JPI 830 download Dump

So this is my first owner problem. I have an 830 and want to do a data download to put it on Savvy but I can't get it to. When I hold down the LF And Step buttons for more than 5 seconds and get into the programming mode I scroll through to the Dump? N and when I press the LF button to switch to transfer the data to the flash drive, it does nothing. I've read the manual and read the instructions off Savvy. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for some reason, some usb drives don't work..  The one that came with the unit should work when you just insert it though...  Another owner recently had the same problem as you... even though he reformatted the usb to fat32, it still didn't work... so, he used another usb drive and it worked ok.. 

What happens when you plug it in? Without going into program mode?
It should ask if you want to dump new data, select yes...that's it.

It does nothing. Like it doesn't see it. I'm guessing it's not compatible?

It does nothing. Like it doesn't see it. I'm guessing it's not compatible?

My USB thumb drive failed on my 830. Find another one and format it for FAT32 and make sure it is not larger than a 4Gb. Larger ones won't work.

If after you do that and the drive still doesn't work, remove it, insert it again but wiggle it a little bit when it is in the port. It should automatically download. No digging into the menu should be required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

My USB thumb drive failed on my 830. Find another one and format it for FAT32 and make sure it is not larger than a 4Gb. Larger ones won't work.

If after you do that and the drive still doesn't work, remove it, insert it again but wiggle it a little bit when it is in the port. It should automatically download. No digging into the menu should be required.

The one I got is a 16gb. I bet that is the problem. Thanks

• Like 1

The seller didn't send the jpi thumb drive with the plane, I might call jpi and see if they will sell me one. It will be at least a week before I'm back at my plane as well.

Check the JPI website.  It is probably one of their parts.

Keep in mind they are not big G when it comes to these kind of things...

https://www.jpinstruments.com/product-category/adapters-and-cables/

i didn't see the USB bits, but the other devices for downloading data from the older models is there...

more details can be found in the user manual for your device.  Also on line... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

I just plug the memory stick that came with my JPI 730 in and its ready to dump (all or new). Then plug it into my laptop and click on EzTrend2.exe.

Pritch

Pritch, you gotta try out www.savvyanalysis.com/ An account is free and it provides free archival of your data and the online tools blows away EzTrends plus its makes its easy to share your data with your maintenance professional or anyone you want - or keep it private. 

Of course I work for Savvy, so I am bit biased, but its all true.

• Like 5

Pritch, you gotta try out www.savvyanalysis.com/ An account is free and it provides free archival of your data and the online tools blows away EzTrends plus its makes its easy to share your data with your maintenance professional or anyone you want - or keep it private. 

So Paul, what's the scoop with Mike B sending out an email asking people to sign up for a Patreon to benefit his activities?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

So Paul, what's the scoop with Mike B sending out an email asking people to sign up for a Patreon to benefit his activities?

Mike is looking for people to help sponsor him in writing his new book "Engines". As most know, all of his article writing, seminars, webinars, blogs etc that he does monthly for AOPA and EAA are done at his own expense including most if not all travel.  He coming down to San Diego to present next month to present a Wings seminar to our local pilots and he does this sort of stuff all the time at his own expense. Given all he does with his income limited to Savvy Aviation services and his legal expert testimony I believe he is looking at the Patreon program as a means to back off on the legal expert testimony so that he can free up enough time to dedicate to getting his next book on Engines. Mike is a super busy guy, and it made getting his Manifesto book out a real challenge and expect his forthcoming Engines book is a much bigger project and hence the need for some relief to dedicate time too it. Unfortunately even if its a best seller among us GA pilots, we all know its not going to generate the kind of  sales a book company would be able to grant Mike a sizable advance to write the book like a best seller novelist would get. Hence why he's looking for help. 

But I think you'll find this web page very helpful  https://www.patreon.com/savvyaviator

Already the support has been awesome in just the couple days since announcement.

Paul,

Can you set up a separate thread for the Mr. Bush book #2?

I think, if I understand correctly, this would be a book that would benefit most people on MS.

It looks like for a small amount of dollars, we get a copy of the first book...and for a few dollars more, a copy of the second book that is just being started...

I like aviation books, I like Mr. Bush's writing...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kortopates said:

Just joined, I do like it better, now I need to learn how to interpret the data. 

thanks Pritch

Mike is looking for people to help sponsor him in writing his new book "Engines". As most know, all of his article writing, seminars, webinars, blogs etc that he does monthly for AOPA and EAA are done at his own expense including most if not all travel.  He coming down to San Diego to present next month to present a Wings seminar to our local pilots and he does this sort of stuff all the time at his own expense. Given all he does with his income limited to Savvy Aviation services and his legal expert testimony I believe he is looking at the Patreon program as a means to back off on the legal expert testimony so that he can free up enough time to dedicate to getting his next book on Engines. Mike is a super busy guy, and it made getting his Manifesto book out a real challenge and expect his forthcoming Engines book is a much bigger project and hence the need for some relief to dedicate time too it. Unfortunately even if its a best seller among us GA pilots, we all know its not going to generate the kind of  sales a book company would be able to grant Mike a sizable advance to write the book like a best seller novelist would get. Hence why he's looking for help. 
But I think you'll find this web page very helpful  https://www.patreon.com/savvyaviator
Already the support has been awesome in just the couple days since announcement.

Thanks for explaining this. Patreon is used for a lot of things, just figured a guy with an established career wouldn't be setting up a "fund me" site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 16G works just fine, maybe depends on firmware version?

The earlier versions of the 830 (like mine) wouldn't support anything more than a 4Gb drive. I remember hitting up all the Best Buy's in town looking for one since everything else was 8 or 16.

Hope he gets it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro