Another Radio Call Question

On 3/20/2017 at 11:05 AM, Bob - S50 said:

OK, here's another radio call question/suggestion.

When I'm nearing an airport I normally hear something like this:  "Pierce County traffic, Mooney xxx is 5 miles East, will cross over the field at 2000' and maneuver to set up for a 45 to left downwind runway 35 Pierce County."

Why don't we just say something like, "Pierce County traffic, Mooney xxx, 5 miles East for a standard entry runway 35 Pierce County."?

OK, let me have it!

Bob

This would be my call as I'm about to enter the pattern: Pierce County traffic, Mooney xxx is 3 miles to the East, will overfly the field at 2000' and circle back for the 45 to left downwind 35 Pierce County.

1 hour ago, 201er said:

I don't know. I fly a Mooney. That whole over the airport, tear drop, 45 business is for students and cessnas. I'm already on the ground having lunch by the time they're done with their practice routine.

I just call 20 miles out and announce I'm straight in to the most convenient runway.  

• Like 3

10 mile - Podunk town traffic Mooney xxx 10 mile , mid 45 downwind 16 left

5 mile - Podunk town traffic Mooney xxx 5 mile , mid 45 downwind 16 left

Podunk town traffic Mooney xxx entering mid 45 left downwind 16

Podunk town traffic Mooney xxx  turning left  base 16

Podunk town traffic Mooney xxx , final 16

I don't want to know your life story, just where to look for you and where I am.  I will call who is number one and two and so forth.

my expectation is that you are not descending into the traffic pattern, unless you are doing an overhead maneuver (break). Then you should be 500 feet over TAP at centerline. to the runway.

If doing an overhead break I will call where I will break.   Break mid 45 to left 16 downwind.

if it gets screwy I don't believe in right of way, I will stay outside the pattern till everyone else works it out.

I called right crosswind and the guy behind me call mid field.  So I told him he was number one.   There was no way for me to be in a place to see and avoid.  wife was not happy as she had to pee.

• Like 1