Anyone have a PIREP on Bruce's full airplane covers set?

M20kflyer99

I'll be in Florida for a couple of months (KW) and will be stuck outside. I figured a full plane cover will go a long way for protection. Has anyone used one? How much of a PITA is it to get the tail and wings on alone?

I had a Cherokee with a canopy cover and had mixed feelings on that. It did a number on the windows when dust got under the cover in the windy SW Colorado.

Upon return away from Florida would it be wise to flush the airplane's hidden compartments with water to wash off the salt? I'm planning on going to coastal GA for two weeks next month and I'm curious to what extent the bird will be exposed to the corrosive environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yetti said:

There is a lot of aluminum on boats.   And they don't fall apart on a daily basis even though they are kept in salt water.

I think I'm just overthinking it then. These internet forums tend to fill me with paranoia quite easily. I always wondered why people freak out about localized corrosion of non-structural items. Its not like the wings (or anything) will fall off. I agree with mitigating the problem but at what length do we go? Pay $5000 to replace panels, etc. or just fly it for $0 and it'll last another 50 years.  I still have to order Bruce's cover for the tailcone and nose area to keep out those damn little birds.

Depends on how much you'd want to fly it while you're down there. The fuselage cover is bad enough and I'd think that doing the rest of the plane would be a real pain. I'd see if they can offer you some inside storage. It'd probably not cost much different than covers and would make your life a lot easier. Don't let them fuel your airplane unsupervised. I had a fueling issue with Signature where my tank loaded up with a bunch of water due to my fuel cap not being installed correctly. One of the internal tabs later broke off of that fuel cap a couple months later and I suspect it was related. 

In spite of all of that, the folks at Signature were wonderfully accommodating and did everything they could to assist me in making things right, especially considering how incredibly busy they were that weekend. 

Edited by Antares

Depends on how much you'd want to fly it while you're down there. The fuselage cover is bad enough and I'd think that doing the rest of the plane would be a real pain. I'd see if they can offer you some inside storage. It'd probably not cost much different than covers and would make your life a lot easier. Don't let them fuel your airplane unsupervised. I had a fueling issue with Signature where my tank loaded up with a bunch of water due to my fuel cap not being installed correctly. One of the internal tabs later broke off of that fuel cap a couple months later and I suspect it was related. 

I looked into it and the tie down itself is about 2-3x what I think it should be. The hangar for the extended period seemed like a no-go while they're in season

Have you considered Marathon instead? It's about an hour drive. IIRC, I was paying about $20/night at KEYW for parking. I guess it all depends on your mission, but I could see covers taking a good amount of time and frustration to install/remove. 

Edited by Antares

A buddy of mine moved to DC and purchased all the covers (padded wings for hail), he has used them for almost three years and the only compliant is the time to install and un-install (30~45 min. each way). Not sure how much stuff needs to go besides the covers but I would think a full set of covers will take up a lot space

A buddy of mine moved to DC and purchased all the covers (padded wings for hail), he has used them for almost three years and the only compliant is the time to install and un-install (30~45 min. each way). Not sure how much stuff needs to go besides the covers but I would think a full set of covers will take up a lot space

Do you know if he was able to use the fuselage covers without the wing covers?