Partnership in Spokane / Coeur dalene area

Ragsf15e

Hi Drew, don't know anyone on the left coast looking for a partner, but although it might not really be my business, I am interested in knowing why you want a FIKI equipped airplane?  I realize that this post might belong in the general section, but I couldn't let it go.  Although far from an expert, I have been flying over 40 years, and have seen some real problems with icing in a single.  With the FAA limits of 45 minutes max into know icing, is it really a place for us?  There is a good article to read that might be of interest, and who knows might save you a lot of money and possibly more... http://www.optair.com/archives/6861

In certain areas of the country you might have known icing conditions for weeks / months at a time.  Having the ability to legally push through some of these layers helps to give some usefulness to the aircraft...

good luck on on your search, should be a number of fiki planes out there

Edited by Godfather

41 minutes ago, Sherman18 said:

Hi Drew, don't know anyone on the left coast looking for a partner, but although it might not really be my business, I am interested in knowing why you want a FIKI equipped airplane?  I realize that this post might belong in the general section, but I couldn't let it go.  Although far from an expert, I have been flying over 40 years, and have seen some real problems with icing in a single.  With the FAA limits of 45 minutes max into know icing, is it really a place for us?  There is a good article to read that might be of interest, and who knows might save you a lot of money and possibly more... http://www.optair.com/archives/6861

because he lives in a part of the country with some of the worst icing around, just a guess.

No offense Roger, but the same argument can be made for staying on the ground period. Small airplanes are dangerous in clear VFR conditions, they are also dangerous in IMC, at night, over water, over mountains, over cities, and in icing conditions. Feel free to stay home if you like. But there are many on this forum with lots of experience flying FIKI Mooney's and using them very safely and effectively. 

I love my F model, but there are 3-4 months out of the year when it's only useable 2-3 days per month.

I understand the limitations on small airplanes and icing and don't intend to cruise in it.  Around here, I could fly all winter if I could climb/descend through a 2-3000' layer with light to moderate ice.  Cruise would be in the clear.  The weather isn't really low, but low enough to stop you from going anywhere vfr below the clouds - especially with the mountains around. 

Lots of SR22s around flying all winter safely...although I prefer Mooney.

• Like 1