Tips for having dogs as passengers

Fipdublin

How come all of my pictures are rotated 90 degrees?
Here's Strava and our other dog, Cupid, who you see is a big girl.  I never thought of flying with her since she is not a big fan even of driving, plus as a much bigger girl, she would be more of a handful in and out of the plane.  She is 10 now, but she has been acting like a puppy again since we got Strava.
IMG_0422.thumb.JPG.5ecd53f77d0b2e6adb27d5e3a9351219.JPG
IMG_0426.thumb.JPG.ee6a035f67f9efe96f3ca82e46cf266e.JPG

6ad31edd109091db1fcbbd6de8e47df5.jpg

f79e689bc70c7f007dee128581848856.jpg

48803fedea2ca85a18d7d6c098302ee3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good luck with the pups we need to get Magneto up in the plane again his first trip he did fine until we left the runway after landing then he got sick but he has that same problem in the car if the road is curvy. As for the pics being sideways my wife takes pics with her phone then sends them to my iPad if I don't edit them first and then save they will be sideways. If I do a quick edit then they post right side up. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

So today, I was thinking of flying again with Strava, but my wife had an idea, that since she was nervous last time, to just sit in the plane with her for a while so she could just be used to the environment.

So despite a beautiful day, we DIDN't fly - we just sat in the airplane together for about 20 minutes until she got drowsy and went to sleep.  I know in this picture she might not look it, but that's her content and cozy look.  Plus she's wearing her harness and after awhile I clipped her in.

I ordered her a puppy sized headset so after she gets used to that at home, then next up probably later in the week we go fly.  Maybe she can be my safety pilot while I shoot some approaches?

IMG_0454.JPG

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 4

Well Tony, as big as your dog is....there have been bigger animals transported by air.

How about an Orca Whale by "wet transport" (in a tank in water): in a UPS 747 airplane.  Special delivery.  I wonder how many stamps it takes to deliver a whale.  And if you get a tracking number?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24141/how-do-you-transport-whale

I wonder if they put a whale-headset on to keep the whale happy.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/OMorc-Harness-Vehicle-Seatbelt-Material/dp/B01K1TYLKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490017974&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dog+car+leash&psc=1

These actually will clip into aircraft seatbelts.  That plus a harness will allow the dog to move around and get comfortable but will restrain them from jumping into the front or back. 

I would love to figure out how to get ours into the plane but if he or his sister ever jumped into the baggage area we would go down tail first very quickly.

58cfc45a6c21f_IMG_1043.JPG(2).thumb.JPG.211251a1e81defcd9650dfc89ad1f361.JPG

I would just saddle them and leave the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Another suggestion from my genius wife - try flying with her favorite dog bed for her to sleep in - its like her baby blanket.

Plus we received the headset a few days ago and spent a bit of time adapting to it by wearing it and getting treats, at home.

So today we went flying together!

It went VERY well!  She didn't seem bothered and curled up and went to sleep.  No big deal!

Now I'm shopping for one of those cute doggy co-pilot jackets.

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

• Like 2

I guess I'm primarily a cat person but on PnP flights I've found dogs treat the airplane like a car, although they can't stick their noses out the window :)

The one accessory I've found useful is a tether that locks into the seatbelt. Let's them move freely about the rear while still being under some restraint.

• Like 5

Interesting timing. My long trip tomorrow is to pick up a puppy. Frankly, ear protection never even occurred to me. I hope a 3 hr flight won't cause any major damage to a 9 week old pup. 

I worry more about long-term exposure with my 5-year-old Eli but it wouldn't hurt to stuff some cotton or foam plugs in your young pup's ears. Then again lots of people don't share my concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took the dog to hang out at the airport today...

They definitely have some noise sensitivity issues.  

She was not happy when a Turbine Piper took off...

She didn't even notice the Piper Tri-pacer running on the ramp, but neither did I...:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Mutt muffs make a difference in comfort for our furry friends, and helps protect their hearing which is more sensitive than ours particularly if you fly with them a lot. Dogs do tend to knock them off though, so what I find helpful is to put them on just before startup, start your engine, and then by taxi they have usually got them off, and when you put them back on again, they usually keep them on as they realize how much quieter it is with them on.

• Like 1