Fuel Sending Units

Anyone have a picture of a fuel sending unit for 73 M20E or of one that was used in this series of Mooney. Not sure if they were all the same. I bought a set off of EBay to send in for rebuild so I would not be out of service with my OEMs. The auction indicated these were from a E model. I've never had the ones in my plane out so I'm not quite sure for comparison and these do not have a part number stamped. I can vaguely see what I think says "AC" stamped. they are 5 hole. Just want to make sure they are correct before I send them in for the rebuild. I'm 95% that they are the correct ones, I think Bob posted a picture a while back looking in the forum search. Here is a quick picture. Do these look correct for M20E? Hate to send in the wrong ones for a rebuild. Mine are okay, but looking to get more accuracy out of my JPI.

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

sender 4.JPG

sender 3.JPG

sender 2.JPG

• 9 months later...
5 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

That is the current price

ouch.  where are people getting them rebuilt these days?  My plane came with a spare set the guy said probably needed rebuilding but my IA says hes never had that great of luck rebuilding them.

I thought those digital CEIS units are only $350ish.  How the hell are ancient resistive senders close to $500?  Nevermind... Aviation.

Back in 2013, the cost to o/h our fuel sender was $166.50, with a 3 day turn (plus shipping time).   It was done at Air Parts of Lockhaven.  Here's the 2013 contact info:

http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/

Rose L. Mumbauer

570-748-0823

570-748-1786 F

ROSEM@AIRPARTSOFLOCKHAVEN.COM

ouch.  where are people getting them rebuilt these days?  My plane came with a spare set the guy said probably needed rebuilding but my IA says hes never had that great of luck rebuilding them.
I thought those digital CEIS units are only $350ish.  How the hell are ancient resistive senders close to $500?  Nevermind... Aviation.

I checked with Lockhaven during the summer and I can’t recall the exact amount for a rebuild. But the delta between the CiES Oshkosh price and Lockhaven’s rebuild price was close enough for me to go with the CiES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well... as it happens I won a pair of CiES at the MooneySummit, thanks Scott, and I have a working pair of resistive sensors that I just removed. They are not pretty, they don't even match, but they were working just fine. I had them rebuilt by Lock Haven as part of my panel upgrade in Dec. 2012. 

We're calibrating the new ones tomorrow to the new 64 gallon capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Well... as it happens I won a pair of CiES at the MooneySummit, thanks Scott, and I have a working pair of resistive sensors that I just removed. They are not pretty, they don't even match, but they were working just fine. I had them rebuilt by Lock Haven as part of my panel upgrade in Dec. 2012. 

So what do you want for them?  

4 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

So what do you want for them?  

Based on the posts above, what about $100 ea.? (Have you checked with Alan Fox, Jerry Pressly?)

They are working great - my last flight was 5.5 hours and I landed with exactly the 7 gallons that the gauges were showing.  

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Based on the posts above, what about $100 ea.? (Have you checked with Alan Fox, Jerry Pressly?)

They are working great - my last flight was 5.5 hours and I landed with exactly the 7 gallons that the gauges were showing.  

Sounds fair.  Ill take them.  

On 12/20/2017 at 8:10 PM, Bob_Belville said:

I was under the impression these went in from inside the cab behind the panel somewhere around the foot well for the back seat.

Doing my annual today I noticed the sender seem to be outboard on the wings?  Are there multiple senders?

If they are outboard whats the fuel smell in the cab coming from?  What else fuel wise goes from the wing inside the cab?

Its definately not coming from my fuel tank switcher or the pull to drain between the pilots feet.

And it looks like theres blue from an old leak on the carpet in the back.

I was under the impression these went in from inside the cab behind the panel somewhere around the foot well for the back seat.
Doing my annual today I noticed the sender seem to be outboard on the wings?  Are there multiple senders?
If they are outboard whats the fuel smell in the cab coming from?  What else fuel wise goes from the wing inside the cab?
Its definately not coming from my fuel tank switcher or the pull to drain between the pilots feet.
And it looks like theres blue from an old leak on the carpet in the back.
What model do you have? C & E have only one per side. F & J have 2.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What model do you have? C & E have only one per side. F & J have 2.

In either case there is a sender in the cabin, under the door for the right tank and in the same position on the other side for the left. 5 screws and wires, you can't miss it when you remove the side panels.

47 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

In either case there is a sender in the cabin, under the door for the right tank and in the same position on the other side for the left. 5 screws and wires, you can't miss it when you remove the side panels.

67 F model.

Ill have to go back through the parts and service manuals.  I dont remember seeing 2 but the sketches weren't great.

hmm i wonder if the part numbers are the same on the inner and outer and E vs F.

The JOKE  is that these are '50's vintage auto senders made by AC.  The auto restoration guys have available to them brand new units (at a fraction of rewinding/rebuilding the old units), superior construction, GOOGLE '59 Buick fuel sender and enjoy the results.

Wow, it seems like a hangar fairy can buy one, switch the float/arm, and be in business?! I’m assuming it’s not the float (leaking) that’s the problem.

40 minutes ago, mike20papa said:

The JOKE  is that these are '50's vintage auto senders made by AC.  The auto restoration guys have available to them brand new units (at a fraction of rewinding/rebuilding the old units), superior construction, GOOGLE '59 Buick fuel sender and enjoy the results.

yep, as always in aviation it is a $500.00 solution to $30.00 problem

13 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

hmm so does it average them?  they both connect to the same gauge?  Hadnt heard of multiple except in plane with the extended tanks.

They're connected in series, so the sensed resistance is the sum of the resistance of both senders.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2017 at 6:44 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Hey Bob, 

I just received my EDM 900, I’m going from the 830. I was wondering if I should upgrade to the CiES sensors. And is changing them out just as simple as pulling the old ones out of the tank and installing the CiES units? Then hooking them up to the edm?