other  choice, I've got spondylolisthesis,you need to due your due diligence in finding the correct diagnosis and more importantly finding and evaluating the doctor's including the hospital.The internet is great and bad but full of information of which we didn't have years ago.

Problem these days with finding the correct doc and hospital are other areas of care that just happen to slip into the system which only afterwards you find out are out-of-network. The biggest culprit are assistant surgeons and anesthesiologists. You can do your research until your blue in the face and think you covered every base, but ultimately when the bills start arriving only then do you find out that something was missed and there's nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdrake said:

Looking back with 13+ months post-op experience, I wish I had done it sooner.  No pain or tingling for the first time in more than a decade.  I feel like a new person!  I even started CrossFit back in January.

I always tell my patients that i would much rather have then say "I wish that I did this sooner" rather than "I wish I didn't do this."  You are ready when you are ready.  Most of the time it is ok to wait unit it is the right time for you.  Sorry it was such an ordeal to get you fixed up.  Good job seeking out the right doc for you.  I'll have more about that for @peevee offline. 

5 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Come on Andrew, it's not as if he's a brain surgeon.

My favorite t-shirt: "It's not Rocket Surgery"  

Today was all spine surgery.  Tomorrow is lumber fusion surgery and then a brain tumor.  I love that everyday is different.

@Hyett6420 - really not all that impressive - when I'm at home, I am still the trash boy (have to remember to take it our Thursday night <_<).  And it doesn't get me any priority with ATC.

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

While we are divulging out spinal frailties, let me add my spinal stenosis.

Sounds like you are in a much better situation than some of the others.  Spinal stenosis can certainly be a bad problem, but the fixes are a little easier.  Physical Therapy, Injections by pain management.  If that doesn't work, the surgery for that is usually about 1 hour or so and maybe home same day or one night in the hospital.  Probably flying in under one month.  Feel free to PM with questions.

3 hours ago, Danb said:

like Drake most likely had no other  choice, I've got spondylolisthesis,you need to due your due diligence in finding the correct diagnosis and more importantly finding and evaluating the doctor's including the hospital.The internet is great and bad but full of information of which we didn't have years ago.

Yes, the spondy often progresses to needing surgery.   I absolutely recommend looking around for the correct surgeon for you.  The internet is a good starting point, but don't rely solely on the bad or good that you see there.  

3 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I was depressed yesterday when the Doc said I needed to keep  using my back brace for 6 more weeks. This thread has sure cheered me up, I'd happily keep it on all summer if it meant not having to go though what some of you guys have had to.  

I usually treat spine fractures (I am assuming here, I couldn't find it rereading the accident thread) for about 12 weeks in the brace.  Depends a little on the type of injury, but that is a good general rule.  If you are complaining about the brace, that is awesome!  Given what you could have been complaining about - I'll take it. :)  I hope all else is healing well! 

4 hours ago, AndyFromCB said:

I've got a bone spur in my neck that more or less causes my entire left side to feel numb every now and then. Getting old is so much fun. Just like you I've done my research and talked to quite a few surgeons all over US of A, but for now decided to skip getting my neck ripped apart, because that's what the procedure entails. Waiting for surgical/laser technology to advance some more.

Bone spurs in the neck are usually fairly easy to deal with.  If you are talking about a cervical discectomy and fusion, you could be back in flying shape in 2-4 weeks.  If it is just a pinched nerve, put it off as long as you can deal with it (pinched spinal cords are a different issue).  Happy to answer questions if you want. 

A second opinion is always a good thing when considering anything like spine surgery.  No one should discourage it if you mention seeking one.  Don't feel bad about it.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, BradB said:

Bone spurs in the neck are usually fairly easy to deal with.  If you are talking about a cervical discectomy and fusion, you could be back in flying shape in 2-4 weeks.  If it is just a pinched nerve, put it off as long as you can deal with it (pinched spinal cords are a different issue).  Happy to answer questions if you want.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind if I decide to go the surgery route. I forgot the anatomical details but basically it's a spur on C4 or C5 or C6 pressing on the nerve going into my left hand. It's been going on for 3 or 4 years now. Initially the pain became unbearable, after about a week of zero sleep, I went on a course of opiates and steroids for a few days just to catch up on sleep (of course I did not fly for a while after I stopped taking the meds). Since then I've been able to manage it with PT but I did end up taking some prednisone once last year for a week due to pain.

Considering a site cortisone injection on my next flare up, when it happens. Currently it's just annoying more than anything, the numbness that is. Powered adjustable height desk is a life safer.

Edited by AndyFromCB
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BradB said:

I always tell my patients that i would much rather have then say "I wish that I did this sooner" rather than "I wish I didn't do this."  You are ready when you are ready.  Most of the time it is ok to wait unit it is the right time for you.  Sorry it was such an ordeal to get you fixed up.  Good job seeking out the right doc for you.  

Sounds like my doc. Very conservative, recommended some alternatives and wanted to make sure I was ready. He was also prescient. I had just about decided I'd had enough when he called me at home one evening to ask how I was doing. "It's time," was my short reply.

Had a broken back in '94. Replace two vertebrae and bone craft another one. Told me I would never be able to use my back normal again. Said may be 60%. 23years later and I'm flying. Good gym, good food and dont tell me I cant. If you take it easy you will be up in no time. It took me 4months. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, eman1200 said:

L5/S1 micro.  BradB probably could'a done this in his sleep.

Me too. One of the best choices I've ever made. No amount of PT was going to fix it as a piece of the disc had broken off and lodged against the nerves. I was hunched over and in a wheelchair at the end. I still have back issues, but I can live with it so far. After all the responses here and the fact that I have no hardware pictures to show, I wasn't even going to mention it, but since you did...

16 hours ago, BradB said:
19 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I was depressed yesterday when the Doc said I needed to keep  using my back brace for 6 more weeks. This thread has sure cheered me up, I'd happily keep it on all summer if it meant not having to go though what some of you guys have had to.  

I usually treat spine fractures (I am assuming here, I couldn't find it rereading the accident thread) for about 12 weeks in the brace.  Depends a little on the type of injury, but that is a good general rule.  If you are complaining about the brace, that is awesome!  Given what you could have been complaining about - I'll take it. :)  I hope all else is healing well! 

L1 compression fracture, and fractures of the Transverse process on L1,L2, L3.  All on the left side.  From what I understand on back injuries I got off easy.:)

The back brace is annoying, but I am getting used to it.  I have no pain what so ever.  I'm very happy with how my back is working out.

Dan

• Like 1

Are you sure it didn't happen in a motor vehicle collision, preferably caused by a tractor trailer? If so, I could probably get you well into the seven figures!:) The greenback poultice has been known to help the recovery process along quite nicely!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 4:32 PM, Danb said:

I like Drake most likely had no other  choice, I've got spondylolisthesis,you need to due your due diligence in finding the correct diagnosis and more importantly finding and evaluating the doctor's including the hospital.The internet is great and bad but full of information of which we didn't have years ago.

I had my first spondy diagnosis when in 1971 and was in a back brace for almost a year. Nothing to wow the girls in high school like a back brace! Fast forward to now and I have a 3rd degree spondy diagnosis, but the problem is managed through stretching, exercise and taking it easy when I should. I saw my father go through a spinal fusion in the 1960's and decided I would try to avoid surgery if at all possible when I was diagnosed. I agree with @BradB: when I am ready to do it I will, but until then my decision is to work with what I have. 

Besides, I use it as my incentive to work out and try to keep weight off.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Are you sure it didn't happen in a motor vehicle collision, preferably caused by a tractor trailer? If so, I could probably get you well into the seven figures!:) The greenback poultice has been known to help the recovery process along quite nicely!

My fear of a collision with a tractor trailer is what led me to fly that trip.  Can we get 7 figures out of that?

• Like 2

I'll echo what's already been said.  When it's time, you'll know.  If the pain outweighs the fear, then it's time to get the surgery.

Too many years in the F-15 took a toll on my neck.  It got to the point where I couldn't look at the left wing without leaning forward and bending at the waist, and my left arm was numb much of the time.  I did some "due diligence" and found a good (make that great) surgeon.  He fused three vertebrae and added a plate.  Now, no pain and no loss of motion.  I could have gone back to work in a couple of days...

2014-05-13 11.03.39.jpg

• Like 2