check your handheld batteries

I carry an Icom handheld transciever with external antenna for backup. When I had my electrical failure yesterday this is what I found.. I had a spare battery case and batteries but the case was so heavily corroded in place that couldn't get it off.. Been using Kirkland (Costco) batteries a long time with no problems. Battery use by dates that I can see are Dec. 2023. Installed new batteries and case and cleaned contacts and it works fine. I am going to try to check these periodically in the future. Will Costco buy me a new battery case?

IMG_1401.JPG

That's historically common with alkaline batteries that are left in-circuit.  For things that aren't used often but may be needed on short notice, it's best to leave the batteries uninstalled but with the unit.   For equipment like this it's a good idea to inspect them frequently and turn the device on to check the battery level as they can self-discharge over time, too.

I take spare batts with me for anything handheld, including my tablet, handheld radio, oximeter, stratux, etc.   An exception is the CO sensor, as the battery in it is made for extended low-current in-circuit use.

Bottom line, alkaline batteries do that.  It's not a Costco thing, it's an alkaline battery thing.

• Like 1

I don't have the Costco batteries anymore, but half the stuff I never use and shove a Duracell in I find leaking a couple years later. Most of my stuff I now use Low-Self-Discharge NiMH like Eneloops, I haven't had one of those leak yet....

Yeah, the NiMH batteries are actually designed to vent while charging and discharging (you can see the little hole by the + terminal), but they also only put out 1.2V, which means high current devices will run out of juice sooner, even though the batteries are only partly discharged.

Alternative to taking alkaline batteries out during disuse, you can stick a piece of paper or plastic between one of the batteries and one of its contacts (or adjacent battery if present).  this prevents any always-on current that a lot of devices with digital on/off switches have.

Any idea how careful you need to be when cleaning all that extra chemistry up?

its inevitable to find some leaking batteries in the portable device. I always store them in the device with extras outside the device.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I have a sporty hand held with  Duracell Batteries installed. It was lost in an old flight training box for 9years.  I found it recently. The radio still transmitted and the batteries were not corroded. I was highly impressed!!

-Matt

For everything important and potentially unused I use the expensive (non reusable) energizer lithium batteries. They have lots of juice, insanely long battery life, lightweight, and no leaks as far as I can tell. Haven't had them go on fire yet either.

• Like 1