IPAD Mini Vs Pro

I have the iPad air in portrait view on my yoke and my wife has the mini on the copilot side. Love the coverage the larger format gives me. I typically keep in zoomed in to gliding distance at the altitude I am flying or slightly less.

IMG_2402.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this and picked up a mini 4 recently to use in addition to my Air 2, but specifically to yoke mount.  

For those with the Ram mini mount: is there enough play and extension in the mount arrangement to mount the mini offset to the right? I want to ensure there is lots of space around the left yoke horn for my ham-fisted stabbing during landings.

The asymmetric layout bothers my eye, but would rather not congest the yoke grip too much.

I have been following this and picked up a mini 4 recently to use in addition to my Air 2, but specifically to yoke mount.   For those with the Ram mini mount: is there enough play and extension in the mount arrangement to mount the mini offset to the right? I want to ensure there is lots of space around the left yoke horn for my ham-fisted stabbing during landings.

The asymmetric layout bothers my eye, but would rather not congest the yoke grip too much.

There are several length arms for the ram mounts, and several back/holder variations. I went through two arm lengths, and two holders before I found what is the perfect mount for me. I have no interference with yoke buttons, nor with viewing the instruments. I use the Mini 4 running ForeFlight in portrait mode.

f96ba6ba26205dd561deea37cd4bfc16.jpg

56bf6d439f998d410405a3b9dcdf3bf4.jpg

In flight the yoke is back further than in the photos, and the holder does not block the instruments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have an iPad Air 2 right now and it usually sits on my lap. I'm thinking about switching to the mini but waiting for the new ones to come out. If they don't, I may just get the iPad Pro (smaller one).

The Apple rumor mills I have been reading are suggesting that there will not be a new Mini in the iPad lineup to be announced later this year. Apparently (outside of aviation) it is not a big seller. Personally, since the Mini 4 has the Retina screen, and a decent processor, I see little need for an upgraded version. Sure better sunlight readability, an OLED screen, and better heat tolerance would be nice, but I carry an iPad 3 (I've lost track of the iPad nomenclature) as a back-up. I just leave it on the co-pilot seat, under something to keep it cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having tried the various yoke and window mounts as pictured, I never really found a position for everything that was comfortable while maintaining function at the same time. At some point, something would be obstructed from view.  With my panel upgrade to the GTN 750 and the 345R moved to the battery compartment, it left enough room on the panel to put an iPad mini mount.   This is a much more invasive solution but, if you ever upgrade your panel and have this option, I highly suggest you consider it.  Very functional while keeping all the panel data visible.

IMG_0955.JPG

• Like 2

Bingo!

Winner!

Way to go Tim!

I can't think of a better way to handle getting a decent consumer electronics device to be so useable, without the baggage of intereference with certified stuff.

I think Byron showed a similar type of installation using a smaller device.

I am suddenly getting tired of my iPad on my knee.

Nicely done.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I like Tim's setup, but I flew my 172 with a thigh mount. Personally, I dont want anything on my yoke. It doesnt hinder movement but it FEELS like it's in the way and I want nothing to do with it. 

I'm also an iPad mini person. I dont want a gigantic screen taking up all the room. And I had a '56 172 which is entirely different than most. The size of the windshield was huge and I had all the space in the world. I wanted as little as possible in my sight picture

The way my mount is configured, there is an iPad charging cord inside the mount to maintain your charge level (no cords dangling).  Simply push in and down on your pad to remove it from the mount.  Takes about 10 seconds to put in or out after you plug or unplug it.  The mount holds it quite firm even in turbulence.  There is a small piece of SCAT hose that scavenges from the interior vent hose and is discharged directly onto the back of the iPad to help keep it cool as well.  

Tim