Tips for having dogs as passengers

Fipdublin

Two words: Dog hair! Everywhere...We took the two Beagles several years ago... no more!

Yves

Five canine flying tips:

1. Only fly with poodles, very high IQ and they don't shed.

2. When flying with pets always have spouse accompany you to talk the soothing baby sweetie doggie talk.

3. Never fly with Bassets, IQ very low, and always run the risk of having to squawk 7700 If they should try to take over controls.

4. Please ignore all canine wailing altitude call outs at MDA. Always rely on your radar altimeter or AMS2000 Shadin connected to a Falcon altitude encoder. Reliably reports in 10' increments.

5. 10-25 mg. acepromazine tabs, depending upon weight. A little sedation never hurt anything.

(Just my experience as a DVM)

Best

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Two words: Dog hair! Everywhere...We took the two Beagles several years ago... no more!

Yves

Five canine flying tips:

1. Only fly with poodles, very high IQ and they don't shed.

2. When flying with pets always have spouse accompany you to talk the soothing baby sweetie doggie talk.

3. Never fly with Bassets, IQ very low, and always run the risk of having to squawk 7700 If they should try to take over controls.

4. Please ignore all canine wailing altitude call outs at MDA. Always rely on your radar altimeter or AMS2000 Shadin connected to a Falcon altitude encoder. Reliably reports in 10' increments.

5. 10-25 mg. acepromazine tabs, depending upon weight. A little sedation never hurt anything.

Better then a Poodle is a Labradoodle... same high IQ, doesn't shed, but much more mellow and doesn't ever require sedation. Ours is relaxed enough to lay down in the back while wearing her O2 mask.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JoshMan said:

You should all get Chihuahuas. They love flying!58f37cd5ac74d_image1(1).thumb.JPG.ce5a9347221e7cf9cd3a1679c769fc2c.JPG

Did someone say Chihuahua?

Here are some pictures from a few years ago when my son and I flew with just shy of a dozen chihuahuas.  Definitely one of my more memorable flights.

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

• Like 5