any of you guys had back surgery?

13 minutes ago, peevee said:

doc suggests I do, I've heard nothing but horror stories so I'm a little... hesitant.

I imagine it'll mean no flying for at least 4-6 months, plus no work for at least 2 or so. That's it's own can of worms.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

I haven't, but could use it. I'm replying so that I receive the responses.

All depends on the specific surgery and the underlying cause for the surgery.  4-6 months of no flying would be pretty drastic.  

I do brain and spine surgery to pay for 100LL.

direct message me details, phone# etc.  I'd be happy to discuss with you.  

Brad. 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, BradB said:

All depends on the specific surgery and the underlying cause for the surgery.  4-6 months of no flying would be pretty drastic.  

I do brain and spine surgery to pay for 100LL.

direct message me details, phone# etc.  I'd be happy to discuss with you.  

Brad. 

thanks, sent you a PM.

come out west, you can do it. :D

• Like 1

Have had several fusions and discectomies over the past 30 years with hardware to back it up.  I was seriously concerned about the impact it would have on my flying but ultimately I could no longer deal with the pain.

Most recent was February 2016.  Rather significant procedure - two discs replaced, fusion and the support hardware (the lower hardware in the pic).  Was back in the plane at the end of April.

As a practical matter, Feb in NJ isn't always the best time to fly so I wrote off the bulk of Feb and March.  My annual was due in March so a friend was kind enough to shuttle it to the MSC and I got an April sign off.  Both plane and pilot were in the shop at the same time.  It worked out OK.

I'd be very happy to talk offline and help you understand more about my experience.  Between me and the doc above, should give you a couple really good data points.  Just PM.

fusion.PNG.b84b7a1c5404e6b0c5729c469ccc9745.PNG

1 hour ago, peevee said:

thanks, sent you a PM.

come out west, you can do it. :D

I've flown as far as India to a surgery for someone before.  

'I'm starting another surgery shortly, I'll take a look at the message and get back this evening. 

brad

• Like 1

The procedures are never pleasant and as mentioned above I was worried that a bad outcome could take flying off the table.   I did a fair amount of diligence on the doc/practice and hospital.  It certainly sucked having to get it done in a remote city but in the end, the positive outcome was worth it.  Looking back with 13+ months post-op experience, I wish I had done it sooner.  No pain or tingling for the first time in more than a decade.  I feel like a new person!  I even started CrossFit back in January.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

That's an impressive collection of hardware!  

Clarrence

We all complain about the cost of airplane parts.  The list price for each of the titanium screws is probably in the neighborhood of $800.   And that doesn't include the rods or locking caps.   Smart hospitals don't actually pay list price.  But it is still crazy expensive.  

Brad

• Like 1

All-in I was billed enough to cover an Acclaim and a early 80's vintage J.  In the end, the insurance company ultimately contributed enough to cover an Acclaim.  Unclear what the parts department charged...

30 minutes ago, jdrake said:

I did a fair amount of diligence on the doc/practice and hospital.

that's another stumbling block for me. I don't know how to decide if this guys wroth a darn or not. He's done it before I guess, so that's good.

I don't think I can travel for this, maybe I can. Who knows. It's worth exploring.

1 hour ago, BradB said:

We all complain about the cost of airplane parts.  The list price for each of the titanium screws is probably in the neighborhood of $800.   And that doesn't include the rods or locking caps.   Smart hospitals don't actually pay list price.  But it is still crazy expensive.  

Brad

Wow - and here I was impressed with this week's episode of grey's anatomy that the fictional doctor flew to Bozeman, MT - on a gulf stream - for a transplant.

• Like 1

Peeve. You can contact me for any info. I've had 6 back/ neck surgeries, have three fusions in my neck and six in my back, I missed 6 months of flying with my last surgery a 26 hour surgery at Hopkins, I had an ALIF,PLIF AND XLIF at the same time. Went from almost no chance to golf, 50 % or less to fly and good chance for a wheelchair, I play golf regularly and fly often. I'll be more than happy if you need any guidance

Hang in there

Dan

Jdrake we should compare or messes, 

• Like 3

Jdrake you in NJ and me I De maybe we can get together and rap sometime, we have similar stuff, my major surgery was on my 60th birthday for real, it would be great to talk with someone with similar problems. A couple yrs ago I had all my lower screws and rods removed trying to alleviate more pain which was successful.

3 hours ago, jdrake said:

The procedures are never pleasant and as mentioned above I was worried that a bad outcome could take flying off the table.   I did a fair amount of diligence on the doc/practice and hospital.  It certainly sucked having to get it done in a remote city but in the end, the positive outcome was worth it.  Looking back with 13+ months post-op experience, I wish I had done it sooner.  No pain or tingling for the first time in more than a decade.  I feel like a new person!  I even started CrossFit back in January.

Oh, the tingle. I've got a bone spur in my neck that more or less causes my entire left side to feel numb every now and then. Getting old is so much fun. Just like you I've done my research and talked to quite a few surgeons all over US of A, but for now decided to skip getting my neck ripped apart, because that's what the procedure entails. Waiting for surgical/laser technology to advance some more.

I like Drake most likely had no other  choice, I've got spondylolisthesis,you need to due your due diligence in finding the correct diagnosis and more importantly finding and evaluating the doctor's including the hospital.The internet is great and bad but full of information of which we didn't have years ago.

I was depressed yesterday when the Doc said I needed to keep  using my back brace for 6 more weeks. This thread has sure cheered me up, I'd happily keep it on all summer if it meant not having to go though what some of you guys have had to.  

• Like 3